Thread: The one that got away!!!

Default The one that got away!!!

Here is a pic of a blcak bear visitor I had last year and never got to arrow hoping he is still around. Also got a pic of a wolf on my leaf river that was kinda neat. Anybody that is good at guessing black bear size I would like to hear your opinion.

BIG 27
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ďA man does not climb a mountain without bringing some of it away with him,and leaving something of himself upon it -- Sir Martin Conway

Wow thats an impressive bear! You can almost be sure that would make Pope and Young if you stick it with an arrow.

Default Awesome

Love that pic of the wolf pissing on camera. That looks like a bruiser of a blackie to boot.

That there is a beautiful bear! Fingers crossed he's back again this year for ya.
    Jess
    Bait Em 907
    Bear Bait & Moose Lure Company
    www.baitem907.com
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bait-E...56572604387163

My goodness that is one beautiful picture of a bear. Good Luck!

GORGEOUS!

I'd like to see a wolf around my bait

Default WOW!!!

Wow thats a gig bear!! Im surprised over the years I dont see more critters with the trail cam. Have never seen yotes or wolves etc. Maybe the dogs are more interested in rotting carcasses than sweets.

That picture sure makes him look big, which also makes it difficult to judge his size. The shape of his melon, the lack of forehead crease, and the way his ears sit, he's probably got an 18" skull. Based on what I see in his head features he's probably at or right around 6'. I'm thinking if he had the forehead crease and his ears were more to the side of his head it would mean you're dealing with an older bear, which usually means bigger.

I'm open to hear other observations, this is just based on what I see.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't hesitate on that bear if he came creeping up on my stand.

Default Foot/Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    That picture sure makes him look big, which also makes it difficult to judge his size. The shape of his melon, the lack of forehead crease, and the way his ears sit, he's probably got an 18" skull. Based on what I see in his head features he's probably at or right around 6'. I'm thinking if he had the forehead crease and his ears were more to the side of his head it would mean you're dealing with an older bear, which usually means bigger.

I'm open to hear other observations, this is just based on what I see.

Nonetheless, I wouldn't hesitate on that bear if he came creeping up on my stand.
    Just looking at something that is close to a known size to get some kind of proportion.

The water bottle appears to be one of the 16.9 oz (500ml) water bottles, which are somewhere around 8 1/4" tall.
    Tack that rough measurement to his very furry front paw, and you will find that the front right paw is about as wide as the bottle is tall. Similarly with the front left paw.
    Granted there is some depth perception error, and a nice coat on his feet... but one could easily surmise that this guys front pads are approximately 6" wide.

Utilizing AOD as a source; we can further conclude that this is a 6-7' bear.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29971

In short; nice bear, good looking hide.

Hopefully you can connect with him this year.

I was gonna say the same thing about the bottle but Stogey beat me to it. Nice looker there.
    Originally Posted by BIGBOB
    Estimate of time of death appears to be same day he died.

Quote Originally Posted by Stogey View Post
    Just looking at something that is close to a known size to get some kind of proportion.

The water bottle appears to be one of the 16.9 oz (500ml) water bottles, which are somewhere around 8 1/4" tall.
    Tack that rough measurement to his very furry front paw, and you will find that the front right paw is about as wide as the bottle is tall. Similarly with the front left paw.
    Granted there is some depth perception error, and a nice coat on his feet... but one could easily surmise that this guys front pads are approximately 6" wide.

Utilizing AOD as a source; we can further conclude that this is a 6-7' bear.

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=29971

In short; nice bear, good looking hide.

Hopefully you can connect with him this year.
    Nice observation. I'm still thinking as of that picture he's not quite in his prime yet. He's probably going to look really good this year.

Nice pics!!!
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.