Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: seward halibut

Default seward halibut

When do the halibut get in to the head of the bay somewhere like bear glacier or pony cove, or caines head, places like that. Im wanting to go but dont want to go all the way to montegue. Thanks chris

try to pm akcapt. he knows that area as good as anyone.
    Boatless

Default pony cove

A few years ago, me and a couple of buddies of mine limited out in a fairly short time in pony memorial weekend. nothing of size, the biggest was around 40 but they sure tasted great on the grill!!

Default Close to Seward

Hi Chris,

Look you don't ever need to go to Monague, that is a 55 mile run one way or at best a 300 dollar fuel bill on a private boat. Seems like a bit much for 4 or 6 halibut.
    I was reading a post where someone was running all the way over there and got beat by the weather a few weeks ago. They would have loaded up their boat if they had just stayed close to home. There has been good fishing from Hive Island all the way over the Cape Puget and out west from Ailiak Cape over to Cloudy Cape for weeks. I know of two charterboats that went to Montague one time each so far this year and both had fair results as best. The rest of the boats have been staying much closer to home and doing very well.Fishing all over the North Gulf Coast really comes into its own from early June through Early September. As I have said before in this forum fishing the 50 fathom edge and looking for promising rocky structure and bait on your sounder AND being patient will yield very respectable catches fishing in the following areas from now through September south of Barwell Island, Cape Fairfield and Mansfield, and Cape Junken.
    Don't get me wrong, fishing can be great a Montague and I do know somone who has done well there too this year. But if you stay close and learn how to fish it, you will save thousands of dollars in fuel costs and untold wear and tear on your boat and still fill your freezer with as good or better fish.
    As far as really close to Seward halibut fishing, sawmill, tonsina, etc...that seems to be best in August but is seldom great. You are much better off getting out by the islands and fishing.

They are already inside of Pony...picked up a couple last weekend and one was 170#.

Default Thanks

for the info. This will be my second year fishing seward for halibut. last year was a learning curve and this year I gained ALOT of knowledge about seward on where to go. hopefully I can meet some of you this year while down in seward. If some of you are down there this monday and tuesday look for the Dr. pepper truck, I will be driving. Thanks again for the info guys. Tight light lines and happy boating.

Default Long runs and lots of big fish in shallow water

I think a few long runs to places like Montague can pay off big, this haul was all done in less than 3 hours in about 60 ft of water. We did not keep the two barn door's (about 6 ft each) we hauled up. You pay a price but the experience can be world class.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Islands

We did well on everything last weekend staying in the bay....cod,3day limit of yelloweye, blackbass and even picked up a few nice halibut as well....no need make long runs as earlier stated...Pony Cove, Between Cains Head and Fox Island, Ruggad Island along with the narrows have all produced halibut and daily limits of everything offered.

Good luck!

I personally love fishing in Johnstone Bay, and by the outer islands right in Resurrection Bay as others have noted. All of the major capes to the East offer great fishing. In the bay you will catch fish and save gas. Good luck

Default The long run

If you have the boat for it and the weather, there is no doubt a trip out to Montague or Nuka Bay will provide you the oppertunity for great fishing and a great experience. Especially Nuka Bay. But...it is a long and expensive trip. yesterday the weather was horrible in Seward and I fished inside the bay, in calm water and caught 20 halibut, kept 18 from #12 - #25 pounds and two dozen rockfish. I don't fish the bay or even close to the bay often because of the impact that a larger charter boat has on the fish population in the area, but for a small boat looking for 4 or 6 halibut to put fill the freezer, or for folks wanting to spend less on fuel and be in nicer water, there is no need to go far....

My season is starting to roll now, so good luck and I will post a report when I see that the salmon are first at Pony, hopefully in a month or less...

Default Could not agree more ...

With out the right boat and a few years of experience you should not venture past the bay, I have been doing this thing for the past ten years, private pilot for the past 25 years with a formal education in both navagation and weather. I did not mean to imply that a run across open ocean is a piece of cake, but if the tides and the weather gods cooperate it can be an awsome experience. You charter guys do a good job of providing that experience (of course for a price) safely using the right equipment and the knowledge to get the big one.

One last point ... Only once did I see a Hews 22 out at Montague, I had the same feeling for those guy's that I had when seeing a 16 or 18 ft Lund with 4 big guys a 25 hp motor out at Pony Cove, hoping they had not over played their hand.

We have run our 24 Sea Sport to Montague a few times but never really slayed the butts. Lots of silvers and lings though. But when we used to run out there with Saltwater Safari we absolutely slayed the halibut.

Never have fished Nuka Bay but would like to try. What are some good weather conditions for running out there? Do the seas get worse in the afternoon? Very appreciative of any tips for running out there and fishing.
    Thanks
    Tennessee

A lot people think you can just go out to Montague and start "slaying" fish, but that's not always the case. Some areas fish better at minus tides while other do better on big flood. While I'm by no means a expert of fishing Montague, I think I have a descent grasp of when and where to fish based on tide and time of year. One sure bet for catching fish out on Montague is sitting about 50 feet directly off the stern of the CrackerJack Voyager, you will surely get in to halibut.

I've been fishing Nuka a lot the last couple years or so and there is some great fishing to be had. It's a long boat ride out there so make sure the weather forecast is favorable. I only go west when there is variable or west wind so I can have the weather or wind on my stern for the ride home. Another thing to think about is there aren't very many boats ( I've never seen a private boat except for me) out there so if you have any mechanical failures or get in any trouble it's a lonely place to be.

have fun and good luck
    Boatless

We fished the southern tip of Montague. Is running to Nuka Bay shorter or longer run?
    Tennessee

Depends where you go, but if I remember correctly it's like 7-10 miles more. Unlike going out to Montague, if the weather does kick up you can hide out in a bunch of places.
    Boatless

Default The toe of montague

The water off the end of cape cleare is a 10 by 10 mile area (100 sq miles) of under 200 ft deep water and very productive area of marine habitat. There are hills and valleys in that area and that is where the fish are, you can't just go out there and expect great things to happen. The rules of finding fish still apply, look for structure or food and pay attention to the tides. When we had the haul posted eariler Salmon were moving through and we were fishing the backside of a hill where big Halibut were waiting to ambush the salmon on the way to the Nelly Martin river. Being paitent and waiting for your scent trail from the herring brings in the butt's, that might mean rolling into Seward at 10:00 pm or later ....

Quote Originally Posted by FISHFACE View Post
    A lot people think you can just go out to Montague and start "slaying" fish, but that's not always the case. Some areas fish better at minus tides while other do better on big flood. While I'm by no means a expert of fishing Montague, I think I have a descent grasp of when and where to fish based on tide and time of year. One sure bet for catching fish out on Montague is sitting about 50 feet directly off the stern of the CrackerJack Voyager, you will surely get in to halibut.

have fun and good luck

Come on now....One sure way to ruin my day is to anchor up anywhere behind the Crackerjack Voyager.... but it brings up a very good point, fishing Montague is not sure thing even after fishing it a thousand times. It is hit and miss and even when you think it will all work out, you can still not catch much. Same as anywhere around Seward. It is a long way from home and is a place where the current runs hard and if you go at the wrong time like when there is a westerly wind forcast, it can be a brutal ride home. I would say it is worth going only when the weather is good, really good.

The rule between most charter boats and private guys like Fish Face that know what they are doing is to give any other boat a minimum of a 1/3 to 1/2 mile of separation. It is really the right thing to do out there. It is a vast area and the more room between boats the better off it is for everyone. ...... If you call any boat out there, give them a call on the VHF if you think you might be getting too close and they will let you know.

Good luck out there and look for the fast Armstrong Catamaran with the outboard...he is the guy who catches the big ones....

Have $3,000 saved for my fishing gas fund this year so I can piss some away trying out Nuka Bay. Been hitting Homer hard the last two years and catching more butts than we catch out of Seward so its time for a change again.
    Tennessee

I made several overnight trips to nuka out of homer last year and like to do at least 2 days when going that far and plan on exploring afognak this year.

I've caught many halibut over 100 pounds during the last 25 years around Fox Island.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast