Thread: Talley 2 piece bases vs. lightweight 2 piece mounts w/integral rings

Default Talley 2 piece bases vs. lightweight 2 piece mounts w/integral rings

Anyone using the Talley 2 piece bases and fixed scope rings? What height with what scope? Like, love ‘em, hate ‘em…?

I have used the lightweight 2 piece scope mounts with integral rings on four different rifles in the past, and still have one of them, a Kimber 84M Montana. Three of them have been lightweight rifles, and I was trying to keep it that way. Never had a bit of trouble with them, my only gripe is they aren’t the most aesethetically pleasing to the eye. Light as a feather though...

I bought a used Weatherby Mark V and it came with the Talley 2 piece bases and fixed Weatherby/Talley rings and they are stylish and hold great with .338 recoil levels. I am getting a Kimber 8400 SuperAmerica and want to install this style for looks and function and not as concerned with weight on this rifle. Here are pictures of the rings I am talking about and a picture of the lightweight 2 piece mounts with integral rings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    Anyone using the Talley 2 piece bases and fixed scope rings? What height with what scope? Like, love ‘em, hate ‘em…?

I have used the lightweight 2 piece scope mounts with integral rings on four different rifles in the past, and still have one of them, a Kimber 84M Montana. Three of them have been lightweight rifles, and I was trying to keep it that way. Never had a bit of trouble with them, my only gripe is they aren’t the most aesethetically pleasing to the eye. Light as a feather though...

I bought a used Weatherby Mark V and it came with the Talley 2 piece bases and fixed Weatherby/Talley rings and they are stylish and hold great with .338 recoil levels. I am getting a Kimber 8400 SuperAmerica and want to install this style for looks and function and not as concerned with weight on this rifle. Here are pictures of the rings I am talking about and a picture of the lightweight 2 piece mounts with integral rings.
    I have the lightweight integral base rings pic 2 on my SS Vanguard Laminate .257 Weatherby in conjunction with a Weaver Grand Slam 2-10x 40mm scope. The combo is rock solid and accurate...I shoot steel rams at 550yds. with it at the range I frequent. Absolutely no complaints with them.

Talley Lightweight one piece, pic 2.

4.5 X 14 X 50 VX 3l on a Tikka T3. Ring height=Low

First time using these rings and I love them.

I have the one-piece ring/bases (pic 2) on my Wby Ultra Lightweight .280 and really like them. However, I agree that they are not the best looking setup. Pic #1 seems like a good setup and better looking to my eye as well. I say give 'em a shot and see what you think.

I am going to try the ones in pic 1 of previous post. One advantage they have going for them over pic 2 in previous post, is they do offer quick detach rings if a man had a mind to go that direction. Dis-advantages are more weight, and they cost over twice as much as those in pic 2 because you have to buy bases and rings.

Below is a pictures of the QD style and the bases for them and the rings in pic 1 in previous post.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ozarks View Post
    I am going to try the ones in pic 1 of previous post. One advantage they have going for them over pic 2 in previous post, is they do offer quick detach rings if a man had a mind to go that direction. Dis-advantages are more weight, and they cost over twice as much as those in pic 2 because you have to buy bases and rings.

Below is a pictures of the QD style and the bases for them and the rings in pic 1 in previous post.

I have many bases and rings that you show above for a lot of my rifles and I don't think the oz es you save can be detected by hunting with them. The real advantage is only if you still have a rifle with a front sight and you use the peep sight that Talley makes and sells. Some people buy the quick release rings and don't know that the bases themselves won't allow you to see the front sight. Good rings and bases require a lots of thought and great material and workmanship. Talley provides that, but they require you to have some knowledge also.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    I have many bases and rings that you show above for a lot of my rifles and I don't think the oz es you save can be detected by hunting with them. The real advantage is only if you still have a rifle with a front sight and you use the peep sight that Talley makes and sells. Some people buy the quick release rings and don't know that the bases themselves won't allow you to see the front sight. Good rings and bases require a lots of thought and great material and workmanship. Talley provides that, but they require you to have some knowledge also.
    That is a good point about using the QD's, that is not being able to see the front sight. I bet more than one guy has bought them with that intention and installed and then found he can't see his sights after removing the scope due to the fixed bases.

I threw the pic in for FYI, but I am not going to use the QD style. For one, they are even more high dollar and the rifle I am going to put them on doesn't have and fixed sights installed.

Default talley mounts

I have 2 piece talley mounts on my christesen arms 300 ultra titanium and they work good look good.

Weatherby for many years used the Buhler ring for their rifles and after Buhler gave up the business of making rings and bases, weatherby bought out the rings from the Buhler estate and ma still sell them. I can tell you for a fact that nobody has made a better set of rings than Buhler did and I even include today. But to do a proper job of installing these ring require you to be able to measure your scope tube and to measure the gap at the bottom of the rings. The Buhler rings used a shim at the top of the ring and you had to adjust for the dia of the scope tube. These except on my old M-70's (pre-64's) are what I replaced on most of my rifles with the newer Talley's.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Talley

I am using the Talley one piece rings (fixed base/rings) and really like them a lot. Very solid and stable on my magnum rifles. I wouldn't use another others.

I mostly have the 1" medium height. But I am using 44mm scopes so they work well for that.