Thread: Whittier Harbor

Default Whittier Harbor

I need some advice.

A friend and I from Soldotna are going to head up to Whittier the weekend of the 22nd for some shrimping/rockfishing. I am bringing my family and we are going to be staying at the Anchor Inn in Whittier that Saturday night. I am curious if we are going to have to pull the boat Saturday night and relaunch on Sunday Morning, or if there is some transient parking where we can leave the boat in the harbor overnight.

Also, is any willing to share the location of a decent area for some black rockfish for the kids to play with up Port Wells/Esther Island area?

Thanks for your help.

I would bet that you can park the boat overnight in the harbor. Stop into the harbor master's office (or call ahead) and ask. Right now I'd bet half of the slips on the side of the harbor with smaller boats are empty. They don't fill up until summer really gets going, so I'm sure there will be slips available. I'm not sure what it will cost you, though.

I was there last weekend and there were a ton of the transient slips open. They are going for 1 dollar per foot this year. They measure from the very tip of your bow to the furthest point that your prop or step reaches.

Thanks for the info guys.

Anyone on a good place for black rockfish?

We've done alright on the S end of Perry Island drifting over the rock piles in the South Bay. I'd imagine you'll have similar results on the rock piles on the S end of Esther passage.

Other then when the silvers and pinks are running, I'd say Wells passage isn't worth spending much time fishing.

Default transient slips

There are slips available year around. Some slips are located closest to shoreline under the walking ramps to the slips. At low tide you need to be careful of your entry to some of those slips. It gets pretty shallow, I had a 25' boat with a shallow draft hit bottom 2 yrs ago. So heads up!