Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question on what to use for Pike

Default Question on what to use for Pike

Hello all,

I am new to fishing in Alaska. I have mainly fished rainbows down in the lower 48 so am new to fishing for other species of fish. I am stationed at Eielson AFB near Fairbanks. There are quite a few lakes on the base and I take the family out when I go fishing. I would just like some advice on what is the best to use for Pike. I have heard a lot of folks on base talk about the Pike. It has sparked my interest. Any and all advice will be appreciated.

Default Multiple strikes...

with pretty much anthing that rattles, like the Ratt'l Trap by Rappla, the Wiggle Warts work well, & as does the Kwik Fish K15...I SLAY the competition here on the beaches usin' either the Wiggle Wart or the rattlin' K15...& they're usin' spinners, & spoons...

We used an AR-15 with the cheapest ammo. And On Donkey Lake (In the shallows), we would harvest 300 to 500 per day. Then and maybe now they were considered a predator, hence no limit/any method was legal.

Frogs work really well get the seedless ones and throw them on the bank and hen drag them in the water they will go crazy for it good luck

Default Back in the 70's while stationed at Eielson

I used just about any lure. The secret was to take a small rubber band and make them weedless. You then can cast into pads and grasses along side any lake and can pull out some monsters. Just thread band thru shank above the hook and then thru itself and then hook onto the barb. It keeps it from getting snagged . The band just keeps the hook from setting into grasses and getting stuck Good luck. There were some killer lakes going back towards MOA, in back of base
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

It is hard to beat a red and white Daredevil for pike. I also REALLY enjoy a lure called a Chug Bug. Topwater popper with rattles in it. You have to make sure they get it when they explode on it or you will miss them.

Mike

Get some rapala's that have the golden sides on them. Use the ones with the break in the middle. Have yet to find something that works better.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thanks for all the advice. I will try out a few and see how they work. Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by dreez View Post
    Frogs work really well get the seedless ones and throw them on the bank and hen drag them in the water they will go crazy for it good luck
    How do you pull the "seeds" without killing the frog? Does going seedless add to the frog's appeal?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by dreez View Post
    throw them on the bank and hen drag them in the water they will go crazy for it good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by willphish4food View Post
    How do you pull the "seeds" without killing the frog? Does going seedless add to the frog's appeal?
    Same way you throw and drag a "hen"?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Pike Killer!

I love Pike fishing!

My son and I take 2 trips a year into the Noatak Flats and Destroy! The pike!

We have been doing this for years so here is my 2 cents worth. Fish the sloughs cast into the grass and reel back to the center of the slough. I like to use #3 red and White Mepps, always work! I also use any frog or rat luer with a trailing treble hook set up, you will get hammered! Duck luers are Killer. make them out of foam and paint them like any duck and get ready! Rapalla top water with any baby pike pattern. I also use a lot of rubber baby pike patterns and expect to throw them away after a few days because they get ripped up. There is a frog immitation called Frog-bert with rabbit hair legs that works well but you need to add a trebble hook with a spinner on the ass. Works well.

Enjoy and catch a flight out in to Minto for some of the states best Pike! Expect to catch plenty over 40 inches and in the 22+ pound range.

Walt

Gulkana River Raft Rentals
    907-822-4290

flies, soft plastic, herring, spooks, spinner baits, etc etc.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Most anything that moves will catch a pike, if its hungry.

I just went to Figure 8 Lake and slayed them all day long. I wanted to use my fly rod but the wind was 30+ and I wasn't that brave. The only place there is any limit on pike is Alexander Lake, where it's no bag limit on fish less than 27in long, and 1 per day, 1 in possession for pike over 27inches. Why Fish and Game would put a size limit on an invasive species in a body of water where they have all but wiped out the King and Silver run is beyond me, but they have. I was told to contact pike biologist Dave Rutz with AF&G as to why, but haven't gotten a hold of him yet. Anyway, I was told they will hit just about anything, but we used frog pattern spoons and the yellow and orange pixie with the yellow blade with black stripes, size 4 and 5. I cut open the stomachs of the largest ones (about 27inches) and they had several 4 and 5 inch long baby pike in them. That tells me the Kwik fish previously recommended might be better for larger fish. Weedless or top water would be good, too. I had several mouse flies ready, but again, it was windy.

Remember this! Big fish didn't get big by working for a living. If you are catching smaller fish that you want. Go where the smaller fish aren't!

Quote Originally Posted by raycefan View Post
    I just went to Figure 8 Lake and slayed them all day long. I wanted to use my fly rod but the wind was 30+ and I wasn't that brave. The only place there is any limit on pike is Alexander Lake, where it's no bag limit on fish less than 27in long, and 1 per day, 1 in possession for pike over 27inches. Why Fish and Game would put a size limit on an invasive species in a body of water where they have all but wiped out the King and Silver run is beyond me, but they have. I was told to contact pike biologist Dave Rutz with AF&G as to why, but haven't gotten a hold of him yet. Anyway, I was told they will hit just about anything, but we used frog pattern spoons and the yellow and orange pixie with the yellow blade with black stripes, size 4 and 5. I cut open the stomachs of the largest ones (about 27inches) and they had several 4 and 5 inch long baby pike in them. That tells me the Kwik fish previously recommended might be better for larger fish. Weedless or top water would be good, too. I had several mouse flies ready, but again, it was windy.
    If you like to fish pike then having a slot limit is a good thing. Pike are cannibals and big pike eat little pike. If you take out the big fish the balance will be out of whack and the lake will only be full of small, stunted "hammer handles".

Two lures I like are the rapala or salmo pike pattern minnows or a weedless spoon. What I fish depends upon the weed growth.

Default Pike Decoys

Try these, Julie from Wasilla sent me the info last week. Looks like an interesting idea. Decoys for Pike go figure!

http://buschwhackerdecoys.com/about.htm
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Default Pike decoys= Marketing gimmick...

& not needed...particularly when you know what lures & where to fish them...

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Try these, Julie from Wasilla sent me the info last week. Looks like an interesting idea. Decoys for Pike go figure!

http://buschwhackerdecoys.com/about.htm
    Kinda pointless in the open water and through the ice. Just a bigger version of a hookless lure, oh boy.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Quote Originally Posted by raycefan View Post
    I attended a pike seminar at the Anchorage sportsman show and the size limit was explained this way:

The big pike eat mainly smaller pike. It is the little ones that eat the salmon and trout for the most part. Keep the population of smaller pike in control and it betters the odds for young salmon and trout surviving.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast