Thread: notched hunting rifles

Default notched hunting rifles

I have a rifle that I got new a few years ago that I LOVE.....ruger compact 300wsm. Has already been "proven" many times. Now I am a one gun man for big game....(don't tell the wife). But I have a friend who is a one gun guy and notches his rifle after every success. Was once considering this with mine as well to have well...not so much a bragging right with my gun but to have notice of "history" between my and my "one gun". Is it vein, is it wrong, is it weird? I think of it as kind of a traveling trophy room. But before I start carving into my gun have you known anyone else to do this ...or have you done it yourself?

And if you think I am crazy and a dumb ***** so be it...I haven't done it yet, Just curious on your take from those opinions I respect

Default I have an antique stage coach shot gun

it is loaded with notches all over the stock.It is a Richards 12 gage with a plack in the stock ES STAPPS. Dad picked it up years ago with a bunch of other antiques.the stock is in such bad shape I've never shot it although the machine work all functions perfectly.

We take pictures to show our friends and place heads and hides on our walls. I would call notching your rifle any more vien or wierd than what we do already. Notch away. Makes for good conversation while sitting in camp, trying to recall what each notch was for and telling their story.

Default Notches

My first centerfire rifle was passed on to me by my Uncle. A Ruger M77 with the tang safety in 308. It was notched by him with every deer and bear he killed with it on one side of the recoil pad only. I proudly carried on the tradition by notching "my" side of it.

Default Cool

I have a pre 64 Winchester 1894 that has several ivory inlays in it. Story is, the previous owner would inlay a new piece every time he killed an animal. All of the inlays are different sizes and in different locations. I would assume that would be for different species. I think it is a personal thing and if anything it does add character to the weapon. If you want to notch you rifle and it helps bring back memories of your travels and adventures then do it! Someday someone will look at all of them notches and wonder what you did and where you did it! lol
    Adison
    I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!
    Anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice, remember life is expensive and ammo is cheep!

I don't know... I'm not a big fan of notching a rifle. I know my favorite rifle has some dings and a few scratches on it that have stories associated with them (even if the hunt was not technically successful). That's probably not much different.
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

My rifle doesn't need any extra personality. One day it was pristine and new and now it has gashes in the barrel and nicks and dings on the stock. I try to be very careful with it but this only goes so far when crashing through the Kodiak alders, or clawing up the mountains after sheep and moose. I think I'll let my rifle speak for it's self.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akguy454 View Post
    I have a rifle that I got new a few years ago that I LOVE.....ruger compact 300wsm. Has already been "proven" many times. Now I am a one gun man for big game....(don't tell the wife). But I have a friend who is a one gun guy and notches his rifle after every success. Was once considering this with mine as well to have well...not so much a bragging right with my gun but to have notice of "history" between my and my "one gun". Is it vein, is it wrong, is it weird? I think of it as kind of a traveling trophy room. But before I start carving into my gun have you known anyone else to do this ...or have you done it yourself?

And if you think I am crazy and a dumb ***** so be it...I haven't done it yet, Just curious on your take from those opinions I respect
    first off Mr ONE GUN man.... i am on my way out to relieve you of a few of those other cheating pieces you got laying around... i would hate to see you have to compromise those morals keeping secrets from those others...

as for have i done it? dang bro you know i would not have a stock left
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Woodcutter?

I am with Vince, if you guys cut notches everytime you shoot something up there, won't your stock look like a beaver got to it??? I do like the idea of notches better than carving your name or SS#. Worse than that, and I have seen it, somebody carves their SS# in the metal, then it shows up on Gunbroker. ---- Shoot and carve away you lucky guys.

My rifle and me have such a tight bond that I don't need to carve it. I just look at her, pick her up and the memories start flashing in my mind. I'm not much about showing where its been or what its taken. To me its just more of a respect about a fine tool that's been with me on some good times.
    But I do put a mark on my left cheek for every animal I take...haha

It is your gun...do what you want with it. If marking your gun makes you happy, then mark away.

I could see where you would run out of places to mark though.

I will say that Alaska sure does wear the new of a gun very quickly.

Default the thought occured to me ,

In the old days of black powder they had a patch box in the stock.
    Why not hide a box nside the stock butt with a paper and pen, making a record of the game harvested.
    food for thought