Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Remington 870 rifled barrel and ammo

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Remington 870 rifled barrel and ammo

    I got drawn for a limited weapon moose hunt this fall and need to get a rifled barrel for my 870 - I prefer it over a muzzle loader or bow.

    I see that Mosberg makes some 870 barrels with a cantilevered scope mount that sell for around $175 or so. Remington made barrels are quite a bit higher. I like the scope idea for my tired old eyes.

    What are the current thoughts as to my best path here as far as a barrel and ammo? Looks like things have came a long way since I was shooting rifled slugs in smooth barrels 40 years ago!

    Thanks in advance for the input!
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  2. #2
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4

    Default 870 deer gun

    I can reply with considereable experience. I have hunted deer with an 870 since 1985 (that is all they allow in Illinois--slug guns). We started back in those days with smooth bore carbine barrels with iron sights. OK to 40 yards or so. With my 870, I went with a Hastings rifled barrel with cant scope sight base around 1990, as it was the only fifled barrel at the time. It has killed every deer it was shot at since that time, and dramatically (12 ga slug is overkill for deer). Available slugs continue to change. In the old days before rifling, I used 1 oz winchesters. Then, with my Hastings barrel, for a time, federal made an hour glassed shaped sabot slug that shot 2 in. groups out of my barrel at 100 yds. I once shot a buck in the chest with that round, and had exit holes on both sides of the spine (shot from downhill up). It was so accurate, I almost cried when Fed stopped making it. The last 2 seasons, I have used Hastings Laser ammo, and at 50 yards it shoots a clean hole. However, it is hard to find around here, and at 100 yards, it is not as good as the old federal sabot. This is what you need to know: no 2 shotguns are alike, even more so than rifles (and I shoot a lot of those). You need to try up to 10 different loads to see what your shotgun likes, and then stick with it. Put a knee pad under you vest when sighting in, they kick your butt after 5 rounds. As for quality barrels, as I said, I have a hastings and it is very accurate, but about 2 inches too long. My cousin has a short carbine rem cantilever on his rem auto and shot a huge buck at 87 yards. As far as Mossberg goes, I have no experience, but would not hesitate to try. My turkey gun is a mossburg Maverick pump and it outshoots my expensive Binelli for pattern. One thing though, make sure your barrel ring is snug on the 870 tube. Mine has play, and I never got good accuracy until i applied som electric tape to make it snug. From then on, clean without taking the barrel off. I use a Leoupold 2-7 vx2 shotgun scope, do not use a scope that cannot take the recoil of a 12 ga slug....wonderful setup in the 870. Hope this helps

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Thanks

    Thanks for relating your experience. Most people in AK only carry shotgun with slugs for bear defense as only a few areas have the limited weapons restriction.

    My orginal intent has been to build a rifled shotgun on a large martini action - Greener Police gun - but I'm running out of time as the hunting starting in August.

    The Mossberg barrels are the cheapest by far but I haven't found anyone with any experience with them. At around $200 one is worth a try and see how it works out.

    I'll either put a 2-7X Leupold or Kahles on it as I have both. Other option is a 1-4X Leupold I have but I'm not sure where it is set to be parallax free but I guess it really doesn't matter at that low power.


    Quote Originally Posted by 2zlake View Post
    I can reply with considereable experience. I have hunted deer with an 870 since 1985 (that is all they allow in Illinois--slug guns). We started back in those days with smooth bore carbine barrels with iron sights. OK to 40 yards or so. With my 870, I went with a Hastings rifled barrel with cant scope sight base around 1990, as it was the only fifled barrel at the time. It has killed every deer it was shot at since that time, and dramatically (12 ga slug is overkill for deer). Available slugs continue to change. In the old days before rifling, I used 1 oz winchesters. Then, with my Hastings barrel, for a time, federal made an hour glassed shaped sabot slug that shot 2 in. groups out of my barrel at 100 yds. I once shot a buck in the chest with that round, and had exit holes on both sides of the spine (shot from downhill up). It was so accurate, I almost cried when Fed stopped making it. The last 2 seasons, I have used Hastings Laser ammo, and at 50 yards it shoots a clean hole. However, it is hard to find around here, and at 100 yards, it is not as good as the old federal sabot. This is what you need to know: no 2 shotguns are alike, even more so than rifles (and I shoot a lot of those). You need to try up to 10 different loads to see what your shotgun likes, and then stick with it. Put a knee pad under you vest when sighting in, they kick your butt after 5 rounds. As for quality barrels, as I said, I have a hastings and it is very accurate, but about 2 inches too long. My cousin has a short carbine rem cantilever on his rem auto and shot a huge buck at 87 yards. As far as Mossberg goes, I have no experience, but would not hesitate to try. My turkey gun is a mossburg Maverick pump and it outshoots my expensive Binelli for pattern. One thing though, make sure your barrel ring is snug on the 870 tube. Mine has play, and I never got good accuracy until i applied som electric tape to make it snug. From then on, clean without taking the barrel off. I use a Leoupold 2-7 vx2 shotgun scope, do not use a scope that cannot take the recoil of a 12 ga slug....wonderful setup in the 870. Hope this helps
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Juneau
    Posts
    2,127

    Default If time and or money is the issue....

