Thread: Simple question for your gentlemen here

Exclamation Simple question for your gentlemen here

And this is the question ..

is the 308 caliber rifle good enough for Alaska hunting or do i need to pair it with something that is better suited for the Alaska big game up there..

along with what is the propler load for the following animals up there

Deer

Sheep or Mountain goats.

Elk

Moose

I do not plan for hunting any typle of hunting of the Alaska Grizzlies bear for my choice is to leave that animal along if it leaves me alone ..plus along with a heavy caliber back up revolver also will be carried just in case of a short range meeting the two partys and the meeting does not go well ..

For i been reading about the 7 mm or other calibers up there and i was wondering if the standard 308 loaded with 165.grain and the 180 grain should cover every game animal on the list there with the propler loading of the round for hunting..

Also would like your personal ideas about this four rds for the Alaska hunting ..i know they will done in the lower 48 states .but would like ideas about there use for up here..

Nosler Trophy Grade in 168 grain bt hollow point

Hornady Interlock in 168 grain amax

Federal Premium Vital-shock in 168 grain hollow point .

Federal Premium Vital-Shock in 180 grain hollow point .

I am a very big fan of the 168 grain bullet wieght and like for it all around use from diff types of hunting ..

The Alaska moose is the only animal iam worrying about takeing with a 308 cal for i know that it a very big animal and i want to put it down as fast and humanely as possible for the animal

Most of the hunting i plan to do is less then 400 yards a away from the animal when i take the shot ..the goats or sheep area is still got me thinking about a flat shooting rifle set up for them ..i do not know just yet,.

my girlfriend father Louie put this question inside my head the other day when he said you all ready have a one rifle ..learn to use it and you never go wrong with the fact that you know it better than any three rifles you own..plus the comment about buying reloading items and really learn how get the most out a rifle he tells me on the phone when i was asking about the 7 mm rifle ..

Yep it will work and I would stick with a 180 or 200 gr for everything so I knew my bullet as well as my gun

I think you need to keep your shots on moose or black bear under 300 yards with that caliber. If your hunting caribou or black tail a 400 yard shot would be stretching it's performance. Sure people including myself shoot 308's a lot further on paper but impact velocities need to be >1700fps on game to get proper penetration and expansion.

I'm hunting sheep this fall but I have decided to take my 300RUM based on my brothers experience. He has taken 14 sheep over the years and claims that the little guys generally don't let you get real close and personal. This will be my first and probably my last sheep hunt so I don't want to be to short.

You did make one big mistake Henry, thinking anyone here is a gentleman.

Quote Originally Posted by henry2 View Post
    my girlfriend father Louie put this question inside my head the other day when he said you all ready have a one rifle ..learn to use it and you never go wrong with the fact that you know it better than any three rifles you own..plus the comment about buying reloading items and really learn how get the most out a rifle he tells me on the phone when i was asking about the 7 mm rifle ..

Get with a moderator on here by the name of AK_Lanche. He's been totin a 308 since he was a young un. Although I won't speak on behalf of someone else, it appears he's going BACK to the 308 for mountain hunts after riding the magnum band wagon for a bit. A savage model 99 in 308 would be a killer rifle for alaska, as would a 20 in. barreled ruger ultra light. A 180 grain bullet out of a 308 would be a wonderful gun. The 308 makes a trim and handly little rifle and is plenty rifle. My last 308 was a 16 in. barreled 7600 rem. pump rifle, I didnt have good luck with it and will be setting my son up with a 308 BLR, Savage model 99, or winchester featherweight with the barrel chopped down and open sights attached. Check out the massive interior grizz that "stangerinastrangeland" and his lady took with an old russian surplus rifle........then think long and hard about the 308 again. (similiar ballistics to that russian round). I'm ashamed that the safe no longer has a 308 in it, soon to be fixed though.................

I have carried a 308 caliber rifle for over forty years now. Though I've never taken a moose with the cartridge, I've taken elk, black bear, pronghorn, sheep, one elk and deer by the dozens with it. It is very close to the '06 in field performance and with the right bullets and good marksmanship, will still get the job done. It is very capable of long range accuracy and I've used it on the long line as well as other long range shots. I have hits to my credit in excess of 800 yards with the cartridge and I find the it one of the most accurate ever designed.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I used a 308 for years, always kept my shots on caribou and moose under 200 yds. Last moose I shot with a 308 took multiple shots to bring it down at approximately 100 yds, all shots in the lung/heart area. I always try my best to keep the ranges within 200 yds on all the big game animals I hunt as much as possible. As for animals with claws and teeth that bite back I would use a larger caliber rifle. 200 yds maximum is my goal when I stalk any animal, if I can get closer than that I make the effort, all depends on the terrain, available cover and wind direction.
    In my area we have coastal brown bear some of them are good sized. One year my buddy and I were within a 75 yds of a 10ft bear and when he stood up on his hind legs and let out a big ole roar in our direction I felt a lil under-gunned with a 308. Needless to say the big ole boar lived to hunt his lands for another day, probably until old age brought him down.
    After that day I bought a 340 Weatherby, my buddy switched over to a 30-06 that his broinlaw gave to him after hearing the bear story.
    The bear factor should always be calculated into your decision when hunting in the bear's traditional hunting areas. Remember we are visitors in his lands.
    IMO 30-06 with good heavy bullets are a good starting point.

thank you for the info ..my girlfriend father says that gunwriters are in the business of saleing worthless pieces of rifles to public ..he says that there job is to sale you a bill of goods on a rifle that is the next best thing in the hunting the big game animal for that what the pros use so it got to be good way of thinking ..for it will make you the great white hunter as he calls it ..

he tells me you got a good rifle set up with a good scope ..just find the right load for the right size animal and go from there he says..his all around rifle that he has in the rack is a pre-64 winchester model 70 30-06 caliber rifle with a 3-x-9-x-32 scope on it ..he tells me that rifle has been all around alaska and can bring home the bacon when needed to and it never let him down he says ..'

for he really does belive in the one man one rifle way of thinking

Your .308 WIN cartridge is fine for a lot of things and a decent all'rouder for the most part.

Real problem I do see is that all the projectiles in you original post are paper punchers, varmint whackers, and for two legged hostiles. None are big or heavy game performers.

If you said 165-180 grain Nosler Partition and so on then that's more like it for ALASKA.

The Alaska moose is the only animal iam worrying about takeing with a 308 cal for i know that it a very big animal and i want to put it down as fast and humanely as possible for the animal
    You nailed it right there Henry! Well spoken. I would go with the heaviest partition round that's accurate from your rifle, and keep the shots under 200yds. Think of it as similar to the 30-06. The lighter/flatter stuff would be okay on the lighter animals. For taking Moose, elk, and for Bear defense...go heavy.

If realy worried get a M-1 to go with your M-14

I wouldn't hesitate to use a .308 for hunting the animals you listed, with an appropriate bullet.

In your original post, you listed several match bullets. I've seen the Hornady A-Max used on deer with good results, and I wouldn't hesitate to use the A-Max on sheep, caribou or black bear, but I wouldn't choose any of the other bullets you listed (especially for goat, elk and moose). I would choose a 165/168gr TSX instead.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Get with a moderator on here by the name of AK_Lanche. He's been totin a 308 since he was a young un. Although I won't speak on behalf of someone else, it appears he's going BACK to the 308 for mountain hunts after riding the magnum band wagon for a bit........
    This is true.

He's shot 'bou, moose, griz with his little remington model 7 (which his wife now inherited)

Part of the reason for going 'back' to the .308 Win for him was because the Kimber Montana in .308 was exactly 1 pound lighter than the counterpart in 300 WSM

I've used the .308 for years. It's likely my favorite rifle cartridge for a variety of reasons. On game I tend to stick to Partitions or a 180 Corelokt.

I wouldn't hesitate to shoot anything shy of a brownie with one at a reasonable range and I certainly wouldn't hesitate on bullwinkle.

If you are going to pick just one caliber for all hunting in Alaska then you need to consider the small game too not just heavy moose and bear. To me 308 or 30-06 are very good choices for all around Alaska hunting. They are a little light for the big stuff and a big hammer for smaller game but perfectly adequate on both ends of game size. Also they are common so ammo and components are easy to find making them economical to feed.

I have taken 2 big Arizona elk and one Alaska moose with my 308s, not a problem at all. My wife has 1 AZ elk and 4 AK moose with her 308 . . . the meet tests just like that shot with bigger calibers to me. We use 180g Nosler Partitions for everything so far but for sheep, goat, or boo I would work up a 165g Partition load to improve range. I have played with 200s and find they shoot good but are finicky to feed in my guns. I get no feeling of being under gunned with my Winchester model 88 in 308 when in the alders and would have no problem hunting brown bear with it as long as someone is backing me with some kind of heavy bullet slow moving stopper.

I know you have a 460S&W and that is what I do most of my hunting with these days. I have been hooked on handgun hunting for about 25 years anyway but since I got the 460 two years ago it has become my go to. Don’t tell my wife but I could (and lately do) do all my hunting with 4 guns a .22 Henry, 12 gage pump, model 88 308, and 460S&W.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

i me when ask why i do not want to try bear hunting ..i have this saying about bear and women at times ..why go looking for trouble when they find you soon enough when out in the woods..

i have bought the barrels inserts for the 12.ga barrel that shoots 410.ga the insert are 18.inchs long and can be used for small game hunting ..also i have email a company in Germany that makes a full length removeable barrel inserts for the 12.ga barrel they make in it in the two calibers i want -x-22.lr.cal -223.cal and 308.cal .. when hunting where a fast second shot would be need the 12.ga barrel can be turned into a second rifle barrel set up ..plus for diff areas i load up the 12.ga barrel with a 223.cal and load the right round camp pot meat if need ..

me i love to hunt with a single shot for me a just a better way to test myself than a single shot ..

plus around the house a old man bear comes for a vist and i can not get him to leave the area and he break my 100.yard rule .. for they can move very fast in short stetchs ..i will break out the m14 and load it with a 20 rds of 308 rifle and see if i can make him twice about breaking the 25 yard rules

i have bought the barrels inserts for the 12.ga barrel that shoots 410.ga the insert are 18.inchs long and can be used for small game hunting ..also i have email a company in Germany that makes a full length removeable barrel inserts for the 12.ga barrel they make in it in the two calibers i want -x-22.lr.cal -223.cal and 308.cal .. when hunting where a fast second shot would be need the 12.ga barrel can be turned into a second rifle barrel set up ..plus for diff areas i load up the 12.ga barrel with a 223.cal and load the right round camp pot meat if need ..
    Henry, do you have any links on these? PM me if necessary. Thanks.

I have used 308(remington 788) to take moose, caribou and blacktail deer here in Alaska. I have always used 165/168 grain bullets with that rifle and they work great. I would pick one of the better constructed bullets( barnes, nosler partition, swift a-frame, etc.) just in case the gun needed to be used on a brown bear. It wouldn't be my first choice for brown bear. I would just feel more comfortable walking around in the woods with a well constructed bullet.