Thread: Packing Out Meat

Default Packing Out Meat

Ok, this is probably a completely silly question, but here goes.

When you are packing out meat, do you just put the meat in your backpack or do you lash it right to the frame?

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    do you just put the meat in your backpack or do you lash it right to the frame?
    Both, PLUS lots of bungies, and I mean LOTS of bungies help. It can go in the bag, or bag removed and attached to the frame. But it needs to be rigidly secure.

Default frame or no frame

If you have an internal frame pack, use a meat sack and put in pack, if you have a freighter pack or external frame pack, put the meat in a sack and tie to frame, the shelf on a freighter pack really helps keep the meat on the frame. I use cotton meat sacks, let the meat breath, and continue to cool, I never put warm meat in a plastic bag. It is best if you hang the meat first and get it cooled down before transporting. Good luck hunting.

Thanks for the answers! After testing out our packs, one of the external frames we were going to use needs a few repairs that won't be done in time for our trip in two weeks, so I wanted to make sure the internal frame would be okay to use.

It all depends on a number of things. If you are going to take the time to bone out the animal (useful for longer hauls and/or more technical hauls where you don't want either the added weight for very long or the added bulk), you can do as what others have posted above.

If you are keeping it on the bone (my preference, meat is easier to handle when you have the bone to tie to to hang and to hold while moving around), then you are almost always limited to strapping the meat (in a game bag) to the outside of a pack. Use an external frame pack with the bag removed. Most frames have good pegs for tie-down locations. A good length of parachute cord can secure a piece of meat pretty well. Never tried the bungy, seems like it could allow a little too much movement of the meat for my liking, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure.

If you are going to haul meat on/in a pack, plan ahead. Other things that are on your waist such as a sidearm can really be a pain in the a## when trying to carry a lot of weight. You need a good waist strap on the pack that doesn't have anything under it digging into your hip. I got a chest holster for my pistol so I can carry it and have it handy while the meat load is on my back. I figure if I am going to be a walking piece of bear bait, I might as well give myself a chance to fight back...

Quote Originally Posted by dreamerofdreams View Post
    Thanks for the answers! After testing out our packs, one of the external frames we were going to use needs a few repairs that won't be done in time for our trip in two weeks, so I wanted to make sure the internal frame would be okay to use.
    Invest in a GOOD External Frame, you will never regreat it. You can buy the bag later.

Default I only pack moose or sheep

for moose, I usually boned it out placed in game bags and then inside a garbage bag without tying the top off. For sheep, tripled bagged in garbage bags, sunk in the creek, so meat has been cooled off. If I don't make it all the way out, it goes back in the creek for the night.
    I use a different bag for moose. I don't like getting my sheep bag that smelly.

I never bone my meat out. Always put it in cotton game bags and lash to pack frame.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Default Packing Meat

I use an external frame pack, do not bone out the meat, and almost always place it in the main bag of the pack. I have found most internal frame packs too small for large moose quarters (you can't get them in the bag), and they're very hot for packing because they sit right on your back.

As was mentioned, you can tie the meat on the pack frame, but of course it needs to be in a game bag. I don't do this, because it's too easy to tear a hole in my game bag when I'm packing through the timber, brush, etc. Also animals can see that white game bag moving along through the woods. Since I am often hunting while I'm packing meat, this is a consideration. Finally if I am packing in the rain, the meat will get wet if it's not inside the pack. If you are packing with just the frame, you might consider using parachute cord to secure the meat to the frame. Lace it in all the way around and you should be good to go. It takes more time than just dropping it in the pack, but I've done it and it certainly works. I don't prefer bungees for this for two reasons: they're heavy (you have to carry them with you the whole time until you shoot something, right?), and the hooks can catch and tear my game bags. Also they tend to stretch and I don't like that. I want a nice secure load. Just my personal preference; clearly there are lots of ways to do this.

I use a trash compactor bag for a pack liner, to keep blood out of my pack. This is an exception to my own rule of not putting meat in plastic bags when it is warm. It's only in there a short while, so no big deal.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay