Thread: Anchor River 40" fish?

Default Anchor River 40" fish?

I was in Sportsman's Warehouse today and noticed that under their river board the Anchor River was listed as having 40" plus fish! My Question is are they talking about spring steelies or kings? I haven't herd kings referred to in inches but If there are 40" plus steelhead in the Anchor than what am I doing typing on my computer in Seward?

well since there aren't spring steelies there, I'd guess kings
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

40 pounds??? That sounds a little bit on the big side though.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Hey there are Steelies in the Anchor in the spring..... I personally have caught them. They are not of any size (and no they are NOT fall hold overs... Dime bright and fresh). Just a little F.Y.I.

Default Yes...

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish View Post
    Hey there are Steelies in the Anchor in the spring..... I personally have caught them. They are not of any size (and no they are NOT fall hold overs... Dime bright and fresh). Just a little F.Y.I.
    ... I have as well. And Patrick... I SO wanted to eat it.

Dont know personally about the Anchor but dont ever trust Sportsmans boards. They are almost always inaccuarate, often times far more misleading then helpful... They are usually really outdated brief snippets from the weekly ADFG fishing reports, which can also be inaccurate quite often. Your best resource is probably the discussion going on in these forums, they are full of helpful men and women who spend their time on the water.

Default don't believe it...

I fish a lot for steelhead down here "in America" aka the Lower 48. "A lot" means somewhere between 50 and 90 days. Maybe more. I don't count 'em.

(I hope the sourdoughs on this board don't flame me over "in America" and revoke my pending visa application for this summer. It was just meant as humor)

Anyway, being curious about steehead in general but never having fished the Anchor, (and highly suspicious of this 40" length) I googled the subject and came up with an old (1981) ADFG report on steelhead in the Anchor.

The largest adult steelhead documented in that report was a female repeat spawner that was 33.8". (out of about 100 fish)

As any good intelligence analyst would do at the C.I.A: Analyze the source of the information before your read the report. Anoynmous sources have NO credibility in my life an no, I don't work for the CIA.

L

p.s. I'm GUESSING the steelhead in the Anchor are either spawing right now or have spawned and left? But maybe with the water temp up there the spawning is in June?

Default 42 pounds 3 oz. Alaska Steelhead State Record

You didn't find any good intell when your google search didn't turn up our state record for steelhead caught off of Bell Island in 1970 by 8 yr. old David White while fishing for king salmon. He thought it was a king. Wrong! Was the world record for rainbow trout untill the Canadians twin brothers broke the record. I have seen 40" plus steel hooked at Stariski, but there is not much access with it being surrounded by private property. Tight lines.

40" steelhead are few and far between. I have landed thousands of them, and never personally broken the 40" mark - closest was 39.5".

Most steelhead in AK seem to clock in at the 30"-32" range.

Default 40" Holy Grail

I agree, I took me over 20 years to break the 40" mark with a 40.5" fish and it was a bow. My best steel is a 38.5" C&R on the Kenai P. We must be brothers from different mothers by the looks of your avatar. Chasing steel and kings Thursday and Friday. Tight lines.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1010077.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by akriverman View Post
    You didn't find any good intell when your google search didn't turn up our state record for steelhead caught off of Bell Island in 1970 by 8 yr. old David White while fishing for king salmon. He thought it was a king. Wrong! Was the world record for rainbow trout untill the Canadians twin brothers broke the record. I have seen 40" plus steel hooked at Stariski, but there is not much access with it being surrounded by private property. Tight lines.
    AK

I did see state record but since it was an ocean caught fish and down there in SE where large steelies exist along the BC/AK coast line, I didn't believe it had anything to do with the Anchor. Now, I did note your smiley face so this is just beer to beer talk!

The largest steelhead I ever saw caught was an honest 39 1/2" in Idaho's salmon river and I'm positive it was a fish with Clearwater genetics. The largest steelhead ever recorded in the Northwest was well over 50 pounds in the Columbia and two bits says it was headed for the North Fork, Clearwater but we shall never-ever know.

So.... when do steelies spawn in the Anchor out of curiosity? June?

L

When steelies spawn in the Anchor is affected by the water temp but for the most part they are May spawners. There are some stiil busy in June with the number inriver decreasing weekly as July nears.

Ice:

Thanks, always interested in these remarkable fish...

L

Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish View Post

Well in 40 years of reports studying anchor river steelhead there has not been a documented spring fish I could find in liturature... More likely you are catching a really early summer fish which I'm sure do exist in the Anchor (I've seen em too). Summer steelhead in general enter from may to october then overwinter, spawn in may then leave after that, its entirely possible that they are exhibiting that life history (probably following salmon to feed).

Also steelhead tend to "rechrome" on the way out too
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The biggest Anchor steelhead I have caught was right at 34" and the biggest I have seen there was a 35" fish caught by my buddy.
    The biggest steelhead I have ever seen was a gigantic 46 inch buck caught in the Niagara River back in the 80's or 90's.
    Sorry about the image quality. It was well before digital.

Default Great pic....

Great pic, Drifter. Thanks. It highlites the degree to one will go to pursue one of the greatest gamefish. Looks like u earned that one!

Quote Originally Posted by cod View Post
    Great pic, Drifter. Thanks. It highlites the degree to one will go to pursue one of the greatest gamefish. Looks like u earned that one!
    I wish it was me.
    It was a fellow Ontario angler from days past.
    But I went through that type of stuff for the past 30 years chasing steel.

I remember fishing some shore ice in February in single digit temps.
    The ice broke and sent me sliding into the river. When I climbed out I was cold for a few minutes while my body warmed up the water in my boots and floater suit, but was ok after warming up. I fished there for 4 hours afterward!!! When I got back to the truck I couldn't get my boots off because they had frozen solid including the laces.
    Steelheading is not for the timid or weak, standing in waist deep 34 degree water in the middle of winter during a snow storm is the norm.

I went back East for Christmas and spent most of my time standing in a steelhead river somewhere on Lake Huron, Erie or Ontario.