Thread: Kings in the Kenai River?

Default Kings in the Kenai River?

Was down this past weekend. Saw a couple power boats and some drift boats come through Pillars? Rumors of king(s) being caught.

Anyone want to let us know?

Default Well...

I am guessing "The Switchboard" knows.....

any word yet Yukon??

Certainly not too early.

Maybe the rumors will get a few folks excited.

For those who can't make it to fish the early run, here's the next best thing...

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=78935
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

World record king caught May 17th on the Kenai River in 1985! definitely not too early. Probably not optimal, but definitely not too early.

I have asked around and don't have any confirmations. There should have been one or two caught by now. I have heard the water is on the rise, and with decent reports coming from the salt there should be a few kings in the river. I will post as soon as I hear anything.

Default Earliest King

Earliest confirmed king harvested by a sport fishermen in the Kenai River was April 30. This was several years ago but if you need personal confirmation just ask Doug, the head druggest at Soldotna Fred Meyer's. Usually the first K.R. king of the year is taken between May 5 and 8.

There was one caught April 25th in 1998. It was caught at Sunken Island, it was a 45lb hen.

Default April 24

My memory failed me as to the date of the earliest king taken in the Kenai River that I had confirmation on. Not just a rumor, but from the "horses mouth". Talked to Doug today and he said his Sunken Island king was taken on April 24. Yukon, this is most likely the same one you referred to as Doug said 40-45 pounds. Forgot to ask him the year, but 1998 seems about right. Any old-timers out there with stories of an earler one?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lure View Post
    My memory failed me as to the date of the earliest king taken in the Kenai River that I had confirmation on. Not just a rumor, but from the "horses mouth". Talked to Doug today and he said his Sunken Island king was taken on April 24. Yukon, this is most likely the same one you referred to as Doug said 40-45 pounds. Forgot to ask him the year, but 1998 seems about right. Any old-timers out there with stories of an earler one?
    I am sure it is the same fish, I remember talking with the guy a while after he had caught the fish. I was actually fishing out of deep creek that day and remember coming back through Soldotna and seeing it posted on the board at Ken's Alaskan Tackle. That is the earliest fish I have ever heard of. I would be there were some earlier at some point in history, it would be interesting to see some early document fish.

I still don't have any confirmation of a king being caught in the river this year. I will make some calls.......

Default Kings in the Kenai River?

Not that interested in 1985, 1998 or whatever. I remember geting out in mid May when I was in high school and doing very well for kings. Of course I also used ample amounts of bait to do it.

So, the difficulty in the early season is now much more.

Has anyone actually heard of kings being caught this year?

I know of at least 2 confirmed Kings caught in the last week from the Kenai. Slow, but there are a few out there.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

thanks Mark

Default kings

A buddy told me of three today at the pillars. They ARE there. Go get em.

More like get em now before they close it....

maybe I will add to the total--thanks

We got about a 35 pounder last night on the Kasilof. Fished the incoming tide and got him about exactly high tide. Great way to start the season off with fresh king. He still had lice on him and was so good cooked over the fire for dinner.