Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camp Saws....what do you use?

Default Camp Saws....what do you use?

I've pretty much tried em all, the gerber fixed, the folder, a traditional bucksaw, a home-made buck saw, a home made saw using sawzall blades, both pocket chainsaws, and a Sven saw. I've really enjoyed using the Sven saw because it uses so little energy to get er rippin. The Sven saw folds down and sheaths the well designed blade and comes in two sizes, the 21 in. and the 15 in. They both weigh around a pound and are nice n safe to pack. they go great in a canoe. I never really cared for the pocket chainsaws because you have to use two hands and you have no control, i neve liked the folding saws because they are bulky and dont cut as well as the Sven. Just figured I'd pass along my two cents and also see what others are using.

my only beef with this saw is the fact that since it's a triangle.......if you are too deep into a cut, the point of the triangle limits the cut stroke. But it really isnt too prevelant when cutting wood in Alaska for a camp fire or to build a canvas tent frame.

Mainer, have had quite a few saws as well. From wyoming and the last couple years a gerber gator III. Which worked well and not too heavy if I left the 9" wood blade at home and just packed the 9" bone saw and 20" chainsaw. Could actually cut some wood pretty fast and of course the 9" bone saw did the trick on animals.

However I figured I'd the Gator pack saw a whirl. At 8 oz its not too shabby for having both a 10" wood saw and a 10" bone saw blade. If have cut a fair number of trees with this thing and am pretty impressed of its utility and ease of use given the light weight. Plus I like the fact there there is no parts and pieces to get lost or put together before you can use it like with the Wyoming or Gerber Gator saws.

Just what has worked for me. The Sven saws look pretty cool too, just like the little fixed blade gerber pack saw for now.

Camp Saws....what do you use?

Stihl......
    Now what ?

Quote Originally Posted by stevelyn View Post

Stihl......
    funny you mention that, I remember hiking out to my remote property with a tiny lil husqvarna in my pack for flaggin n brushin my property lines.......

nothing like puttin 25 miles on your feet hauling a couple gallons of gas and a chainsaw with hip boots on! (100lbs+)

I feel shown up... lately I've been using a commando wire saw (one of the real ones, not cheap clone). You can rig it as a bow saw if you can find a good branch. It takes a while to cut larger branches for fear of breaking the wire.

It seems alright if I'm backpacking and don't plan on cutting much. I have a wyoming saw for car camping.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

I depends on the use... I've got a homemade bow saw with a 21" blade that I take on the pulk in the winter and its great for making a lot of firewood in just a few minutes. Its got a much deeper cut than a Sven saw so a bigger tree is way easier.. I wouldn't backpack with it though.

I have a Gerber folding saw with a wood and bone blade that I've used just a little. Works OK for pack in hunts for cutting a little bit of wood and butchering critters with the bone blade. I'd hate to try to feed a stove with it though.

Sometimes in the winter if I'm going to a cabin with a group for ice fishing I'll drag my 16" Husky in the pulk but that's only with a big group to spread out the load.

I'm still looking for one I like, though I haven't tried a wide variety yet. I have used (and still do) a Gerber Exchange-a-blade saw for years. The ones with the wood and bone blade that fold in half. It worked great for trimming a few limbs for treestands and such but the bone blade is what I used that saw for 95% of the time. I've cut through leg bones on bison, moose, elk, deer and antelope with that saw. I have not tried cutting the skull plate of a moose or sheep with it, not sure it would handle that task.

I switched to a Wyoming saw a few years ago as I wanted something with a little more utility in cutting firewood for camp, while still having a bone blade option. The wood blade on the Wyoming saws have too much 'bite.' Seems like they dig into the wood a little too much, thus I tired a lot faster. Perhaps I just need to cut more wood with it and break it in or try it on drier wood instead of green alder. Only thing I didn't like about a Sven saw was the length when they were folded, I wanted something that fit into my back pack without sticking out.

Powlan, because I can't afford Husky

On the serious side, and only because I rarely use it, I also keep a cheap bow saw with a new blade. I buy bow saws that have the longest blade possible (around 18"?). Something like this:
    http://www.benmeadows.com/images/xl/..._VS_165728.jpg

What works pretty well for light wood cutting is a pro quality arborists pruning saw with about 13 to 16" long blade. I've got one in my kit for clearing helicopter LZ's. They are relatively inexpensive, very light, and are awesome for clearing out a patch of black spruce or alders. Not something I would want to cut a pile of firewood with, but works in a pinch. I think I got my current one from Bailey's.

Wyoming saws (which I own) are good quality, but lots of parts to go missing and the size of the cut is very limited. I don't think mines been out of it's box for years. The Sven is a better unit, and I like them, but still can loose parts and is much slower to deploy than a fixed blade pruning saw.

Yk

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    funny you mention that, I remember hiking out to my remote property with a tiny lil husqvarna in my pack for flaggin n brushin my property lines.......

nothing like puttin 25 miles on your feet hauling a couple gallons of gas and a chainsaw with hip boots on! (100lbs+)

Yeah, about the only hiking and packing I'm doing these days is from the front door to the truck and from the truck to the boat or 4-wheeler.
    Now what ?

Smile Wyoming saw

I have had great luck with my Wyoming saw. Bone and wood. They have 18" as well as the 12".

Default Sawvivor

I am a big fan of the Sawvivor. It will store two blades in the folded down frame ( 1 bone blade & 1 wood blade ) Its super light and very efficent cutting wood or leg bones.

Try this http://www.outfitterssupply.com/24-S...ctinfo/WSC123/ or the similiar Dandy saw. I use both for wood or bone and both can be resharpened easily.

Thumbs up Sven

I love my Sven saw. I've tried a bunch of different designs but the Sven works the best, IMO.

Default I have a very tiny Homelite

It has like a 10" blade. Works wonders around camp. All my swede saws are hung up in the wood shed gathering dust.

Default +1 on Sven and Husqvarna...

Stuff that works...agree with others

I take two good buddies with me on every backpacking trip - Zeb and Sven.

Sven is 21". According to Zeb's wife, Zeb is about 3".

Default I have a Husqvarna and a Mac..

A Husky 380 commercial and a Super Pro Mac 125 circa 1962 with a 54" bar. Best falling saw ever made.
    It is stock and will cut a white pine or sugar pine 48" log in 75 seconds or less.

Quote Originally Posted by 454casull View Post
    I have had great luck with my Wyoming saw. Bone and wood. They have 18" as well as the 12".
    Great saw for our drop caribou camp this year. Packs up nice, as does the Sven saw.
    Wyoming saws at: http://www.wyomingknife.com/saws.htm.

Good thread, mainer. Lots of good ideas, depending on your specific requirments.

For motorized or floating adventures, I really like the Stanley Short Cut handsaw with fine blades.

For backpacking, I have a Felco folder that I got online from a arborists supply house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast