Thread: Surge Brake Servicing

Default Surge Brake Servicing

My 2005 EZ-Loader Trailer brakes are not working well. Can anyone recommend a Anchorage shop that will inspect, adjust, service boat trailer brakes? Looking in the brake fluid reservoir, there is a lot of rust/water in there... I think I need the whole system flushed and bled. Hopefully the rust has not destroyed the actuator or brake pistons.

Thanks.

Default Mark at SixRobblees

276-5171
    He can inspect and fix anything needed.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Default Trailercraft

I just had all new brakes and a new surge protecter installed, and general servicing of my EZ Loader trailer at Trailercraft in Anchorage. They were excellent to deal with. My surge protecter was bent. They said it could have been torn apart and fixed, but it would only be $200 more to put a new one on. I was pleased with their service. It's like a new trailer. 563-3238

I've used both, like both, and have been turned away from both because the boat was on the trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Gugs View Post
    My 2005 EZ-Loader Trailer brakes are not working well. Can anyone recommend a Anchorage shop that will inspect, adjust, service boat trailer brakes? Looking in the brake fluid reservoir, there is a lot of rust/water in there... I think I need the whole system flushed and bled. Hopefully the rust has not destroyed the actuator or brake pistons.

Thanks.
    Rust and water in the system can be costly. As a start a new surge setup would be about mandatory. Now if the wheel cylinders are water free then a good flush is all you will need there.

The reason for replacement is seal failure is very common with water because of the ice that formed over the winter will tend to push/dislodge the seals.

I have 3 sets of six bolt drum brakes in very good shape if wanted but no surge, I do have an extra electric over hydraulic unit up for sale.

I've had 6 Roblees work on my trailer with the boat on it (24').

Thanks for the info guys. I called both places and decided to go with TrailerCraft this time just because it is much easier for me to deliver the boat to.

I am expecting the worst as far as component replacement... It is a BOAT afterall. BREAK OUT ANOTHER THOUSAND. ;-)

Happy boating and safe trailering to all of you.