Thread: Shrimp pot observation.

Default Shrimp pot observation.

I just returned from a State of Alaska auction. In the auction was a lot of approximately 35 shrimp pots. Some of the shrimp pots had Trooper evidence tags attached. Most where illegal in one way or another. None of the buoys where labeled correctly (or at all). Some had mesh that was too small. There where some that had two pots fastened together as one, which creates a pot with two bottoms.

What prompted me to start this thread was one particular set of pots. I had seen the buoys for these pots, in Port Nellie Juan, last summer. Ladner nesting pots with solid orange buoys with a single strip of black electrical tape on them. No name, address, registration number or phone number.

Double check to make sure your pots are legal, because it seems the Troopers are checkng them also.

BTW the lot included a bunch of large commercial buoys and was sold for $1400.00.

Default Calling the Tropper

after I came up missing my 3 pots I called the troopers and they asked where I had them set, to which I told them. They advised me that no pots where picked up near that location.
    Guess I'd call it a check on if they where the ones that had took them. every thing should of been in order, but.
    One thing I do do if mark them with a stainless steel tie, stamped with my DA. hoping to never see them in a garage sale!
    Not that they would do any thing!

I called either F&G or troopers a couple of years ago to ask if the pots that were picked up were ever sold and was told no. Obviously that's not the case but I wish I knew who told me that. Where do they keep the pots that they take out of PWS?

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    I just returned from a State of Alaska auction. In the auction was a lot of approximately 35 shrimp pots.

BTW the lot included a bunch of large commercial buoys and was sold for $1400.00.
    Looks like the guy that bought them has now listed them on craigslist. Looks like he's trying to get quite the nice profit too!

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1738357454.html

Default Spelling lessons

He probably needs the profit for spelling lessons.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    He probably needs the profit for spelling lessons.
    Lol! I was thinking the exact same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by akjeff View Post
    I just returned from a State of Alaska auction. In the auction was a lot of approximately 35 shrimp pots. Some of the shrimp pots had Trooper evidence tags attached. Most where illegal in one way or another. None of the buoys where labeled correctly (or at all). Some had mesh that was too small. There where some that had two pots fastened together as one, which creates a pot with two bottoms.
    Seems like a steady stream of revenue to me. Confiscate illegal pots, sell them, when they get used again, start over.

I can't speak for any other shrimp pots out there being sold and will not but if they are a Ladner pot purchased from our store, we have never had an issue. We've been selling them for well over 10 years and Ladner pots have been fished in southeast for some 20 years now. Both Fish & Game and State Troopers have given the clearance for our pots in Anchorage, Whittier, and Cordova.

There are others selling round pots that look similar but are not from us or from Ladner. There was one dealer (will not name) who was even advertising they were purchasing pots from us directly which is a flat lie. That was fun dealing with!

There are people purchasing Ladner pots not from our store but from the lower 48 that have smaller mesh (Washington area). I even had a customer try and pull one on me saying he purchased it from our store. After an hour, he finally admitted that he may have ordered it elsewhere.

Easy way to tell if you bought them from us, they have a Ladner plastic tag, they have #30 cotton escape sewn in, they have a thicker bottom ring compared to rest of the pot, and most importantly you have the receipt since you actually bought them from us