Thread: paper patching bullets

Default paper patching bullets

I have been having troubles getting a patched bullet to work. My issue has been keeping the patch on the bullet on the way out of the barrel. I'm double wrapping with the patch but all I've managed to get so far are shotgun patterns and a well leaded barrel. The muzzleloader I'm using has a 1-20 twist and shooots maxi balls well, I read that patching often improves accuracy with under bore size bullets. Any tricks or recomendations for keeing the patch on the bullet as it travels down the barrel?

There are some very good write-ups on the technique on the web, but I don't have a chance to look for them at the moment. In the interim you might check both the Sharpes site and Castboolits. I know of guys in Idaho who use them very successfully in their muzzleloaders, casting conventional bullets and paper-patching those rather than using bullets specifically designed for paper patching.

I'm betting your issue is sizing- finding the right balance between paper thickness and the diameter of the bare bullet as they relate to your bore size. There's a good chance that the paper is too loose, or is somehow being torn in the process of loading. I haven't made them myself, but was given a box of 650 grain 50 cal versions for use in my 50-140 Sharpes cartridge gun. Impressive, with none of the problems you cite.

Yes, castboolits is a good place to check for info. Look here for starters:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=78472

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=81440

Not a ML obviously, but I've just begun PPing cast loads for my .358 Win.

Smile

Brown Bear, I found a slick way to make the paer stay in place. Use flat 7up/Sprite instead of water. The sugar acts like a psuedo glue and the paper sabot does it's job. My patterns are about 2 inches at 75 yards with iron sights. I guess a little sugar is what the doctor ordered.

I don't think I've ever used the word in association with muzzleloaders, but that's an elegant solution. Beautiful? Great? Dunno, but when something is so simple and effective, there's gotta be one right word! Well done.