Thread: Winter Camping tips & tricks.

Default Winter Camping tips & tricks.

I read if you precook a meal like chili or stew and put it in a plastic bag, when you want to eat it, all you need to do is put the bag in hot water. When I have tried this, I found it would take a very long time to heat my food and if the bag touches the side of the pot, it would melt a hole in the plastic bag.
    Is there special plastic bags that heats the food faster?

Maybe not faster, but, Vacume sealing works well for reheating meals like that. Just cut a small corner off and drop into boiling water.

Is it really worth the extra work not to buy pre-vacuum sealed meals, like mountain house, etc.?

Cool

I say go with mountain house. It's lighter in weight, you won't use as much fuel to cook it, and it really is pretty good. The chili mac is great.
    My experience with reheating meals was exactly like you described and I decided it just wasn't worth the hassle.

Plus with the freeze dried you are consuming the water you are heating. BTW. Sams in Fairbanks has Mtn House in stock now. 6 package boxes for 24 bucks and change. Last fall I think they were 30. For 4 bucks a meal the MH are a pretty good way to go. They only thing is they aren't real high in calories.

The reason I like to make pre-cook food is when I am winter camping I need hi calories food and weight is not a problem.

Get a dehydrator make your chili put in the dehydrator make your own Mountian house. Cantaulope is great buy the ones that are selling cheap cause they are over ripe, Vadilla onions dried are great add beef base you got onion soup.
    I make meals and bag them in food saver bage cover them with layers of foil and heat them on the engine of my Mokai when making trips for hot meals on the fly. Works 4x, Snow go. Car, the bags will work in boiling water but I use campfire not little stove.

Cheers

We use vaccum seal bags and stick them in the boiling water unopened. First time hunting from the boat this year and a friend of ours in the other boat told us about the precook and boiling water trick. All these years and never heard of it. All I can say is AWESOME! Precook all your meals (veggies, chili, sausage & eggs, steak!!), vaccum seal, and when you're ready just throw it in a pot of boiling water to reheat. No cooking mess, barely any garbage, takes up little room versus carrying all the cooking utensils, and nothing left over to attract the the big brown furry types into camp. A lot faster than preparing every meal and when your tired from a day of hiking nothing beats a fast, filling meal and hitting the sack. A couple key points from my own experiences. 1)Take a big enough pot to float the meals. 2) Take a big enough stove to get that big pot boiling fast. 3)Don't get burned opening your nice hot meal while your buddies are clanging away trying to figure out what to cook for dinner!!

I've been heating pre-cooked and vacuum-packed meals for years (homemade in Foodsaver/Magic Vac). I don't cut or puncture the bag to reheat. I use a pot that's big enough to fit the meal (fit the meal bag to the pot) and small enough to fill most of the way with water. I've never had a bag burn on a pan as long as the bag was submerged. I like casseroles best. Lasagna is perfect. Breakfast burritos work well, too.

You can re-use the boil water for washing up, brushing teeth, making coffee, etc. I even do the boil-in-bag thing at home. A lot.

Buy some Folgers Singles coffee bags. They're very handy and you won't need a coffee pot.

Smile food

Sounds like a way of making homemade MRE's to me. Heat em' on a manifold heat em' in their own bag with a little water.

Has anyone tried to use a vacuum sealer to seal up a pre-cooked meal, and then pressure cook it? I would assume that if the bag held up you would essentially be canning in a plastic bag and no refrigeration would be needed? I know very little on canning, just thought I'd throw it out there...

Interesting thought, and you really wouldn't need to pre-cook as the "canning" in the pressure cooker would cook the product. My conern would be the plastic leaching chemicals as the higher temperature. I'd contact the bag maker to see what the max temp the bags are rated at.

Default Cooperative Extension

Quote Originally Posted by sparty2005 View Post
    Has anyone tried to use a vacuum sealer to seal up a pre-cooked meal, and then pressure cook it? I would assume that if the bag held up you would essentially be canning in a plastic bag and no refrigeration would be needed? I know very little on canning, just thought I'd throw it out there...
    sparty2005,

Hit the phone book.

Look up the University location nearest you and get the Cooperative Extension Service agent. This is exactly the sort of thing they can help teach you about.

Your tax dollars at work!