Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting Rid of Griz...

Default Getting Rid of Griz...

Anyone have any advise for how to get rid of a griz that has taken up a bait site? Not sure if there are any ideas but I would love to hear them. Thought about taking all of the bait out for a week and seeing if he moves on, but not sure if that would work or if there are any other options.

Thanks!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

don't feed him for a week he will move on.

Quote Originally Posted by danjordan78 View Post
    Anyone have any advise for how to get rid of a griz that has taken up a bait site? Not sure if there are any ideas but I would love to hear them. Thought about taking all of the bait out for a week and seeing if he moves on, but not sure if that would work or if there are any other options.

Thanks!

Three possible options (more or less)..

#1. If you can't seal the opening or are not using a drum, stop baiting and take Mike's advice.

#2. If you have a metal drum, seal the opening with self taping screws and let it sit a few days (unless of course you removed one entire end of the drum).

#3. Shut the station down and hunt and/or bait another station a few miles away.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Getting rid of the browns

How big is the hole in your barrel? We have found that if the hole is over 4.5 inches the browns will set up camp and clean you out. Give the browns a challenge and they will move on. But that is only after they have excavated your entire site.

Are you feeding with dog food? We had browns on the bait every year up until we changed to popcorn. IMO the dog food is a protein base and browns will just lay down and chomp till its gone. The black bears love the sweetened popcorn. They will sit there for hours picking piece by piece.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

Do as 907 suggests. I do the exact same stuff. I have had browns on every bait site but they always move on when they can't get more than what's right at the hole.

Default They usually leave after a few days...

and they will CRUSH a barrel to get the lid off. Good luck getting rid of it. They can be a pain in the arse!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    don't feed him for a week he will move on.
    this works!!! however a grizz never forgets where he found a meal.. and will return to the same site next year looking for it again. i have one bear that comes to my stand 5 years in a row on or about the 17-18-19 of June every year.. always with in 18 hours of the first time i recorded him. we have dubbed him JR. he was a 4 year old the first time nice blond griz. he is to the point that he makes sure i am not at my place before cleaning stuff out if i am there he will leave for a day or two and return.. he actualy walks down to the house and checks... the first year he destroyed stuff... i took to urinating on every thing... the bears still come but they know i marked it all.. they eat and they leave. last year 17 grizz including cubs hit one stand

i am not using that stand this year as the grizz will be the only things on it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

don't feed them any meat of any kind, they would rather hunt a moose calf than eat a piece of pie. I never had issues with them even strolling 50 yards off the trail to eat sweets but the blacks dozed several trails to my site
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

lead, lots of lead

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    lead, lots of lead
    Sounds good if you got the $$$$$ to back it up

Like the others have said, just quit feeding him for a week or so, it'll leave. When a griz takes a liking to the dog food or sweet feed, or barley or whatever you use, they will clean the barrel out within a day or two, then just dont fill it back up for at least a week. They can get pissy when theres no food left, and have a tendancy to destroy the barrel either when they cant get the last few morsals or theres just not any food left. Thats when the excavating starts, just forget about the bait for a week or so, and then go back and check it. If you have multiple grizzlys visiting it, or you just happen to be in a dense griz area,then your screwed, as soon as you fill it back up, one of them will return, thats par for the course if your baiting on the Gerstle River down by Delta.

Default Paint him

Hit him with paint ball gun the next time he comes in.

Don't get caught!

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Dustoff View Post
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Dustoff View Post
    Hit him right between the eyes with .375 round. A one Grizz every 5 years off bait would do wonders I think. Here come the arguments.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I agree very much so.

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Hit him right between the eyes with .375 round. A one Grizz every 5 years off bait would do wonders I think. Here come the arguments.

Default grizz

grizz are a pain in the ass but blacks will still come in. I have 2 grizz on mine right now and I have a black coming in when the griz arent there. They can cause problems though. One year I had to just let it go for a week when a mean old bear wasnt leaving. Baited back up and within 5 days I had multiple blacks coming in. I may have to do it again but as long as the blacks are still on the trail cam Im ganna keep er goin.

The fun part is when you kill a black and then have the griz come in and mess with you during the extraction of the black, thats when things get real interesting. All it takes is one bold griz!

Yes my rookie year I made the mistake of gutting and skinning my downed bear about 5 yards from my bait at 1am I had bears moving all around me and 1 browny walk right up to me at 10 yrds. I now drag all bears out gutted in a sled and skin and butcher in the garrage. Ahh the stupid things you do when your 18.

Default Thanks!

Thanks a ton for all of the advice. Going to try not feeding him for a while and see if he loses interest. If that doesn't work, I guess call it good on that station for this year and see if he comes back next. Best of luck to everyone!
    Dan

"May the gods keep the wolves in the hills and the women in our beds!" Menalaus -Troy

Default lead

i agree...kill em....too many grizz around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast