Thread: Ghost ring sights

Default Ghost ring sights

I am considering installing ghost ring sights on my 1895gs. I am looking for advice from anyone that has used them. I do not like the factory sights and not really set on installing a 1x4 scope. I would prefer iron sights. I am also open to other ideas than the ghost ring. I am interested in close range work up to 150m. I did a search on the sight, but didn't turn anything up on these, so please include link if possible if you have already discussed and I simply missed it. Thanks for any help and advice.

Default xs

The sights your looking for are XS sights. I have them on my 1895GG. love them very tough as well. XS used to be Ashley sights. hope this helps

I got my setup from WWG's, they even installed them for me for free. I also bought a nickel front ramp for my front sight to match the rifle. I also had the Williams Firesight put on the front as well. Love my setup.

yukon thanks for the answer. I got a few more questions if you don't mind. What distances have you used them? Did you install a rail system or mount directly to rifle? How is your vision (I am in reading glasses these days which is one reason I was looking into this option)? Had you ever used ring/peep sights before this one?

A key to success for longer range shooting is how you use the FRONT sight with a rear peep. If you're using a bead or a fiberoptic front, avoid the temptation to sight in for POI at the center of the bead or fiberoptic sight. As your target gets out there a ways (not far at all, really) it's completely hidden behind the bead of fiberoptic.

Best is to "pretend" your bead or fiberoptic is a blade front, and sight in for the POI to be right at the top edge of it. That way as the range stretches, you can still see your target, even small ones. We regularly use our guns to bust 16 ounce plastic drink bottles at 75 yards. Easy to see them with this sighting, but they're hidden completely if you use the center as your POI. Heck, you can hide a whole deer behind a bead at 100 yards!

I have a ghost ring on a Winchester 94 in 444 Marlin and it works great for up close < 75 yards or so snap shooting, the aperture is a bit large for my liking at longer ranges. When sighting in at the range, I have trouble getting less than 6" group at 100 yds.

I have a Williams peep on a CVA muzzle loader that has a smaller aperture that I can get 3" groups at 100 yds with... and an 03 Springfield that will do 2" groups at 100 with an old Lyman peep. The Lyman has the flip up small aperture for those long range precision shots... flip it down in low light or when on the move for snap shooting.

In conclusion, I love peeps, but Ghost rings while fast to acquire the target, are hard to be precise with.. at least for me.

A so called ghost ring is basically a peep with the aperture taken out. Get a peep and you end up with both,standard for the last 150 years.

I've used WWG, XS, and Skinner on Marlins and I like the Skinner sight the best. He is great to work with and custom makes any size aperture, or front sight height needed. The small aperture is easily changed for long range or close up work.

http://www.skinnersights.com/

Billy

Billy did you like the skinner better for the possible extended range? I am not set on a brand or style, so all input great. Thanks for the link.

It looks like the XS comes with two sizes for the aperture as a kit, which should offer the longer range as well. Did you guys that have the XS get small and large apertures? If so, would hard is the swap between apertures?

Thanks to all who are helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    A so called ghost ring is basically a peep with the aperture taken out. Get a peep and you end up with both,standard for the last 150 years.
    +1

I have Marbles tang-mounted peeps on an Uberti Yellow Boy and my Marlin 1895 Cowboy. They work dandy at shorter ranges with the insert removed.

Default peeps

Akshrop I have used peep sights a lot over the years. My sight is like yours it seems I need reading glasses too. Use your ghost ring sights just like brownbear advised he does it right.

I have used mine at 400 yards or so at targets. I am very comfortable out to 300 with my GG, although most shots at game are well inside 200.

The rings are easy to change. I am in Canada so getting stuff from the US is a pain, if I were you I would talk to the guys at WW guns, they are great guys and the sights they have are as good as you will find. I highly recommend their trigger for marlins as well as their bear proof ejector.

Stay away from the fiber optic sights I like them but have broken so many I wont use them now. hope this helps, good shooting!

I've got the XS sights on a Marlin (came with them). It also has the lever rail. I took of the lever rail and added the wings to the rear ghost ring. Still getting used to them. But I'm shooting them better than I thought. I'm nearsighted and the front sight is easy for me to see. I didn't get the smaller peep for the rear with the rifle, but what I have tried is using a small piece of wire insulation and pushed it into the rear peep. It went from a ghost ring to a peep. I tried different sizes and ended up liking the factory ghost ring the best.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Thanks for all the advice. I found the marlin forum as well. I simply can't see the factory sights well enough to use them very well; even inside the house, under light and looking at a white wall. I have use this family of sights a time or two in the last 21 years in the Army, but these looked very different to me so I wanted you guy's opinion on the ones you have used. Between the two forums, it looks like the XS and Skinners are the favorite. Again thanks for the help.

As far as the Skinner for extended range I do like the ability to easily change apertures as I find I'm more accurate at longer ranges, 100 yds+, with a smaller aperture. That being said, the ghost ring is really nice for fast target acquisition when things get up close and personal. I like the Skinner because it is solid, machined well. I don't think you can go wrong with WWG, XS, or Skinner. A lot of it comes down to personal preference--price can be an issue if you're outfitting several firearms.

Billy