Thread: Anybody use self-fusing silicon tape (rescue tape) to mark anchor line?

Default Anybody use self-fusing silicon tape (rescue tape) to mark anchor line?

How well does it hold up? I figured I'd better ask before I actually buy it.

I found a inexpensive distributor on ebay who sells 9 different colors (yellow, green, red, blue, orange, grey, black, white, clear) and I was going to use it mark my anchor line depth every 25 feet up to 600 feet.

http://stores.ebay.com/MJM-National-...34Q2ec0Q2em322
    2696 Sea Raider Pilothouse
    "Dominion"

West Marine has little tabs that are marked with lengths every 30 feet that you just weave into your anchor rode. I put these on my boat last year, and they seem to go through the windless just fine with no damage to them. They are really cheap ($8.29) and simple, and I recommend them.

Here is a link to what I am talking about:

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...4372&langId=-1
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I haven't tried self-fusing silicon tape, but if you're using an electric windlass, my guess is that the gypsy would tear up the tape pretty quickly.

Other options include marking with paint, or inserting pieces of colored yarn or plastic strips through the strands.

In my case, I just opted for using waterproof magic markers. Works OK, although I got some color bleeding, and the marks tend to fade over time. I'm on my third season now, I expect I'll need to remark the rode next year.

By the way, if you have an electric windlass, another way some folks use to determine the amount of rode they've let out is to multiply the rate at which the windlass lets out the rode in feet/second (which should be fairly constant) times the number of seconds you let it out. For example, if your windlass deploys your rode at 2 feet/second and you let it out for 30 seconds, you've let out 60 feet.

Default Rode Markers

We've been using these for the past 4 summers in PWS with good results.

http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/27407-...e-markers.html

With the stretching, wet/dry, etc of the anchor line, not sure how the rescue tape would hold up...my guess would be not very well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

jrogers beat me to it!!

(great minds think alike...)

I never heard it called 'rescue tape'. That's 'F-4' tape from my USAF days. Unless they've improved it, it's pretty susceptible to UV degradation. It's very so-so in the abrasion resistance department and it has very little cut resistance. In fact, cuts open like a skin wound when the tape is wrapped tightly.

Its F4 tape, but nobody but us retired AF types ever refers to it by that any more.

Its a freefall Lewmar Pro-Fish 700.

I've used the silicon tape for all kinds of stuff, it goes on pretty soft, but it cures up tough.

I'm using 8 plait line so I dont know how well weaving regular markers would work. I hadnt thought of yarn though..... good idea.

Wouldnt have thought permanant marker would last very long at all.

Maybe plastic paint?
    "Dominion"

Default rescue tape

You can even get it at Walmart now.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Google knows all

A bit of research on google: Krylon fusion doesnt stick to nylon, but acid dyes do REALLY well, so I'm gonna basically tye-dye my rode every 25 feet:

A spray bottle of vinegar water where I want it, paint a stripe of salt-dye mix and then hit it with a hair dryer to fix it.

It should last forever, and I have over a hundred colors to use, and its cheap!
    "Dominion"

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    Google knows all

A bit of research on google: Krylon fusion doesnt stick to nylon, but acid dyes do REALLY well, so I'm gonna basically tye-dye my rode every 25 feet:

A spray bottle of vinegar water where I want it, paint a stripe of salt-dye mix and then hit it with a hair dryer to fix it.

It should last forever, and I have over a hundred colors to use, and its cheap!
    Let us know how it works. Maybe I'll give it a try when it comes time to remark my rode.