Thread: Black Bear Report? Homer / Kenai area

Default Black Bear Report? Homer / Kenai area

My Dad and I have a boat based black bear hunt booked for next week and I was wondering if anyone could give me a report on black bear activity. We are leaving out of Homer and heading to the outer coast of the Kenai Penn. We plan on focusing our efforts on the tidal flats. Any tips/pointers are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Kevin

a couple boats are on their 1st trip, not sure if they are back yet so i don't know how they did.
    raining right now, but i know bears have been seen on this side, and some sows and cubs across the bay so the boars must be up too. the outer coast is ahead of across the bay, so no doubt the bears are up.
    i am sure you will have a good time and see plenty of bears.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Went out around the corner the last weekend in April/First in May and they were not out in full force. We did see four bears total in 3 days one of which was eating seaweed on the tidal flats. By the time we got to the beach he had moseyed up into the thick stuff and we couldn't track him. I didn't connect this time, but all in all it was a great trip. Catching a 70lb halibut on a salmon rod is always a hoot.
    Shoot me a PM and I'll give you some more specifics.

Thanks guys! Glad to hear they are moving around a little.

Mountain Man Jack,

Sent you an email!

Kevin, just got back last Friday from the Port Dick area. We saw bears, probably over 2 dozen. They were still high on the hill and lazy, like they just got up. We made stalks, but the hillside was awful. I think you have the timing just right for this spring. Good luck.