Thread: 180+ sq ft heated for only 12 pounds!!!

Default 180+ sq ft heated for only 12 pounds!!!

Finally got to do the initial burn in my Kifaru large stove inside my GoLite Shangri-La 8.

Been a little bit of a project connecting all the dots of getting the stove, purchasing the stove jack, finding someone to sew the stove jack into the tent (thanks WhitePalm for even installing a velcro removable silnylon patch when not using the tent with a stove as well as vent covers to help seal the heat in when needed), and eventually getting around to firing the thing up.

I posted about this tent last year under "10 lb wall tent". If you want to know more about the setup click that link.

So now its ready for a cold rainy moose season if needed as I now have a way to dry out my gear and stay warm as well. The both the 9.5' wide X 19' long X 6' high tent and stove are just under 6 pounds apiece. Putting in the 3.5 pound bug netting and floor area inside makes for quite the spacious yet cozy bug free abode for only 15 lbs.

This just may be my new boat, wheeler, and even my 4 or more people backpacking setup. MUCH more room and even with the stove is about half the weight as my 6 man Cabelas Guide Model. Granted if above brushline and on a drop off or wheeler camping there won't be any fuel for a stove and weight won't be an issue in those instances so I'll keep the guide model, but I see this setup seeing a LOT more action than the guide model in the coming years.

Anyways, pretty excited here are a couple pics and yes my wife is just tolerating my excitment of setting up the tent in my backyard for the first burn to "set" the stove and pipe.

Getting ready to fire up the stove:

My wife doing her best to act excited about the whole thing :

Getting the fire rolling in the stove:

The beast of a tent and stove all up and running and nice and toasty inside:

Yeah I'm a gear nerd but I hope some of you enjoyed the pics.
    Last edited by Alaska_Lanche; 05-10-2010 at 15:31.

looks good, AK Lanche. How do you fight water running under the tent? do you sleep on cots, or bivys? Does the floor have sides, to keep water from running into the tent? Do you see this setup working good in the cold and snowy condition?Can you make the tent touch the ground?
    Sure beats the tipi pricewise.
    Vadim

Default Easy..

"How do you fight water running under the tent?" Just dig a trench 'round the whole thing...

Quote Originally Posted by vadimb View Post
    looks good, AK Lanche. How do you fight water running under the tent? do you sleep on cots, or bivys? Does the floor have sides, to keep water from running into the tent? Do you see this setup working good in the cold and snowy condition?Can you make the tent touch the ground?
    Sure beats the tipi pricewise.
    Vadim
    Generally from what I have seen the water doesn't really run back underneath the shelter when it is raining. Plus I think I would be too lazy to dig roughly 60' of trench around the shelter. The area I sleep in has a typical bathtub style floor so water running back underneath is of little risk to begin with. Plus the fact that water rarely stands on tundra or other types of ground I typical pitch tents on. If on pavement or extremely hard dirt or something I could see this possibly being a concern if I didn't have the bathtub floor, but I do so its a non-issue.

I fully plan on trying this setup into the snow seasons if I plan on backpacking into an area that is still within tree line for fuel for the stove. Otherwise if I am snowmachining in I'll take my Arctic Oven or if backpacking above treeline I'll just take my 4 season backpacking tent.