Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awesome video I shot in PWS last Friday

Default Awesome video I shot in PWS last Friday

Alright guys, I shot this video while we were out on a 3-day trip last weekend and thought I'd share it with you all. These guys look like baby killer whales, but in fact they are dall's porpoises. We just slowed down to 3 MPH and started filming. You can tell by our surroundings that the weather was certainly on our side for the whole trip. What a beatiful place we have here in AK.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaZnqAqCbuI

Default awesome just awesome

You will remember that trip for the rest of your life!!!!!!

Very cool! Aren't they the greatest? I used to fish a lot out at Pony and they'd follow me along as I was running. What's funny is if I stopped they'd just swim away, and then when I'd start up again they'd come back and follow along with me again. It was really like they just wanted to play.

We had them playing with us out of seward a couple of weekends ago. They are such fun to watch. Just like kids out there having fun and and not a care in the world. Great vide0
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Default They are drawn

to the pressure wave
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default Nice PWS weekend

I was also out in the sound last weekend. Couldn't ask for much better weather. Also had the porpoises follow us for a while. What a blast. It's awesome to watch them swim underwater. We also had 8-10 killer whales within 20-30 feet of us. Seemed like they were playing around. One jumped half way out of the water a couple of times (of course the camera was off at that time!!). Has anyone had any trouble with the killer whales too close to the boat and bumping it or damaging it?...just wondering if we should try to keep distance or just enjoy. Anyway awesome weekend and thanks for sharing the great video!

Great Video!!! We didn't see them this weekend but we did see a humpback cow and calf for quite some time. As for killer whales bumping the boat or hazard. I've been surrounded by them many a time. Never had any problems. Its quite intimidating the first time I must admit. Two summers ago between pony cove and Ailak Cape, there must have been 50-75 of them that day. That was amazing to see!!!

If you're running a jet boat the dall porpoise love ya, just move along at a fast trolling speed and they'll play all around you for as long as you want. Video is the only way to go though good luck trying to get a still picture of them fast buggers. We always seemed to have better fishing days when we saw them....

Very cool to see and a great quality video...what were you using.

Default Esther Passage

A couple years ago a group ot the Dall's came swimming by, going real fast didn't even notice we where putting along. Thought wow they always come over and play in the boat wake.
    Well after watching them swim within 20' from us and off in the distance, it was then the Killer Whales did the same thing, so they where swimming for their life. The killers where all around us for a min or 2, and off to try and eat dinner I guess.
    Although my buddy almost did his pants, it was cool to see!

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    If you're running a jet boat the dall porpoise love ya, just move along at a fast trolling speed and they'll play all around you for as long as you want. Video is the only way to go though good luck trying to get a still picture of them fast buggers. We always seemed to have better fishing days when we saw them....
    Here's a couple still shots I took after turning off the video mode. I couldn't believe they turned out so good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by 2PawsRiver View Post
    Very cool to see and a great quality video...what were you using.
    And two more still shots. I was using a simple Sony Cybershot 8.1 MP compact camera, believe it or not! It will now be a permanent part of my boat box after seeing the great shots and video it is capable of.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That glass calm water doesn't hurt the visibility into the water either. Looks like incredible weather, hopefully it returns soon and stays for the rest of the summer.

Nice video, thanks for sharing.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

we also saw dozens of them on sat. but just as I was telling a guy we might have to pull the lines the inevitable happened for the 7th time one snagged my line and spooled me he did about a dozen backflips on his way out looked cool but it cost me a butterfly jig and 1000 ft of diawa dendo
    Dave

Definatley my favorite critter in the sound!

And nothing better then being in the sound with good weather.

Default awesome

believe it or not but one of these guys actually got tangled in my line and took all 900 feet of line in a matter of 6-7 seconds. we had no choice but to cut the line other wise it would've pulled me off the boat. The interesting thing is that i was all caught on video. not so fun trust me.

I was fishing off the big island of Hawaii several years back and the porpoises there are amazing bait stealers. We were trolling baits for marlin, and they would somehow take them off moving hooks without getting hooked....I don't know how they managed that.

The captain said he'd been fishing in Hawaii for 20 years and had only ever heard of one actually getting hooked.

Not really relevant to Alaska, but an interesting story about porpoises.

Very cool still shots larsen, sony cybershot eh, might be time for a new camera, I have a couple "decent" shots but don't think my shutterspeed is quick enough. Well done!

Very Very Cool.. One of these days im gonna make it out on the water without gettin sick.
    Looks i might of had a chance the day you took the and pics video..

The nice thing about the sound is there are alot of days that are very flat and with the outlying islands acting as barriers, you don't get the rollers out of the Gulf that you do in Seward.

I'd say better then 1/2 the time we head out in the sound the water is very flat, but we're careful to pick our weather days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast