Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trekking poles

Default trekking poles

Would people please comment on their experience with trekking poles. Are some brands much better than others? How well do the poles hold up when hiking in the mountains? Do they have warranties so if one breaks they can be replaced?
    Thanks

go with flicklock Black Diamond poles. i wouldn't bother with leki poles. i used those for a few years and their twist lock system sucks. i think they changed it to mimic BDs now.

Quote Originally Posted by hre814 View Post
    go with flicklock Black Diamond poles. i wouldn't bother with leki poles. i used those for a few years and their twist lock system sucks. i think they changed it to mimic BDs now.
    I know Komperdell is now running the wanna be BD flicklocks now instead of twist locks.

The fliplock Black Diamonds have worked well for me. Not much experience with other brands.

Have a group getting ready for a Wyoming trip and have done a lot of research on Trekking Poles. We all went with Black Diamond, primarily because of their locking system.

From our group we have Trail Shocks, Elipticals, and two varieties of their Carbon poles and everybody is very happy with their choice.

I personally went with the Carbon Cork Handles. I have about 50 miles with them so far and they're great.

I agree BD flick lock. I went with the elliptical contour poles because I am 250+ just standing there, add a 70-110lb pack and I can put some serious weight on em!! So far no slipping, to bending and definitely no breaking w/ over 2 seasons on them. There are lighter poles out there but I use mine too much to risk going with a weaker design.

Default trekking poles

Thanks for all of the good information and the link to the thread. it is interesting because I put in a search for a thread on trekking poles prior to my original post and nothing came up. Lots of other threads but nothing on trekking poles.

Default vote of confidence for Komperdell

I have a pair of two-piece Komperdell Ti-f (? I think that's right) with their flick lock. I'm 6'1" and 235 (no pack) and used them this past winter with snowshoes and a couple times with skis. I worked them pretty hard and had no issues (no slips, no bends or kinks, and no breakage.) I like Komperdell's big snow baskets.

I have older three-piece Komperdells with twist locks and anti-shock. They were OK but are now retired. I also have a pair of older Leki twist-lock/anti-shock. I like them better than the twist-lock Komperdell but the new flick-lock is better.
    Drink indigenous.

Go for the Black Diamond with Flick-lock. Every time I've been out with a friend who has trouble with their trekking pole they have always been twist lock. I remember the twist fitting coming apart inside one and another twist lock that would work itself loose and begin pushing back into the upper pole section.

Skip the added expense of anti-shock. Unless your hiking solely on a slab of rock they have little to no purpose. Dirt, mud, and grass is plenty of cushion. Besides, when I'm moving across loose rock or steep slopes I want the security of a solid pole plant not a springy one.

I use one pole from Gossamer Gear. (Two poles don't seem to add much functionality over one for me.) I think it weighs 3-4 ounces and is compatible with Leki tips. I've had it for about a year and it's seen some light use, and no complaints so far. I barely know it's there. I don't bother using a pole when going off-trail, but on-trail it helps my feet cover a few more miles per day without feeling sore. For what it's worth, I weigh 150 lb and carry a 25-lb pack for a 6 day trip. Titanium Goat was another brand I considered.

Lighter poles often won't last very long if used by larger folks who carry heavy packs - they sometimes develop cracks. Mine basically has gotten a little scratched & dinged from rocks, but I think they'd show a little more wear if I depended a lot on it for support. I don't remember if my brand carried a warrantee, but their customer support seemed helpful when I contacted them about something.

Another interesting feature about poles is that some lightweight tents use them instead of tentpoles for pitching, meaning you have one less thing to pack.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Ive got two sets of Lekis with their speed locking system, one is the corklite and the other is the thermolite. The locks work awesome, I can put my full weight on them and they dont budge (275lbs right now). They are a great set of sticks
    Fish when you can, work when you have to.

Default Leki Makalu

I bought a set from Marc at Wiggy's a few years ago, great deal too by the way. Very light and strong. No complaints on the twist lock mechanism.

I have been using one from Cabelas for several years now with out any problems. They seem to be very tuff and hold up well. I bought another one to have as a back-up but the first one is still going strong. I bought it in 2003 and the only thing that I have had to do is change the tip. Very good product.

So is anyone using the rubber tips while in the mountains or are they just for the sidewalks, urban hiking?

I had the aluminum Leki flick locks for awhile, but everytime I wanted to adjust the length, I would have to completely unscrew the flick locks in order to get the pole to slide. I ended up taking them back to REI and bought the carbon fiber BD flick locks, and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    So is anyone using the rubber tips while in the mountains or are they just for the sidewalks, urban hiking?
    No rubber tips for me but I do use the snow baskets which seems to help keep the poles from getting stuck between rocks or sinking excessively into the tundra.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    No rubber tips for me but I do use the snow baskets which seems to help keep the poles from getting stuck between rocks or sinking excessively into the tundra.
    Glad you mentioned the basket use. I was wondering that as well. Any tips for keeping them on short of glue?

No rubber tips but I use the baskets. Mine came with 2 different pairs of baskets, one for snow and smaller ones for terra firma.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by ihntak View Post
    You will find this question is moot as after less than half an hour in the AK countriside you will have lost the darned things anyway and will never have to ask this question again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast