Thread: .270 Magnum

Default .270 Magnum

Has anyone heard of a .270 Magnum that uses a necked down 300 H&H case ?

There's a 270 Weatherby Magnum, with the case shortened .3 inches or so, then blown out almost straight with a radius shoulder. There's also a whole slew of wildcat 270's on the basic mag case of varying length and tapers. I haven't heard of one that keeps the original 300 H&H length and taper, and can't find one in Ackley. No reference to one in Donnelly either.

I had a brief love affair with the Weatherby back in the early 1970's just before I moved up here. The rifle (custom) suited me really well and the ballistics didn't have any dust on them. But not knowing what I was getting into up here, I let it go. FOOOOOOL!!!!!! I would have found lots of uses for it. I've always regretted letting it go, but have never quite stepped up to the plate to replace it.

A friend of mine bought this gun from a lady whose husband had it built. He has the dies and everything to reload but can`t find any info on it. It just says 270Magnum on the barrel. He told me a few minutes ago that all of the loaded rounds he got with the gun are 300 H&H cases except one which is a 257 Roberts case
    Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    There's a 270 Weatherby Magnum, with the case shortened .3 inches or so, then blown out almost straight with a radius shoulder. There's also a whole slew of wildcat 270's on the basic mag case of varying length and tapers. I haven't heard of one that keeps the original 300 H&H length and taper, and can't find one in Ackley. No reference to one in Donnelly either.

I had a brief love affair with the Weatherby back in the early 1970's just before I moved up here. The rifle (custom) suited me really well and the ballistics didn't have any dust on them. But not knowing what I was getting into up here, I let it go. FOOOOOOL!!!!!! I would have found lots of uses for it. I've always regretted letting it go, but have never quite stepped up to the plate to replace it.

At least he has the dies. That's a good thing. Sounds like some custom wildcat and who know what it is. Can you give us some dimensions? Base diameter, shoulder diameter, OAL, length to shoulder from base, sharp or sloping shoulder, etc. Pictures would be nice too. Sounds like it would be a fast shootin, barrel burning cartridge. The barrel might already be cooked.

I am going to try to get some measurements and a couple of pics this weekend if I can make it over there
    Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    At least he has the dies. That's a good thing. Sounds like some custom wildcat and who know what it is. Can you give us some dimensions? Base diameter, shoulder diameter, OAL, length to shoulder from base, sharp or sloping shoulder, etc. Pictures would be nice too. Sounds like it would be a fast shootin, barrel burning cartridge. The barrel might already be cooked.

The 257R case doesn't belong in with the others as none of its dimensions are compatible with the 300H&H cases.

He called me and said that he was wrong about that the one in the box with the 300 H&H rounds is a 275 H&H not a 257 Roberts
    Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    The 257R case doesn't belong in with the others as none of its dimensions are compatible with the 300H&H cases.

That explains what he has. It is a 275 H&H. It is a necked down 300H&H. Nice caliber but brass is going to be hard to find. Even the parent case is tough to find. Hope he has dies or custom dies will be needed. I don't know if loaded ammo can be bought anywhere.