Thread: Kenai lake Black Bear

Default Kenai lake Black Bear

Just wondering if it is worth taking a canoe or small V with an 8 horse out to find a Black Bear. Are there any special rules around there other than what I can read in the regs?

Brad

Thanks in advance!

Be careful, the wind on that lake is not something to mess around with. I would not go on the lake with a canoe or small boat. If you do make it out to porcupine island there are some nice places to get out of the wind.

If you do decide to go you can drive snug harbor road and glass across the lake then go out from there if you see something to go after.

Have fun

Kenai Lake has a Very narrow window. You have to hunt it after the leaves bud (Like Now) and before they un-Ferrel (un-roll). After the leaves open you can't see SNOT on the Mountains. In the old-days we would wack 3 to 5 black bears per week-end this time of year. Then move up to Cooper Lake and wack-em.

We had a Mark II Grand Raid 12' with a 25 HP Kicker. Rent a boat/steal a boat, but this week-end and maybe next week is the window. We would shoot them with .38 Special Snub-nose, just for the challenge (there was no closed season/NO Limit on Black Bears). Note: this was in the 70's.

Default If you go in a small boat

like you're talking about, be prepared to spend the night to wait out the weather in case the wind pops up.

Default I tried it

We did a 4 day trip there 2 years ago. We launched our Wooldridge at Quartz Creek camgroud and camped on porcupine island. The south side of the lake (north facing slopes) are nearly impossible to hunt by ways of spotting and stalking from the lake because of the timber line and dense vegetation.

There was a fire on the north side of the lake (south facing slopes) years ago that wiped out alot of timber east of porcupine island. The fire killed trees and created some pretty decent glassing areas down to the water, however in many areas the dead fallen timber is very difficult to maneuver around.

There is a trail from Kenai Lake to Crescent Lake which would be a great area to get into for bears...but we never found it through the dead fall. My buddy and I had our boys with us and the climb through the timber was a bit much for them.

I would definetly not take a canoe on a trip to Kenai lake and expect things to go well. It gets windy and very choppy!

We never did see a bear but I'm sure they were around!

In short...good company, good camping, good food & lousy bear hunting.

I hunted black bear on the lake once with a 12'v-hull & 6 hp motor. Got part way out to the island when the wind hit. One guy driving, one guy bailing, & both guys praying for the half hour or so it took to make the island! Next day was nice.
    No bears spotted.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Be careful on Kenai Lake as even on gorgeous, sunshine days the wind comes up, midday and makes quite a rukus for all boaters. The cool, north facing slopes create a daily foehn wind event that can pick up suddenly and create hellish whitecaps that can swamp any canoe or small boat in a heartbeat. A casual summer paddle can turn into a Teacup in a Tempest vey quickly. There are many boats at the bottom of the larger peninsula lakes that attribute to this fact. I would definately reccommend a larger, seaworthy craft to stalk the bears and porcupines (sorry Chris) of the big peninsula waters. Bring a winch along too since many boats are swamped from the stern while tied up. And don't be too pickey about culling these moose-calf killers from the system either. Good luck on the black bears.

thanks alot thinkin I'll go with one of the Bay boats available at outdoor rec 20 ft twin 50's.
    \
    P.S. I actually wanna kill a porcupine haha.