Thread: Anchor line storage in small boats

Default Anchor line storage in small boats

Anyone have any great ideas for storing a lot of anchor line in a smaller boat

I use a cheap plastic reel like you use for garden hose. I drilled a hole in one corner and attached a small section of rode to use to secure the entire reel to the boat. I use a buoy to pull the anchor and then just use the reel to reel it all back on. I have 400 feet of rode on mine and routinely anchor in water 300ft deep.

Steve

Default Big Bucket

I used a big bucket with the rope handles on it I got from wally world, that way I could put the anchor in the top on the rope and move it around the boat when I was not anchored.

Moose

Hose reel photos. I use big tubs, the kind with rope handles, also for my shrimp trap line.

Steve

Default How big a boat and how deep?

If it's a 14 or 16 foot open boat, you probably don't want to be carrying enough rope to anchor in 3-400 feet water. Also don't need too big an anchor. In my 14' boat, I just used an Anchor Mate rope winch, carried about 100' of 1/4" nylon line and I used a 7lb anchor, worked great!

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

I use these for my boat it will hold 600' of 7/16 yacht braid. I have 2 of them one with 600' of rode and my river anchor rode with 300'.

It is a stiff mesh bag it allows the rope to dry out when stored and they stand up great without being supported while you feed the rope in. They are all US made by a friend of mine. They are very heavy duty with rigging eyes and heavy straps. They can conform to your rope bin and take up very little space.

Mike

Here is a picture from my boat build thread that shows my rope bag with 300' of rode inside.

http://www.chinookoutdoorgear.com/Dr...tAnchorBag.htm

I have a 16' skiff and keep 300' of rope and anchor in a plastic milk crate type of container. It's already got the holes all over so the water drains out.

Default Mesh duffle bag

I use an 'open' type garden hose reel for shrimp pot lines. My anchor rode is in a duffle bag that is completely mesh, it was a search but I found one at REI, it's real thick with a thick zipper. It is always attached to the boat, just leave it unzipped a bit, chain and everything fits nicely in it and squishes down out of the way if needed.

ANCHOR RODE SAFETY; If you don't keep it in some kind of container or containment device and you are fighting "bow-burrying seas" and that rode trails out of the bow to your prop...
    I have dug into waves that floated my bouy and my mesh bag up like it was nothing, if it wasn't all contained that would have been the end of the program!

a small laundry basket works pretty well too. water drains out and it is circular.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

I was thinking about the hose reel but didn't think it would hold much rode great ideas thanks

5 gallon bucket...........

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Milk crate. Add a flip-up plywood top and it makes a nice stool or seat. I used to have one with a Fish On seat attached to the flip-up lid. Pretty handy. Especially in a Zodiak.

I agree with the small tote and drill it full of holes or milk crate. Something that drains water, allows circulation to air dry it when not in use and keep it from tangling. Also, tie it down somehow so it doesn't come flying back. I still to the same with my bigger boat. I can use my anchor locker for storage instead and this way my rope dries out when not in use.

nomar in homer makes an anchor line bag for skiffs and would work good for a beach line bag too. www.nomaralaska.com