Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp Storage

Default Shrimp Storage

We are pretty new to shrimping. How do you guys freeze your shrimp? I was thinking of just vacumm sealing them, or putting them in a plastic bag, add water and freeze. Looking for suggestions.

I used to fill the reusable glad or ziplock containers 2/3 shrimp and top off with water and freeze them. The bricks stack nicely. Now I wrap them in freezer paper and then vacuum pack them. They take up less space and taste just as good. In fact we still have some from last season...but not many. I say vacuum pack them.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I put them in a thin plastic bag, (like vegi bag from Grocery store) then wrap in freezer paper,( to keep them from puncturing bag) then vacume seal. works good, takes up less room in the freezer and no complaints on eating them.

Muskey and Spoiled One, thanks for the reply. Time to fire up the vacuum sealer.

Default Alaska Butcher Supply on Mountian View

, has styrofoam trays like you get meat on from the grocery AND a roll of vinyl sheets for over top of the shrimp. Together they make a profesional looking package that will not be punctured. Just ask them about "their stuff for packaging shrimp".
    Mike

Default Bags and water

Zip lock bags and water work the best. I have tried everything else. Trays, vacuum sealing .... done it all. The problem with trays and vacuum sealing is you can not suck out all of the air. Can't happen. Vacuum sealing and the little points poke through the bag.

After 8 years of shrimping, Zip Locks and water.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Peel the raw shrimp, then vacuum seal.

Do a search on the forum for this topic--it's been discussed to death before, with some great advice and even pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Peel the raw shrimp, then vacuum seal.
    Peeling raw spot prawns is a chore I avoid at all costs. Peeling them is a PAIN.

Unfortunately, I usually don't have enough left overs to worry about freezing shrimp. When I do, I use the water/zip-lock trick.

Thumbs up Dan Knows

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Peeling raw spot prawns is a chore I avoid at all costs. Peeling them is a PAIN.

Unfortunately, I usually don't have enough left overs to worry about freezing shrimp. When I do, I use the water/zip-lock trick.
    Never peel raw shrimp. You will destroy the meat. Pete nailed it with the glad disposable tupperware. It stacks in the freezer sweet. No leaks. Perfect. Once the shrimp has been frozen, it peels easily.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Quote Originally Posted by akpfeiff View Post
    Do a search on the forum for this topic--it's been discussed to death before, with some great advice and even pictures!
    Like this one... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...in+the+freezer
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Not sure what you all arre smoken but its not fish. Raw shrimp are way easier to peel than cooked shrimp, and if you freeze them right there is no meat degridation. it is all technique.

Double bag the shrimp in quart-sized freezer bags. Place one empty bag inside another. Add shrimp until near full or whatever. Fill with water. Zip inner bag almost all the way across. Push down on top of bag until all air excapes and lots of water comes out. As you finish pushing down and letting water out, zip rest of the way. No air in bag. Zip outer bag. If inner gets punctured, the outer will hold what leaks out. Never had a problem. Never frozen after peeled. Most often eat shrimp after boiling in water containing Old Bay seasoning. Peel and eat. Dang, I'm getting hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by mallardman View Post
    Raw shrimp are way easier to peel than cooked shrimp
    Are we talking about fresh spot prawns? Seriously? Peeling raw spot prawns is a horrible job. The shells are practically glued and stapled onto them, and the meat is so delicate it gets smashed in the process.

If I need them peeled for something (jambalaya, for instance), I'll often blanch them (a quick dip in hot water), just to make them easier to peel.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan in Alaska View Post
    Are we talking about fresh spot prawns? Seriously? Peeling raw spot prawns is a horrible job. The shells are practically glued and stapled onto them, and the meat is so delicate it gets smashed in the process.

If I need them peeled for something (jambalaya, for instance), I'll often blanch them (a quick dip in hot water), just to make them easier to peel.
    I agree fresh shrimp are a pain to peel, but if you wait a day they seem to break down and are much easier to peel.

Thanks for all the postings. I finally froze them this morning. I did the quart ziplock with water deal. Gonna eat some again tonight. Man they are good.

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    ...The problem with trays and vacuum sealing is you can not suck out all of the air. Can't happen. Vacuum sealing and the little points poke through the bag.
    You are pretty much correct if you are using a food saver type vacuum sealer, however, this method works outstanding with a chamber sealer. If you are worried about freezer space, then vacuum sealing will produce a smaller package for the number of shrimp frozen. For me, wrapping in freezer paper and sealing in a chamber sealer works the best...no issues with broken seals. I never had any luck with the food saver type sealers and shrimp.

do you guys leave the heads on?
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    do you guys leave the heads on?
    Never. I guess some people might eat the heads like crawfish, but unless you do that I see no reason to keep 'em.

Save the heads and drop them in a mesh bag off your anchor. Draws in the flat fish.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast