Thread: a few ???s

Default a few ???s

i have a new savage precision 10 .308 , 20'' bull barrel and digital stock. has anybody played around with this model yet? if so what scope?
    what is the best scope power for a 30-30?
    are remington 742 semi-autos decent rifles?
    i am interested in the remington 750's but have been reading alot of bad things about them. any info would be a big help.

Quote Originally Posted by pudge View Post
    Well I am little help with the other stuff but if you want a scope on a 30-30 IMO a fixed 4 power is all the power you want and 2X or 3X may be better depending on what it's used for. You didn't say what gun the 30-30 is so I'm assuming a lever rifle which is a short range fast maneuvering gun and anything more than 4X will hinder more than help. A long eye relief scout scope mounted forward is faster than traditional scope and a good option for 30-30. I personally like semi-buckhorn open sights or peeps on lever rifles. For me any optics slow me down and I just don't like the look on a lever rifle but I with ageing eyes I am worming to the idea. Also red dot sights like the Aimpoint are a very useful on a 30-30 and you may want to weigh that option depending on what you will be doing with the gun.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

A lyman peep sight for your 30-30 would be ideal, unless of course you have eyesight issues.

i have a new savage precision 10 .308 , 20'' bull barrel and digital stock. has anybody played around with this model yet? if so what scope?
    Your intended purpose for this rifle will help narrow down your choices (target only, long range hunting, etc.)

I'd prefer a peep sight on a lever action but a 2.5 or 4 power would be OK, too.

Many call them "jam-masters" but there are lots of them around, and kept clean they function OK. Some of them actually have OK hunting accuracy.

i am interested in the remington 750's but have been reading alot of bad things about them. any info would be a big help.
    I don't know much about the newer Remington semi-autos and/or pumps but they are supposedly improved versions of former models. From the few I've handled, I think they are worse than the older ones.
    Drink indigenous.

1. The Savage model 10 in 308 is a great gun. It will put a lot of higher dollar guns to shame in function and accuracy.
    2. I got old fickle eyes but will not scope a lever gun. I can take the back sight clear off and just shoot off the front sight and still shoot 4" at 50 yards free handed. Thats good enough for what I'd ever use a lever gun for.
    3. I had two 742s and they both jammed even when clean.
    4. I have read some good reviews on the 750 but have no first hand experience.

thanks for the info. the savage is a law enforcement model and was a "on the spot" purchase and now i realize i don't have much use for it. i am interested in the remington semi-auto's for quick follow up shots. i might see if i can try and sell it or trade it when i get back into town.
    the 30-30 is a marlin and was thinking i will try it out this fall. i will look into a fixed 2x scope for the 30-30, again thanks for the info.

For an auto loader I would go with an M1 Garand or if I wanted lighter sporting rifle an older Winchester model 100, both are solid guns that work well and can be had for under $1000.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona