Thread: Little Su Launches?

Smile Little Su Launches?

From what I am gathering on the world wide web and this site, there is a boat launch in Houston and off of Knik-Goose bay road, correct? If this is correct does anybody have directions to both launches? Wanting to access and float from Houston to lower launch, to do some fishing! How long would this stretch of river take to float? Any other stopping points or areas to launch would be greatly appreciated?

Mr. G
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

the launch at Houston is right off the Parks Highway. can;t miss it.

to get to the other launch take the Knik Goose Bay Rd. from Wasilla.
    Go about 16 miles at mile marker 17.2 and take a right on Point McKenzie Rd.
    Go 7 miles to a stop sign, a T, and take a right.
    You will now be on a dirt road and it will make a 90 degree left and go for 3 miles.
    You will now veer to the right on Little Su Access Rd.
    Go 2 miles to the state park (The Little Su River)

I havn't canoed it yet but been with guides on the river a couple times. I would guess it's a 2 or 3 day trip overnight trip. There are no other launches along the stretch but finding a nice bank is not a problem, there are even some more formal campsites along the river. Finding somewhere to camp the night is the least of your challenges.

watch out for and be ready to give right of way to maniacs in powerboats way too large for the river.

Sorry I should clairify..

if you are fishing every hole trying to get that king it might take 3 days.

if you catch your king in the first 15 minutes and or are just sightseeing it's easily done in an overnight trip.

There is a lot on the forum about this, but it is a 50 mile float and the water is slow moving. You can do it with one over night but you will be paddling hard and long every day. It is a much nicer trip taking 3 days at least.
    http://mapper.acme.com/ Here is a good map finder that you can use to see all the bends there are in the river. It's a slow but fun float.

Thanks for the info. Might have to make it a quick two day trip. I have a three year old. Just want to make it a fun family event, hopefully get the wife a king salmon.

it will be a lot more enjoyable for all involved if you stay out 2 nights.

you'll be able to relax, smell the roses, have a long lunch, etc. with just 2 days you will feel pressured to keep paddling, paddling, paddling. will probably be nice to have the time to let the little one out on land every now and again, and of course it's nice to leisurely fish some holes.

i would be very surprised if you don't encounter one or several inconsiderate power boaters who nearly swamp you. Many are very considerate and good stewards of the river, but some are definitively only there for themselves and don't give a hoot who might be around the next bend. If you can hear them coming (sometimes you can't) and don't want to go for a swim I would get out of the way pronto.

Have been swamped or nearly so probably 6 or 8 times myself. Again, most folks are quite friendly and cautious, but you are the metaphorical bicycle and this river has attracted quite a few large inconsiderate dodge trucks in recent years.

Still no reason not to go. Enjoy.

Mainly want to go for the fishing and outdoor experience. When would be the best time for kings? I have a three day weekend at the end of this month, May! I think that is when I will go. Went through the fishing tackle over last weekend, need to get a couple of more plugs and spoons. In the fishing regulations, is the Little Su in Unit 1?

Nevermind about the fishing regs, I found it under the Knik portion of the regs.

Default little su

the river is a fun river, take your time, if you want to fish very much take 3 days an also a take a FAIRLY GOOD GPS it will show where you are an it will answer a lot of questions you will have on the river, more so if you have a time schedule, to keep, you don't need to run it all the time [need power]
    most Batteries don't last more than 15/25 hrs of use after you run the river a few times you won't need it, but the frist time it will be great

SID

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Grayling View Post
    When would be the best time for kings? ?

Typically Mid June is the peak for Little Su. between Burma Landing and the Parks Highway

The May long weekend may be a little early.