    I have very sucessfully used a rifled choke with sabot slugs on a short barreled 870 for shooting slugs. The choke is around 35-45 bucks and you can either get bolt on williams iron sites that go on a raised rail (which is what I did) or scope it. You will get 100 yard accuracy with less cost and etc. Not sure of the comparison with modern rifled barrels and advances in slugs since I did this ten years ago but with this combo I could shoot as well as the trajectory of a 12 gauge slug gun would let you.

  5. #5
    Member markopolo50's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Fenton,Michigan
    Posts
    838

    Default Slug

    Remington does sell a package with the Remington Cantilever barrel and scope included. The scope isn't as good as your Leupold or Kahles but is another option. Here is a listing of the barrel/scope options on Cabela's.

    http://www.cabelas.com/p-0005760212137a.shtml

    As others have stated the slugs make a difference. My brother in law uses Remington Copper Solid and really likes them. One ounce of lead at 1450 fps can do some damage, over 2000 ft lbs. Good luck.
    Last edited by markopolo50; 05-13-2010 at 10:38. Reason: added barrel

  6. #6

    Default

    I put together a rig similiar to Catch It a few years ago for a special hunt area (never did use it on a deer due to rules change allowing rifles). At the time, Winchester (Supreme) made a 3 inch sabot slug that was the best shooter in my rig. You might give that a try in your test if it still available.

    Sounds like a good tip from 2zlake on the electrical tape, I remember EKC bringing up this problem in a prior thread. You would not think in would matter much with barrel mounted sights or a canlilever mount but I guess it does. Different vibrations I would guess.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Front barrel ring

    Thanks for the tape trick. I may also try drilling and taping the ring and using some screws bearing against a metal shim - I like to make everything complicated!

    Looks like the Remington barrels aren't that much more than the Mossburg- wonder if they are the same? Has anyone actually seen a Mossberg barrel for an 870? I'll try and get some good pictures of both and see what I can sort out from that.

    I also saw in some of the feedback that some of the new barrels may not fir the older guns. My favorite 870 is one that was salvaged from of a gun store fire in the late 60's. I'm not sure of the serial number of it because it was rusted on that side and the serial no. was orginally very lightly stamped.

    I'll have to survey the market here and see what slugs are avaliable. I have a Lyman mold for a 12 ga. slug and I think Lee makes one also. Molded slugs should work to rought sight in the gun and sort things out at a minimum.


    Quote Originally Posted by ragtop View Post
    I put together a rig similiar to Catch It a few years ago for a special hunt area (never did use it on a deer due to rules change allowing rifles). At the time, Winchester (Supreme) made a 3 inch sabot slug that was the best shooter in my rig. You might give that a try in your test if it still available.

    Sounds like a good tip from 2zlake on the electrical tape, I remember EKC bringing up this problem in a prior thread. You would not think in would matter much with barrel mounted sights or a canlilever mount but I guess it does. Different vibrations I would guess.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  8. #8

    Default

    I have had excellent results from a rifled Hastings barrel with a cantilevered scope mount shooting Lightfield Hybrid EXP slugs out of my 870. I hunted with this set-up in a shotgun only area for over 10 years and felt very confident to 150yds.

    I could shoot sub-3" groups consistently. Notice the absence of "all day long" in my claim. Ouch!

    Thankfully they have made this area rifle legal now.

    I believe any rifled barrel will provide you with the accuracy you will need to 150 yds. You will need to try some different brands and size of sabots till you get a winner unfortunately. Bring a recoil pad. The 2 3/4" shot best for me.

  9. #9
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default I just want you to know TV...

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    I got drawn for a limited weapon moose hunt this fall and need to get a rifled barrel for my 870 - I prefer it over a muzzle loader or bow.

    I see that Mosberg makes some 870 barrels with a cantilevered scope mount that sell for around $175 or so. Remington made barrels are quite a bit higher. I like the scope idea for my tired old eyes.

    What are the current thoughts as to my best path here as far as a barrel and ammo? Looks like things have came a long way since I was shooting rifled slugs in smooth barrels 40 years ago!

    Thanks in advance for the input!
    ... that you got MY hunt.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default Dang...

    Dang - I feel bad!

    But then again ... not really that bad You probably got to go last year.

    I like your signature line- hope you don't get in trouble for making a political statement - or maybe it isn't. At least 70% of the poplation agrees with you although the distractors get all the attention.


    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... that you got MY hunt.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  11. #11
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    For the money you might look at these,they work very well

    http://www.rrarms.com/catalog.php?prod=GSB1014

  12. #12
    Member sayak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Central peninsula, between the K-rivers
    Posts
    5,788

    Default No, never got that one

    Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Dang - I feel bad!

    But then again ... not really that bad You probably got to go last year.

    I like your signature line- hope you don't get in trouble for making a political statement - or maybe it isn't. At least 70% of the poplation agrees with you although the distractors get all the attention.
    It's kind of my most hoped-for hunt.

    As for the sig. line: pretty mild compared to a few I've seen.

  13. #13
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    It's kind of my most hoped-for hunt.

    As for the sig. line: pretty mild compared to a few I've seen.
    Glad Mexico didn't try as hard as we are or maybe they did but we out numbered them. Looks like they are thinking turn around is fair play

  14. #14
    Member Smokey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central Illinois
    Posts
    3,334

    Default TV

    I rec you take 2 Alieve about 30 minutes before you start to site in your new barrel when you pick one!

    I have had several "slug guns" , starting with 870 pump guns, I finally moved on to the model 1100 and 1187 12gauges.
    Auto's have 2 nice plus's.
    1. Reduces recoil some ( however the new sabots are still thumpers )
    2. If you would happen to miss, the next shell is ready so you don't have to make all the racket jacking another round in pinpointing your location. Probably not as important for moose but many times deer will run and stop trying to figure out what just happened and you can get another standing shot off if gun is ready.
    I have had Hastings and Rem barrels - both performed well.
    Win 385gn sabots work well out of my current guns. I have Leupold II 2x8x33 on two autos and really like em. Just bought a Leupy II 2x8x33 with the ballistic dots and am hoping they may align well for longer shots?
    There may be a diff in barrell needs for the 870 and the 870 express? I had one 870 (may have been lightweight mdl) and remember there was some reason a new barrell wouldn't fit it???

  15. #15
    Member GrassLakeRon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Grass Lake Michigan
    Posts
    1,978

    Default

    You could also use an Aim point or red dot rather then a scope. I use one for deer hunting here in Michigan. I have it on a tracker II. The whole rig was less then the cost of the barrel for my 870.

    Ron

  16. #16
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    welfare state of Alaska
    Posts
    5,153

    Default 870s

    I've had my old 870 12 ga since 1970 or so I have a particular attachment to it. I have an 1100 but it is in 20 ga - probably a bit light for moose. I hate to spring for a new shotgun here in AK - just not that much to shoot with them and I'm really a rifle and pistol guy.

    As I recall the slug guns have a pretty good recoil but I'm used to shooting the heavy magnum rifles - it goes with being an Alaskan I guess.

    There was an 870 special grade apparently had a shorter magazine ring- other than that they are apparently all about the same best I can tell.

    Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    I rec you take 2 Alieve about 30 minutes before you start to site in your new barrel when you pick one!

    I have had several "slug guns" , starting with 870 pump guns, I finally moved on to the model 1100 and 1187 12gauges.
    Auto's have 2 nice plus's.
    1. Reduces recoil some ( however the new sabots are still thumpers )
    2. If you would happen to miss, the next shell is ready so you don't have to make all the racket jacking another round in pinpointing your location. Probably not as important for moose but many times deer will run and stop trying to figure out what just happened and you can get another standing shot off if gun is ready.
    I have had Hastings and Rem barrels - both performed well.
    Win 385gn sabots work well out of my current guns. I have Leupold II 2x8x33 on two autos and really like em. Just bought a Leupy II 2x8x33 with the ballistic dots and am hoping they may align well for longer shots?
    There may be a diff in barrell needs for the 870 and the 870 express? I had one 870 (may have been lightweight mdl) and remember there was some reason a new barrell wouldn't fit it???
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

  17. #17
    Supporting Member Amigo Will's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wrangell
    Posts
    7,600

    Default

    The Remington 20ga Buckhammer is a good shell,1oz at 1,500fps which I believe beats the 454 Casull and the Remington 405gr 45/70

  18. #18
    Member Bearclaw67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    329

    Default

    I have a new Ithica Deer Slayer Ghost 12 gauge with rifled barrel and rifle sights you're welcome to use. I hunted with an 870 with rifled barrel in Michigan for many years, but sold prior to moving to Ak. due to being lead to believe I'd have no use for it here. Any how I shot Federal Barnes Expanders with great results and then tried Hornady SST sabot slugs due to their accuracy and distance claims and they were spot on. Devestating performance out to 180+ yards on whitetails. If you're interested in using the Ithica send me a PM it's not for sale as I intend to use it for white tails in Mi. when returning to visit the folks in Mi.
    Paul

  19. #19
    New member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    4

    Smile

    When shooting at your deer, you will probably not notice the 12 ga. recoil, but when sighting in with multiple shots, you will have bruising on your shoulder (and bicep if you do not have it shouldered correctly). Depending on the load, you may experience recoil exceeding most magnum rifle shells. I shoot 2 3/4 inch shells, there is no reason to go larger for the accuracy I can get to 100 yards (and as I said previously, it is still overkill for whitetail) http://shootersforum.com/archive/index.htm/t-30875.html.... http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/...ng-slug-recoil http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/akf...ting/53105.htm As the last post shows, you may not want to shoot prone

  20. #20

    Default If you want the ultimate crusher load

    http://www.google.com/products/catal...wAg#ps-sellers

    Designed for large European Wild Boar and will shoot 3 shot 3" groups at 100 from my scoped (Leupold 1-4) Hasting cantilevered 870 fully rifled barrel.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •