Thread: kenai boat launch

Default kenai boat launch

I know of the deep creek tractor launch, scares the heck out of me. Do folks launch on the Kenai river boat launch?
    In 1492 Native Americans discovered Columbus lost at sea

If I come across as an arrogant, know-it-all jerk, it's because I am

Quote Originally Posted by tlingitwarrior View Post
    I know of the deep creek tractor launch, scares the heck out of me. Do folks launch on the Kenai river boat launch?
    Do you mean to fish out in the salt? I used to stay at a place on the Kenai and the people that owned it used to go out of the mouth to fish for halibut and were successful doing it. I've never heard of anyone going out of the Kenai to go fish the Deep Creek to Anchor area, but I sure don't know any reason you couldn't. It would be an awfully long run if the water kicks up at all. It would be an awfully long run without the water kicking up for that matter. The nice thing about the tractor launch is that if things do start to get "snotty" you are right there and can get out of the water quickly. I made the run all the way up from Homer yesterday and by the time I wanted to head home the seas had built to occasional 5 ft. wind waves and it was brutal getting back to port. It took me 45 minutes to get up there in the morning and an hour and 50 minutes of pounding to get back. Ouch! If you have really good side guides on your boat and especially some posts at the trailer corners it's not as scary as you might think. And on flat days it is VERY nice to be able to just get backed into the water and then drive right on to your trailer at the end of the day. I love it.

Very few people use the Kenai city launch to access Saltwater fishing.
    From what I hear they used to catch chicken halibut with the occasional bigger one near there on a regular basis. This was when the canneries were allowed to dump all there fish waste right at the river mouth. Now that this has changed I hear that they still catch them but not as often.
    Certainly you would be better off to launch further south for consistent fishing.
    As was muttley crew fishing stated it would be a long run. If you ran a long ways you would be much more susceptible to the weather. There is also the issue of the commercial setnets/drift gillnetters during fishing seasons.
    Put some side bunks on your trailer and the tractor launches are a pretty safe bet. they are a bit spendy though. I think they run $55+ per trip.
    I prefer to launch from Homer and if I want to head that way just run up from there. My seasonal launch pass runs $120 for unlimited use.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    I think they run $55+ per trip.
    I prefer to launch from Homer and if I want to head that way just run up from there. My seasonal launch pass runs $120 for unlimited use.
    I think someone in one of these threads said it's even up to $60 now! I think when I first started doing it I was giving them $35 plus a nice tip. I don't think I even use $60 in gas to get up there in back, so I'd have to trailer my boat, drive all the way up there and then relaunch my boat down here. I'll take the long bone jarring drive back for the ease of just running up there.

I've halibut fished off the mouth of the Kenai river and seemed to always catch one or two when the herring and hooligan were running. A few P-cod and some Big Skates mixed in 3 miles out from the mouth of the Kenai and along the beaches towards North Kenai.

But if you think the Deep Creek Tractor launch is scary, try coming in or out of the Kenai river mouth when the tide is flowing (which you typically encounter since you want to fish the slack tides). Holy Cow some BIG standing waves!!!! Not quite the Columbia River bar but pretty hairy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    But if you think the Deep Creek Tractor launch is scary, try coming in or out of the Kenai river mouth when the tide is flowing (which you typically encounter since you want to fish the slack tides). Holy Cow some BIG standing waves!!!! Not quite the Columbia River bar but pretty hairy!
    Yeah, try the Anchor River, too. I used to launch my boat in the river at high tide and run in and out of it and that could get VERY scary. The sand bars change out there all the time and you get big old waves coming in and crashing over them and you don't see the bar until you're right on top of it. That's why I started using the tractors.

Quote Originally Posted by Kardinal_84 View Post
    I've halibut fished off the mouth of the Kenai river and seemed to always catch one or two when the herring and hooligan were running. A few P-cod and some Big Skates mixed in 3 miles out from the mouth of the Kenai and along the beaches towards North Kenai.

Add the fleet of drift boats coming into the river while the tide is ripping out on a nasty day and it can be downright dangerous

Charterboat Operator

But if you think the Deep Creek Tractor launch is scary, try coming in or out of the Kenai river mouth when the tide is flowing (which you typically encounter since you want to fish the slack tides). Holy Cow some BIG standing waves!!!! Not quite the Columbia River bar but pretty hairy![/QUOTE]

LOL.. just remembered the time we folded the zodiak in half while trying to get back into the river in those standing waves! kinda felt like a human taco wrapped in rubber until we broke over the top! they do get BIG!!