Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nosler Brass

Default Nosler Brass

I've had Nosler 300RUM brass on order for 4 months. Yesterday it finally arrived. I decided to give Nosler a try since they claim to be weight matched, uncompressed attention to detail, rigorus quality control, etc, etc...

At first glance the brass looked pretty good. The packaging was vacuum packed around a box that had a sealed bag of brass inside a foam wrap, nice touch.

After sorting I found two unusable cases with split necks, that's a 4% failure rate on expensive $62.95 per 50 pieces of brass, Whiskey-Tango-Foxtrot?

I wrote Nosler about the four month back order and the less than happy customer satisfaction. I'll post follow up if they respond.

I'm working up a load with 180gr E-Tips to test later in the week, results to follow.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P5110211.jpg  

Cracked necks? Bad sign. The brass has to be too hard to crack, and I'm wondering if more cracks will appear when you true the necks.

I'm real interested in how Nosler reacts.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Cracked necks? Bad sign. The brass has to be too hard to crack, and I'm wondering if more cracks will appear when you true the necks.

I'm real interested in how Nosler reacts.
    The rest looked good, the weights were truly matched. They were all within .4gr, pretty good for such a large case.

They all measured within .002 of 2.830" in length. Very consistent but .020 under SAAMI spec.

I was shocked to see the splits considering their claims. The RUM operates at high pressures, I hope the others hold up. I would like a new box, time will tell.

Nosler customer service responded this morning. They said replacements are on the way. I asked if the lot number was compromised and they said no. They claim that their process is solid and only the necks in question were affected during the forming process. Customer service is very important to me, perhaps I'm picky. They have satisfied my issue.

I'm not sure if they are sending 2 replacements or a box of 50, I'll know in a few days.

I plan on testing the loads Friday morning unless something more pressing pops up.

Let us know what happens on firing. To me, neck cracks are a very bad sign of over-hard brass, and more cracks are sure to follow. I can't imagine how only 2 in a lot of 50 turned out to be hard.

Default If they knew

Makes you wish they knew you were are part of a large Outdoor Forum and that your experience with their customer service was being watched by serious potential customers....

I'm right at that point of deciding what high end brass to start buying, was thinking Nosler, Norma, or Lapua
    I've actually heard good things about Winchester (less expensive also)
    So far, I've only used Federal from Factory rounds I bought originally (only stuff available as ammo) I'm pretty convinced it is not very good stuff, Lots of inconsistency, so....

Any suggestions, is it worth it to go high end?

If they only knew, we're watching they'd send you a 100 lot of their best, eh?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Kodiakrain:

I've learned a lot of the past few years but there is plenty to learn ahead.

My opinion, as if it matters. Winchester is very good brass and readily available in most sizes. You will have about 2% failure rate per bag.

Lapua is diffidently very good but it's also heavy in comparison. What that means is less capacity if you're a horse power freak but finish is second to none. I have a pet load for my 308 that loves Hornady Match brass. The same load with Lapua doesn't preform, go figure.

Norma is very good as well. I have a friend that shoots for a living and he uses Norma.

The Federal that I have loaded in the past has always been for friends that were providing their once fired factory brass, it does fine but it's also heavy when compared to Winchester brass and the primer pockets get large with 3-4 firings. I think the Remington is in line with Federal.

Cheers,

I'll take R-P and Winchester over Norma and Nosler any day of the week. R-P is by far my favorite. In my experience, Norma and Nosler has been soft. Too soft for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Makes you wish they knew you were are part of a large Outdoor Forum and that your experience with their customer service was being watched by serious potential customers....

I'm right at that point of deciding what high end brass to start buying, was thinking Nosler, Norma, or Lapua
    I've actually heard good things about Winchester (less expensive also)
    So far, I've only used Federal from Factory rounds I bought originally (only stuff available as ammo) I'm pretty convinced it is not very good stuff, Lots of inconsistency, so....

Any suggestions, is it worth it to go high end?

If they only knew, we're watching they'd send you a 100 lot of their best, eh?
    I have never used Lapua brass, but it gets the best reviews by far than most other brass. Some guys pick their cartridge and rifle based on whether or not Lapua makes the brass for it. If Lapua brass is available for any cartridge I might ever get, it will be first on my list. I got Norma for my 300 WSM and I'm happy with it. It's a softer brass than Lapua, but it's good stuff. Very little variances in it. I have Rem brass for my 300 Ultra and have no complaints. The primer pockets needed deburring, but IMO, it's good stuff.

Marshal, I'll be interested in how your Nosler 300 Ultra brass holds up. I've read mixed reviews on it.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Marshal, I'll be interested in how your Nosler 300 Ultra brass holds up. I've read mixed reviews on it.

I'll be sure and let you know. Other than the 2 necks it looks good, pockets and weights are very nice. I'll have results for you soon.

I had an opportunity to test the new loads in the 300RUM this morning. This is a new powder, bullet and brass combination for me and this rifle.

Testing went well with good accuracy at the mid level charges in recipe #3 and #4. I have no reason to push this combination any faster. I did test a charge of 94.5gr but the group opened up to over 1.5"

Nosler Brass trim 2.830"
    Nosler E-Tip 180gr
    CCI 250
    RL-25
    COL3.660"

01.) 90.5gr 3134fps
    02.) 91.5gr 3175fps plus 41fps
    03.) 92.5gr 3216fps plus 41fps
    04.) 93.5gr 3256fps plus 40fps
    05.) 94.5gr 3280fps plus 24fps

The primers were looking good all the way to the end charge but gain per tenth of charge was dropping at 94.5gr after such a consistent increase with the previous charges.

The velocity is plenty fast and the accuracy was very good so I will try and improve on #4 with seating depth variations. The brass looked fine after firing. No negative issues in any classic areas.

Pictures are three shot groups fired from a seated bench position with a front bag and my shoulder at 100 yards, no funny gun clamps or fixtures. The scope is a 4.5-14X50 Leupold and it was turned to 14X. When the groups are measured from outside to outside and the bullet diameter of .308 is subtracted the #3 group measures .337 and the #4 measures .325

Cheers,
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01604.jpg   DSC01603.jpg  

Sweet Marshall, very nice indeed! Assuming you will be shooting these a little farther out, I'll be interested in seeing how the group does. I found the MOA usually shrunk a little at 200-300 yds.

Now all you need is a ram in your crosshairs.

Nice shooting Marshall. I'd say based on that target that Nosler bullets are better than Nosler brass.

Thats pretty sad indeed to find two badly split necks that way. I'd suspect the whole lot and return same for prompt replacement.

I agree with you about Winchester brass, in every caliber they make it is very good durable brass and very reasonably priced. Always a good bet.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Sweet Marshall, very nice indeed! Assuming you will be shooting these a little farther out, I'll be interested in seeing how the group does. I found the MOA usually shrunk a little at 200-300 yds.

Now all you need is a ram in your crosshairs.
    Thanks MontanaRifleman,

They grouped quite nice considering I just loaded them to max magazine length and hit the range. The wind was very stiff this morning but it was straight from my back so drift was minimum if any at all.

I suppose I could call it good but I feel I owe it to the load to try and improve on it with a few seating depth variations. At least this load will feed from the magazine. I will reconfirm this load and the next seating depth variations at 300 yards for the next test. I plan to prep and load tonight and shoot next Thursday or Friday morning.

My scope has the Boone and Crockett Big Game reticle with the built in hold over points. This load is just a touch slow for the 300 yard zero but it matches up fairly close in theory.

If I zero at 300 yards it should impact 2.8" high at 100 yards. I need to come up 9 clicks from today's results to be on the spot. The first hold over will put me 1.3" low at 400 yards. The second hold over will put me 1.7" low at 500 yards.

If I did the math correct the above should be reflective of bullet impact at those distances with the B&C reticle. Since the down range impacts don't line up perfectly I can come up 1 more click and be .3" low at 400 and .5" low at 500, that will put me .6" high at 300 yards. In reality it's just fine as long as I do my part.

Thanks for the data you sent in the PM. Although I didn't use Retumbo the E-Tip bullet seems to fly true in the RUM. If time permits, and it probably does I will do a batch with Retumbo since it is supposedly more resistant to temp swings.

PS.
    I spoke with my brother last night and he's working a deal on a 338RUM to replace his very old and beat up proven 338WM. Looks like I will be very busy next month.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Nice shooting Marshall. I'd say based on that target that Nosler bullets are better than Nosler brass.

Thats pretty sad indeed to find two badly split necks that way. I'd suspect the whole lot and return same for prompt replacement.

I agree with you about Winchester brass, in every caliber they make it is very good durable brass and very reasonably priced. Always a good bet.

Thanks Professor, I haven't heard from you in a while. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods.

I've been shooting with a few long range guys lately my groups have improved a great deal. Training is fun when the results show progress, McMillan Bros. TAC 338 Lapua Mag should be complete in July...

You gotta like that kind of load development when you go out and shoot a couple of .3 MOA groups right off the bat.

If you think you owe it to the load, go for it. But I think you have a winner there, especially if it fits in your mag. At least you know what it is.

Those holdovers should work well. Do you have target turrets?

The RL25 is performing well but if Retumbo does as well, I know what I would be taking to Alaska. It should get you a little more velocity as well and maybe match your BC reticle a little better.

Just need to find a good sheep now.

Do you have target turrets?
    Not on this one. It does have finger click adjustments so field work is easy if needed.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...mm-long-range/

Yes this Nosler brass is the greatest stuff in the world, if anybody feels they need a whole case (1,000) I have a case (6.5-.284) for sell or trade. I guess I was just stupid and bought a case of Laupa to use.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by marshall View Post
    Not on this one. It does have finger click adjustments so field work is easy if needed.

http://www.leupold.com/hunting-and-s...mm-long-range/

Don't let Mcbros sell you any rings like they did me when I had them barrel a rifle for me. And to think that this 06 really likes the Laupa brass the best. What is wrong with all my rifles that like this Laupa brass?

Talk about the kiss of death, never ever shoot in a tail wind when shooting groups, you never know which way the bullet will go, high or low. I have had some zero five shot group open way up doing this at Ben Avery doing just that, in registered BR matches.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

This mornings testing went well with a clear sky and cool 66 degree start at 0630. The winds were very light, less than 3mph from behind.

These loads are fed from the magazine. I'm not one to get wrapped up in the "must touch the lands crowd". This is a hunting rifle and it will be shot from the magazine. In the first test I started at maximum magazine length and plotted a velocity curve with increased powder charges. In this test I tweaked the COL to find the best load. I choose to reduce the first tests best charge by a full grain because these loads were seated deeper in .020 increments and increased pressure was expected.

RL-25 @ 92.5gr

1.) 3.660 3214fps
    2.) 3.640 3223fps
    3.) 3.620 3236fps
    4.) 3.600 3245fps
    5.) 3.580 3259fps

Loads 4 and 5 were very nice, slightly better than the earlier target pictures. I live less than 20 minutes from the range so I drove home and threw together another test batch. I choose to split the difference in seated depth and loaded up COL 3.590". Then I stepped the powder up in .5gr increments from 92.5gr - 94.5gr to see if the accuracy would hold.

I ran a quick calculation for a 100 yard zero that would give proper trajectory for a 300 yard shot. I adjusted my scope and hit the range to finalize this combination

The winner is:

RL-25 @ 94.0gr
    CCI-250
    Nosler E-Tip 180gr .523BC
    Nosler Brass trim 2.830"
    COL ~ 3.590"
    Ogive 2.981" / .258" jump

measured velocity 3279fps

I started with a clean barrel and shot one fouler prior to each three shot group. I would then clean and repeat for each load. It may seem excessive but it allows me an opportunity to evaluate each load under identical conditions.

In the pics you can see the 100 yard zero shot and two 300 yard targets. 93.5gr and 94.0gr shot virtually equal so I picked the hotter load as a winner.

In the rifle pic it's funny to see my lower 48 hunting buddy running virtually the same tests with his Sendero on the next lane. Competition makes for better groups
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSC01613.JPG   DSC01610.JPG  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast