Thread: Legality of Selling Bear Parts

Default Legality of Selling Bear Parts

With some of the recent changes in the classification of Black Bears, I was curious to know the legality of selling various Black Bear Parts. This is assuming that the bear was hunted legaly and for sport purposes, following all legal regulations and rules.

That said, what are the parts that I can sell to help fund my hunting trip. I am primarily a meat hunter when it comes to black bears. I have shot three so far, and really, how many claws and pelts do I need?

The following items come to mind of being of possible value:

• Bear hide
    • Claws
    • Skull
    • Gall blader
    • Paws
    • penis bone
    What if I decide to gift these items to some of my asian friends instead of selling it to them? Assuming I am not expecting anything in return? Does the legality change?

If you do reply, please let me know where there might be any markets for these items and the possible prices I can expect?

Thanks,

Ak Flyster

Default sale of black bear parts, except gallbladders

Flyster, I have a query in to F&G on this, because I have not received an update since last winter to clarify this new regulation allowing the sale of black bear hides, claws, skulls taken statewide under either a hunting or trapping license.

The last info I got was that this new regulation goes into effect on July 1st, 2010. You cannot sell gallbladders, and this is only for black bears, does not include brown/grizzly bears.

As to markets, others may have better info on that. Black bear hides aren't really worth all that much, you would spend more to get one tanned than it may be worth, unless it's a really nice big one. Claws, on the other hand, imagine there will be a market for those, skulls too. You can check taxidermy.net forums and look around there.

Again, I'm trying to get a definitive link from F&G on this new regulation and what is allowed. Will post what I find out.

At this time, most everything you list is illegal to sell, except, much of the list can be used in handicrafts and then sold.
    If you have any plans to travel to the lower 48, bring bear stuff along. Different states have different laws.
    As Mark said, check tax.net for price ideas.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Reply from F&G

Here's word I just got from F&G:
    http://www.boards.adfg.state.ak.us/g...hanges1011.pdf

Summary of changes is posted at the website above. It basically reiterates what I said [last winter] - after July 1 the sale of black bear hides, both tanned and untanned, and skulls is allowed. This will include all black bear hides taken in past years, as long as they are not made into a trophy or rug.
    The sale of gall bladders and all black bear trophies (which includes rugs) is prohibited.

The sale of black bear meat is still prohibited, since they are a big game animal under hunting.

In summary, you can sell the hide, skull and nonedible parts, except the gall bladder. You cannot sell the gall bladder, edible meat or any trophy.

Here in unit23 its kinda like this;

No BrownBears parts can be sold, even when made into handy crafts.

Black Bears must be made into an art /craft with substantial alteration, so clothing, necklaces , ect.

Polar Bears have to be made into Arts/crafts by a Native Alaskan as only then my possess the raw skins. Rugs do not qualify as 'significantly altered'

No selling meat / gallbladders or rugs as far as I know with any bear parts in this game unit.

This is just my understanding, not "Legal advice" by any means.

I have had a Korean friend show me that they dump the gall into a bottle of whiskey and drink it for more stamina, and they get "Better" at wooing the babes, but that might have been the whiskey when we drank it.....bitter as hell and I still had a BAD hangover~~LOL!!~~ but who knows, 2,000,000,000 Asians might have figured something out~~LOL!!~~
    But then again I had 7 kids without it
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Stranger, everything is about to change with black bears. You will no longer need to make things into handicrafts, you will be able to legally sell black bear claws, black bear claw necklaces. That is my understanding.

F&G says they will clarify all this before the changes take effect on July 1, 2010.

Thats cool, Bushrat.

I can see where that would be a big help.

Might note too, that product improvment always brings in more $$$ than raw stuff.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....