Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Willow 5/8

Default Willow 5/8

FIshed Willow Saturday with a late start at about 1:30. Landed 3. Not big by any means but was nice to land some fish. Didn't really expect anything so it was worth the drive up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Willow 5-8-10(2).jpg   Willow 5-8-10(3).jpg  

Default 3rd

Last fish we caught.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Willow 5-8-10.jpg  

Great day on the water and of course the weather did not suck at all either. Makes for a good time
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

any kings yet?

Default Kings....none

Didn't see anything else that resmebled a fish except for what I caught. Out of the 5-10 people there I was the only one who caught anything that I saw. A guy a few feet down from me hooked one and looked like he was "setting the hook" quite frequently but I think he was hitting bottom.

dang it!!! kings need to come earlier

kings won't start showing up there for at lest another 3 weeks
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Well done!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Default Stumped

I fished Willow a few hours before you with a friend. Skunked... didnt even see a bow. Concentrated on the confluence to upstream a 1/4 mile or so. Apparently we were holding our mouths wrong. We threw most of what we had in the box; thundercreeks, wooly buggers, leaches, bead heads. Any advice to share...are we missing something or are the Willow bows just a finicky bunch

Default Nice post - thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by bowdy15 View Post
    Last fish we caught.
    You had a good day, man! Somedays, I wonder if trout aren't more active when the water warms up? Steelhead seem that way in October to me. Any way, congratulations.

Good looking purple ESL too and photo. Tough taking pictures when fishing alone, isn't it? This one turned out good; with the fish in the water and one-handing the fish... a favorite way for me of gettin the photo done. In fact, some in-the-water pics turn out interesting because the fish... participated. I use a small tripod often, but getting stuff set up while the fish swims around isn't always simple. Good looking fly: I like those pink metal beadheads for this fly - tied a bunch of #2s for silvers too. This one looks like a #6 maybe?

Congratulations - you're off! Have a good season.

Default Flies

The fly in the first to pictures was some weird minnow/smolt/fry monster creation thing I tied haha. I was destroyed after that fish so I have to tie more, it was just a dumbell head with red and green deer hair and 1 piece of flash in the middle. Really really sparse. I think i took a picture of it in my thread a while back showing some of my recent ties.

As for the pictures...I wasn't alone haha. It was just difficult to get a straight on picture cause the bank at the waterline was steep. If you were in the water you were shoulders deep. And I knew I was gonna post pics and didn't to many people gripping about the fish being out of water and practice some better release techniques, so the pics suffered a bit.

Fish on!

A buddy and I are looking to try Willow on Saturday, any advise on whether we should try the confluence up, the bridge down or the bridge up stream? I only fished it twice last year and never even saw a bow.... Any thoughts would be great, thanks!

Fish are still in the main streams. I would stay close to the Sue. Best of luck.

Thanks Bowdy- I'll post a report. Just never seem to find them when I go out there, but I love it's solitude fishing out there. My buddy hasn't fished yet since he arrived up here and I am hoping to get us on something.

Smile Hozn boz

14 bows landed, plus 1 grayling. My buddy did just as good. No huge fish landed over 23'', but we both hooked some toads. Think Big Su.:

I have never fished the Susitna, are you talking about the mouth of Willow area, or should we go somewhere North or South of the Confluence, or Desha Landing Area??? I am pretty new to fishing the Park Streams. Any Advise will help, thanks guys

Cut Thoat- That is a pretty good day out on the water, I was thinking of using some black/purple ESL, Muddlers, Thunder Creeks, Stones, Woolys and Leeches. Is there anything else you would consider throwing? Thanks!!

Default little help

Try small olive sculpins. Swing and feed slowly on the bottom. Lots of lead. Flesh always works.

Thanks Cut Throat, I'll give 'er a try and hope for some tight line

Fished Willow today from 730 to 1100 with no luck... nice day to be on the water though. I talked to a few other flyers who were out there and same story with them. The water was a bit dirty, the birds were out there feasting away and didn't see any kings rolling although there were folks fishing for them. I hit the confluence and all three branches that come into the sue. Tried everything I had, didn't see any fish. I tried to cross to get to the Sue side, thought I was going to be swimmings, so I decided against that one Great day none the less! Hopefully one day I will catch a rainbow at Willow, they seem to always elude me... Thanks for all the advise I got from you folks before heading out, I don't think it was a lack of arsenal, rather than lack of hungry fish

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast