Thread: Topo map of P.O.W.

Default Topo map of P.O.W.

I'm looking for a good topo map of the control lake area on P.O.W.Could anybody tell me where I could buy one? thanks

The Forest Service place in Ketchikan definately has them.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Google Earth give a pretty good picture of the area too.

That enough area? I can make it bigger.... Or smaller. Or zoom. Or what ever.

Default thanks for the map

I would like to see a little more to the right of the lake. where would be a good place to start a deer hunt from the control lake cabin? I would be hunting the end of aug.thanks

You might want to think about forgoing the cabin and camping above treeline. You'll have much more time to hunt that way. If your looking for a place to base out of the campground just down the road from the cabin is way easier to access.

As to where to start to hunt, just look at the top of the mountains where the trees stop and thats the place to start. If you don't have the latest forest service road map you should get one. Forest Service 907.826.3271

You a bow hunter?

Default hunting from cabin

Would it be possible to hunt from the control lake cabin or would we have to row back to the road and drive somewhere? We are coming from P.A. so camping would be tough to bring all of the gear. Are there any other cabins that would suit us better? I'm a bow hunter but will be hunting with a rifle on this trip.

You'll likely need to hit the road and drive up high. The cabin just isn't in a good spot for hiking and hunting. As 270ti pointed out Google earth has good coverage of that area.

That time of year you really should be concentrating on the alpine areas. While there are some deer that never hit the alpine your chances are much better if you get up on the mountain tops. Hunting out of the cabin is not going to your best bet.
    The only thing you are gaining by staying at a cabin is a roof and four walls. You still need all the camping gear you would need for tenting out.

There are some fly in high elevation cabins but they will cost you over 1K to get to.
    Last edited by ibohnt; 05-14-2010 at 19:07. Reason: more info added

Yeap, your're way to low that time of year. A bowhunter would bring the bow remember that.

Get high.

(elevation wise)

Thats my advice. Deer everywhere, but Alpine hunting in August can't be beat.

You'll find me in the alpine in Aug/Sept.

But, in all honesty, I have ran into some nice bucks down low that time of the year standing on the side of the road eating green grass or out on the beach. An acquaintance video'd a monster buck standing on the side of the road in early July. Kinda makes you wonder how many bucks are down low that time of year. I know I'm not looking down low, as I'm always climbing.

So, I guess for us Mtn hunters the thought of hunting the lower muskegs and timber in Aug is a foreign thought to us, but who knows. He could find some good hunting in those hills and muskegs around control lk, as those deer don't have the pressure the Mtn bucks do that time of the year. Lord knows the genetics are there.