Thread: I hear you can't fire modern 22 rimfire ammo in a 1903 Winchester 22 semi auto?

Default I hear you can't fire modern 22 rimfire ammo in a 1903 Winchester 22 semi auto?

I hear you can't fire modern 22 rimfire ammo in a 1903 Winchester 22 semi auto???
    What's the difference in ammo for 1903 22 Winchester 22 auto & modern 22 rimfirre? If there is a difference when did the rimfire change take place and what for?

The .22 auto ammo for the 1903 WINCHESTER is larger than the .22 rimfire ammo of today, actually I should tell you that the .22 rimfire was and invention of the Savage Company which was known then as the Savage Arms and Tool company. I (if I remember correctly was brought out in 1882 or 1885? The rifle you have is chamber for a larger ctg. I can remember when that ammo was still around 35 years ago, and was it ever expensive even back then. A friend of mine made the mistake of buying a 1903 chambered like your's because he thought it was the same as one of my Model 63 WINCHESTERS that he loved to shoot, was he ever broken hearted to find that it cost a lot of money to shoot.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks Big Al, I had never learned that. I read that in the gun Blue Book under Winchester 1903's, not to fire modern 22 rimfire ammo in them. It didn't say what to fire in them though!

Those 1903's are a sweet design. Loading through the butt, being able to cycle the action without breaking your stock weld, the cool cutout in the buttstock...

My fifteen year old son made similar comments as I was thinking and added, "Dad why don't they make them like this today, this is a great design". I replied, "no one could afford to buy them son, look at the workmanship and what it took to make them". After shouldering the 1903 he also commented, "Dad, people must have been a lot smaller back then". I said, "yes, people were smaller. We got bigger over time and now most people are not only bigger, but fat too! (I am trying to lose some weight and get in better shape... I'm assuming I am going to draw my mulie tag for CO!)

I think the Japs had a copy of the WINCHESTER M-63 some few years ago. Yes it is one of my all time favorite rifles, I do love them, I have one of each (or more) of the WINCHESTERS M-61, M-62 and my all time favorite is the M-63. I do have one unfired M-63 that is my pride and I have a M-63 that has been used a lot, I've had for many years. Truth to be told there are not many .22 rimfire .22 I don't have, I've always been a sucker for a good .22 rimfire.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Old Western Scrounger usually has some