Thread: Shore fishing for Chum salmon in Seward?

Default Shore fishing for Chum salmon in Seward?

Are Chum salmon availiable to catch from shore in Seward? Can you find them at the culverts and at the waterfall? Also, how would you fish for them? Thanks!

I have not fished from shore in Seward for years, but we used to catch a lot of chums at the mouth of 4th of July creek. I big treble hook was the lure of choice, but we also would catch them on vibrax and pixees.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Don't believe there is a chum run in Seward. I have caught kings, reds, and silvers in town or out by the mouth of resurrection river. Snagging would be the preferred method. (only legal in the salt.) hope that helps.

My brother and I have snagged a few of them (about a dozen) on the other side of town along Nash road. I believe this was around mid-July but I dont remember for sure.

We were hoping for reds but didnt get any.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Default Seward chums

Definitely chums in Seward, not so much in Resurrection River but relatively heavy runs in 4th of July Creek and Tonsina Creek. Caught many chromers, usually on green lures but used to snag them years ago. July is a good month.

I never knew they were there. Any size to them?
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I never knew they were there. Any size to them?
    Ive only ever seen the 12 or so that my brother and I caught but the biggest one went about 17lbs. We thought it was HUGE! But like I said, Ive only ever seen about a dozen of them.
    The other ones must have been in the 8-12lbs range Im guessing.
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

I have never tried targeting the chum here in Seward. I do know that they stack up pretty heavy in Tonsina Creek but you will have to hike there. 4th of July Creek could be a good bet as well and you dont have to hike. As for the timing I am not sure because I have never targeted them.

Default Chum or Dog Salmon at a Seward

The creek across the bay by the prison is Spring Creek, no fish run up 4th of July Creek and you cannot get to 4th of July Creek by road. As far as Spring Creek goes there are Chum there, they start in late June to the middle of July and its a decent run, try flys, spoons or snaggers, either way pound for pound they are the best fighting fish around. There will be a red salmon rund starting there in the next year or so, this is part of the same run that goes up salmon creek, this started to pen them at Spring creek 2 years ago. Over by Lowe point there is a small Chum run starting in late July hard to target them though.

Quote Originally Posted by chamai59 View Post
    The creek across the bay by the prison is Spring Creek, no fish run up 4th of July Creek and you cannot get to 4th of July Creek by road.

Interesting. I always thought that was 4th of July Creek. Guess I have been wrong for the last 40 years. There is a first time for everything.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

This may clear things up.

Here's the map.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/16682.shtml

I don't see a Spring Creek over by the prison and I don't recall anything substantial flowing into the bay on that side from my boat except for 4th of July Creek. Not doubting anyone as it is all good conversation, but Spring Creek must be pretty small.

I have been thinking about where Spring Creek could be. Is Spring Creek the little stream by the campground on that side of the bay? The one with the little lagoon and the DIY boat launch?

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I have been thinking about where Spring Creek could be. Is Spring Creek the little stream by the campground on that side of the bay? The one with the little lagoon and the DIY boat launch?
    Yes. And it is pretty small. Spring Creek is the little stream with the old campground. Currently there's a sign there that says something like "Spring Creek Campground - Indefinitely Closed". There's a slough at the outlet of the stream. I've never seen Spring Creek labeled on a map, but given that's what it's called at the campground I guess that's what it's called.

4th of July Creek is the major stream draining the watershed by the prison. You can't drive directly to the mouth of 4th of July Creek because it's south of the boat yard, but you can access the stream a ways up towards the prison (east of the boat yard) off of a little side road. I suppose you could walk it down to the mouth if you were so inclined from there
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Default chums in Seward...

I used to fish them is Seward when i lived there a few yrs ago. Previous commentors are right. The fish congregate in the salt just outside of the little lagoon about half mile b4 the fish packing plant out the end of Nash Rd. Use big pixies in the salt from the beach on the incoming tide. Some fish come up into the lagoon and u can fish them there also.(spooky fish) They tend to hang out there till darkness b4 they run up the very small creek. Many of the fish actually try to spawn in the salt just outside the lagoon in the surf. (Or else they just fail to get into the lagoon.) The fish can really stack up in the salt just outside the lagoon both north and south of the lagoon outlet. The fish are usually pretty aggressive but will turn on and off on occasion. Obviously the rough surf can and will spoil the beach fishing. Spinners will work but big pixies were definitely best. The wife and I have had 20 fish there in an hour and a half occasionly. Usually around fourth of July, and lasts about 2 and a half wks. Good luck..........

Default P. S.........

Snagging is legal in the salt there and as many do snag as us that do not snag there.