Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard

Default Suzuki 2.5 hp outboard

Anyone own one of these motors? Looking for a lightweight outboard for my Aire Traveler and the choices are narrowed down to this or the Honda 2. I can get the Suzuki for $700 from Cabelas and the Honda is about $250 more. Suzuki is watercooled and it is quieter. If you have personal experience with both on the water and can offer some valid comparisons would like to hear your comments.
    Thanks
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Anyone own one of these motors? Looking for a lightweight outboard for my Aire Traveler and the choices are narrowed down to this or the Honda 2. I can get the Suzuki for $700 from Cabelas and the Honda is about $250 more. Suzuki is watercooled and it is quieter. If you have personal experience with both on the water and can offer some valid comparisons would like to hear your comments.
    Thanks
    I have personal experience with both and the ZUK is a better motor. the honda is extremely loud, and having no reverse or a true shift lever makes the motor difficult to manuever the boat as opposed to a real world shift lever with F-N-R. The zuk has an aluminum prop that will take some abuse the honda has a plastic prop (not good). The zuk is the lightest in it's class and actually rules the roost in the sub portable class. Every outboard company makes a winner and I don't choose one brand over the other. Honda: lightest 20 hp outboard Tohatsu: Lightest 9.8 ZUK: lightest 2.5. I ran into some duck hunters who were running the Zuk 2.5 and they were pushing through some very thick weeds with that little motor. They used the internal tank and completely bypasses using a marine tank (maybe to save money?). I ran into a gentleman on Hidden Lake who was pusing an inflatable with the honda 2hp. It was louder than both my tohatsu 9.8 four stroke and my ZUK 6hp two stroke. Some folks who own this motor like it, I do not.

I'd like to see your aire travelar outfit, I was actually wanting to make an aluminum frame, and attach one of the air travelers to the side of my canoe for Kenia dipnetting or for any area where you could possibly run into alot of boat traffic. Care to try this out for when you get a hard shelled square sterned canoe? Let's do a test run. If you like it, you can keep the aluminum frame for your future square sterned canoe and have a very usable outrigger to keep the fish cooler and other gear to keep the canoe free of obstruction for standing dipnetters or even fly fishers. Brian Richardson just taught me how to properly install Aire D-rings so I have a bunch of green ones on hand to make custom frame lashing points. I'd imagine that a set up like this could push two fisherman all over the kenai or even into the smaller bays around whittier and provide enough stability to leverage a decent sized halibut into the boat......and have the air traveler as a place to store the fish. I'd imagine my 9.8 tohatsu would push this outrigged canoe just fine.

I have no experience with the Honda other than I priced it out and it was more expensive than the others, I do however have a Suzuki 2.5 and I think it is a good motor. I got mine from Marita Sea and Ski for 750. The only proplem I have had was I sheared a couple of the prop pins, so if you get this motor, I suggest getting a few extras

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    I have no experience with the Honda other than I priced it out and it was more expensive than the others, I do however have a Suzuki 2.5 and I think it is a good motor. I got mine from Marita Sea and Ski for 750. The only proplem I have had was I sheared a couple of the prop pins, so if you get this motor, I suggest getting a few extras
    yip yip, and a skeg and prop protector.......

always have a pile of shear pins on hand, and extra cotter pins.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post

Hoose,
    Do you consider the Suzuki to be quiet? I went to Sea Marita and the other Suzuki dealer in town and both refused to even try to match Cabelas price so online ordering it is. Pretty sure I am going to pick the Suzuki after hearing how noisy the Honda is both here on the Hull Truth.

Mainer,
    If you are looking for extra room or support there are a lot of less expensive inflatable rafts or canoes that might serve your purpose over the Aire Traveler which is pretty pricey.
    Tennessee

Hoose,
    Do you consider the Suzuki to be quiet? I went to Sea Marita and the other Suzuki dealer in town and both refused to even try to match Cabelas price so online ordering it is. Pretty sure I am going to pick the Suzuki after hearing how noisy the Honda is both here on the Hull Truth.

Mainer,
    If you are looking for extra room or support there are a lot of less expensive inflatable rafts or canoes that might serve your purpose over the Aire Traveler which is pretty pricey.
    it is pretty quiet, but I cannot compare it to any other 2 or 2.5, since it is the only 4 stroke that small I have used.

Thanks for the input guys. Ordered the Suzuki from Cabelas. Can't beat their price, $699 plus $5 to ship and $8 for oversized package.

Really like Honda products but do remember hearing one of 2 hp motors last year on a dingy and it was pretty loud. Someone even sent me an old review of portable motors on Powerboats and they said the Honda was the loudest in the bunch.
    Tennessee

Thanks for the input guys. Ordered the Suzuki from Cabelas. Can't beat their price, $699 plus $5 to ship and $8 for oversized package.

Really like Honda products but do remember hearing one of their 2 hp motors last year on a dingy and it was pretty loud. Someone even sent me an old review of portable motors on Powerboats and they said the Honda was the loudest in the bunch.
    Tennessee

so are you saying you bought two of them??

Thumbs up

Really like Honda products but do remember hearing one of their 2 hp motors last year on a dingy and it was pretty loud. Someone even sent me an old review of portable motors on Powerboats and they said the Honda was the loudest in the bunch.
    The motor price doesn't surprise me... curios tho' if it is 2010 or overstock from a year or two before - wouldn't matter much to me.

What does sound funny (almost unrealistic) is shipping!!! Ground for me with availability on 2009 - 2010 motors (all brands of these 2.5 HPs) is generally $75 and priority express is about $250. What are they doing... putting a stamp like on an envelope? That shipping is truly amazing,,, like Mainer said, should be buying two!

Cabelas flat rates shipping and adds a surcharge depending on how large or heavy the item is:
    "Blue Order Numbers" (For Large or Heavy Items)
    Standard Express
    Blue Order # No Surcharge
    Blue Order # with * Add $8.00
    Blue Order # with ** Add $14.00
    Blue Order # with *** Add $18.00

They are running a special now. If you order at least $150 the shipping is $5, plus any Blue Order surcharges. But even without the shipping special it would of cost less than $30 to have it shipped to Alaska. I am sure it all averages out for them in the long term.
    Tennessee

Thumbs up

Yep good deal for sure... thanks for the info.

Had any luck on your motor mount or waitin' 'till the motor arrives?

If I can help ya out - give a call.

Gotta wait for the motor and need to find my pump for the Zodiac so I can get the adapter and blow er up! Don't see a need to use the motor till November but knowing me I better start on it now or I will put it off to long, lol.
    Tennessee

Default Motor Bracket

I have a motor bracket I built for my Aire Super Puma. Your welcome to it, sold the Puma.
    I used a 2 X 6 with carpet, and put a motor bracket on it. Used straps to tie it to raft, tested it with my 8 HP Yamaha, worked OK but raft design did not do well with a motor.
    Built it so motor was back of rowing seat and off to one side of raft.

Kurt,
    Thanks. Will send you a PM and try to pick it up next week. If nothing else it may give me some good starting ideas.
    Thanks, I appreciate it.
    Randy
    Tennessee

Couldnt be happier. Motor arrived today in perfect condition, 2010 model. What a great value from Cabelas.
    Tennessee

Good stuff, Randy.
    Great little motor and an awesome price. Can't beat the shipping, Cabelas gotta be losing $ bigtime.

I just bought an '08 Tohatsu 3.5 4 stroke this weekend on ebay--one owner, little use.
    I paid $455 but the shipping was $150! lol.

I really liked the Suzi 2.5 but wanted to get a bit closer to that 4hp mark.

I looked for the pics I had of traveler motor mounts from when I had may aire, but I came up empty. I do remember one very cool set up that a guy had made with small diameter galvi-muffler-shop pipe. The galvi-pipe hugged the floor by the strap loops and then angled up and over the rear tubes to a small wooden transom. A muffler shop can bend that stuff 9 ways to Sunday and I think it would be very reasonably priced.
    Bring your raft, a dozen donuts for them and have them work with it, just watch the sparks! lol...

I have a new (to me) raft coming....a transomed grabner. I found one on CL reasonable and used. Pics to come....woohoo!
    Proud to be an American!

Default small motor

glad it worked out for you

SID

Couple of guys pm'ed me about this motor because they could not find it on Cabelas web site. For some reason it will only pop up if you punch in the item number which is SL-02-0111. It does show up on some of there speciality catalogs as well

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...questid=109094
    Tennessee

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast