Thread: The 2 Happiest Days in a Boater's Life

Default The 2 Happiest Days in a Boater's Life

Is the day they buy their 1st boat, and the day they sell their last.

That's what they say anyway. After giving this some considerble thought, I've decided to sell my boat. It's heartwrenching to do it, however, my wife doesn't like the water and now the kids are grown and out of the house, I need to stay on shore. I have friends and relatives with boats if I need a fix. But my extended stays on the water, are over for now. I posted it on Craigslist and on the swap n sell forum.

I've enjoyed this forum and will most likely to continue to post. This must not be my last boat, because I'm not exactly happy about selling.

Oh well, maybe a motorhome...

Later
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Sorry to hear that, must have been a tough decision.

Default I sold

the motorhome for the boat.
    There are only so many places to go with one before they get boring (camping at Portage is nice the first few times but when you get to know the beavers firsts names ,,, welll....
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Nothing wrong with that, when you balance out the expense and effort to upkeep a boat, if you aren't using it enough to justify the trouble, there's nothing wrong with moving it down the road.

There is no shortage of boats being sold to have trouble getting something else in the future if you figure you miss boating too much.

Smile Thanks

I appreciate the support for selling. It was a painful decision, but I figure if the wife put up with me and the kids for 21 years, I should do something she will enjoy.
    how to act in public

I put my boat up for sale a couple of weeks ago. Every time I take someone for a test ride I think I shouldn't sell it.
    I put it on this site and Craiglist and 2 other boat sites. The most calls have been from Craiglist.

Good luck on your sell.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Default what?????

sorry to hear it bro

I was sorry to sell my 20 ft. Boulton even though I was upgrading to a 26 footer. I was seriously considering keeping both boats - it was painful seeing the buyer drive it off....

Unhappy Time for intervention

This is an obvious cry for help and some intervention needs to take place. The best method is to throw him in the water and make him swim back to the dock, then he will want his boat for sure.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post

I've enjoyed this forum and will most likely to continue to post. .

Later

well, i know i am relativly new here, but I hope you keep in touch and give your wisdom!!...for me i have always been on a boat, aka--fresh water, but now am entering the ocean this year...will always will be looking for some compass directions!!....go easy on the transition!!!..larry

I am not joking here,

I listed a boat for a family friend on craigslist who had cancer. This guy was super detailed in everything he did and was a master craftsman. When he heard he only had a year or so to live he went about doing his honey-do list for his wife on the house and everything else before he was to pass.

On the day he died, a man came down from up north to see the boat and my friend was kind of out of it, but when he heard that someone was here to see the boat he let out a huge sigh of relief and his face went calm... and he died a few hours later. His wife told me that I had helped him pass and she thanked me for helping them and that helping her sell the boat was one of the things that he was worried about.

That is the kind of guy he was he never wanted to be a burden to anyone and didn't want to leave his wife with any hardships.

Knowing his boat was going to be sold was one of the last things this guy needed. Goes without saying about two of the happiest days of a man's life...

Sobie2

I know what Kodiak Hunter was going through because when I sold my 19' sea runner I felt like I sold a friend! Watching someone tow it down the road with the pulley for the pot puller waving good-bye just about broke my heart, even though I was going to pick up my new 26' P.C. The memories a person piles up in their firs boat are precious. I just hope the guy who bought it has the same fun I had.

Default Like selling a child

Out of several calls I had couple tire kickers come by. What a PITA! It's hard to separate who's serious about buying, all the while, I'm feeling like I'm losing one of my children. I hope this doesn't take too long.
    how to act in public

Default Dealing with the public and finding someone a buyer

Not that I am an expert or anything but ...

Craigslist is the obvious first option these days to sell anything but there are others.

I hate to say it but when I traided my 22' SeaRaider hardtop to AMDS it was sold and off the lot before I could pick up my Osprey. I would guess that they might sell a good boat for 6 to 10% of sales price under consignment to them and they do this every day and they know how to use the "jedi mind tricks" to to get the best price. I am no fan of ADMS because of their outfitting of my Osprey but they do know how to sell.

On craigslist I think that you need to list a fair amount of detail about what the boat has and if you have not done that have something ready to email that has all the details like original invoice price, all the stuff that you added and something about how you maintained the boat and total hours on the engine. You also need to indicate that you are looking for serious buyers only. If they think they want to move forward and purchase the boat tell them to go to the bank or credit union to get what amounts to a 90% letter saying that that financial instution will lend to that person for the purchase of that boat. If they are a cash buyer ask to see a current statement from their account showing they have the capitol so that they can get a cashiers check from the bank, no personal checks. If you have a serious buyer then I would then take them out for a "sea trial". Now is the time to sell so it should work out.

BTW ... I have just entered the empty nest stage with a "city girl" and my son within a year will be a fine young Marine Leutenant, mabey dodging bullits in Afganastan ... but I am thing of upgrading to somthing a bit nicer for the lady, who cares if we spend the week end in Seward and never leave the docks. and get out to fish now and then.

All the way through this we are just trying to work it out to keep who is really important to us with us as long as possible ....

good luck!

Unhappy It's Over

No more tire kicking, but it's going to be sad watching her leave hitched to someone elses truck. Looking for a decent class A motorhome if anyone knows of one.
    how to act in public

I really miss my old boat, but the old saying is true. If it flys, floats or ****s, rent it!