Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you reply to this?

Default Would you reply to this?

This morning I got an email from some guy in Florida. I am inclined to Ignore it but part of me wants to reply in hope I can educate this Guy. Here is is his email. Would you reply? or ignore?

From: Londono, Oscar H. [mailto:londonoo@dadeschools.net]
    Sent: Monday, May 10, 2010 8:43 AM
    To: Green_Nathan
    Cc: Londono, Oscar H.
    Subject: Hunting - Web site

5/10/2010

Mr. Green:

I went to your website at http://www.asdk12.org/home.asp?num=103310, and I wonder how can you be so proud after killing such a beautiful animal? Did you use the meat of that animal? Did you check if that animal had a family? I am also a teacher and I have shown that picture to hundreds of my students. Maybe we live in different dimensions, but most probably you donít want to know how many of them reacted. Now is the time that many priceless animal species are being exterminated, and you as a teacher, you are in a unique position to help them.

For your information, I am not a fanatic against hunting. However, I am happy to dedicate my life trying to save animals. They also have the right to live.

Bye,

Mr. Oscar Londono
    Miami, Florida

On one hand I want to say no, not worth your time. But on the other hand, once I stop and think for a second, it looks like a pretty good opportunity to educate somebody. As he said, doesn't seem like he's PETA crazy, just may not understand why we do what we do and the benefits.

LOL!!!!!!HOHOHOHOHOHOHEHEHEHE, man......
    how you restrain yourself beats me.....
    I'm sure he'll be happy to know the true ethics and laws that are up here, if you tell him that is.
    Ask him if he knows Ted Nugent LOL!!!! Ted would be happy to explain it to him.
    I prolly shouldn't make fun of him. Everything must live, at least for a little while, but he must not have thought about how everything must die too....
    If he thinks that they deserve to live because they are "equals" then personally I would read him some of the Bible and tell him "I am" said it was ok.....
    Oh, and this all goes without saying that he has CLEARLY never stepped on and ant, or swatted at a mosquito, or eaten fruit, or had a steak, worn leather shoes, ...................right?

Default Don't bother with a reply

It appears to me this person was sincere with their e-mail. They did not call you names or make other ignorant rants-- besides the extermination bit.

I fight for the freedom of this guy to voice his opinion. I am glad to do it, regardless if I agree with the person or not.

A reply would get nowhere fast. You need to weigh the outcome of a response. What would you expect to get in a reply from your response? This person is passionate enough to voice his opinion and I do not believe you will change his mind or educate him on the large amount of game Alaskan's harvest that need to be harvested.

Keep us updated if your respond and how he responds to you. Maybe this will be a way for hunters to do homework on antis.

I wonder if this person is a vegetarian. If not, well he has no leg to stand on. I bet where his house was built, a critters home was destroyed.

Good luck

Default As a colleague

Quote Originally Posted by AKteach View Post
    This morning I got an email from some guy in Florida. I am inclined to Ignore it but part of me wants to reply in hope I can educate this Guy. Here is is his email. Would you reply? or ignore?

Maybe, since you are both educators, that he will read your message(s) with an open mind, in the end you may both agree to disagree, but you have the chance to tell your story.

I am concerned that he worded his message with the intent to put you on the defensive ("
    how can you be so proud after killing"; "Did you check if that animal had a family?"). I read these statements as someone looking for an argument, not a rational discussion.

With any luck you will be in a position to educate those 'hundreds of students' on the concepts of hunting.

Best of luck...

Dear Mr. Londono,

Thank you for your comments. Yes it is a beautiful animal and I'm proud of the fact I hunted in in a fair chase manner consistant with the laws and regulations of our state in its own environment. Of course I used the meat of this animal, Alaska has strict wanton waste laws and besides, a good hunter eats the meat of the animal he takes. It is obvious we live in entirely different states with quite different attitudes and beliefs. Mountain goat are in absolutely no risk of becoming "exterminated" within the State of Alaska. The population haas continued to grow through out the state. Please remember, mountain goat do not live in "family" groups so its immaterial if it had a family. I certainly hope this animal was able to pass on its trophy genes. As a teacher I feel part of my responsibility to be an example to my students as a safe, ethical hunter. I applaud your efforts to save animals, I assume this also means you are a very strict vegitarian.

I would have to respond to it. I just don't get it, people have been hunting animals since the begining, we are part of the food chain. Good response!

The guy is obviously an idiot and doesnt understand anything about game management techniques. He lives in an overpopulated metropolis where people have pushed out most forms of wild animals. He should feel sorry about the wildcats that once occupied his region is very healthy numbers.

My thoughts.....

I wonder if this "teacher" fulfilled his duties to provide complete information to his students.

Did he state that ADF&G manages this species and limits the harvest to what the population will bear without becoming "extinct"?

Did he research his data before looking for an immediate reaction by his students?

Did he state that the meat from such an animal is required to be completely removed from the field or face penalties?

Did he explain that wild game is not chemically enhanced, caged, etc....

Did he explain that the person performing the hunt was not doing drugs, hanging out in gangs etc....

If not, he is not a teacher, just another uninformed individual with access to our children.

Default My question

"I went to your website at http://www.asdk12.org/home.asp

Why was he on the ASD site, AND he states HUNTING which the ASD site isn't. What was he actually hunting for?

And email him back and tell him it came after you with a knife, you had to defend yourself.
    You also polled it's "family" and they said they would pay you for taking him out.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Write him back AKteach in a non-confrontational manner. Maybe you can open a dialog with him and educate him on a way of life that is foreign to him. Maybe as an educator he will pass that info on to his students as well. If not, then he does not embrace diversity which they are supposedly teaching in schools these days.

He would absolutely freak if he walked into some schools here in Fairbanks. I work for the school district and there are as some really nice mounts in the schools. Moose, sheep, etc. In fact in one school they have a full body mount caribou.

I noticed his email address is dadeschools. As in Dade county. Isn't that where they don't know how to punch a ballot?

Don't think I would reply; you won't change his view....and he may be just baiting you for more...

However; I find it interesting that if you would show that to hundreds of student in Alaska; the outcome would be quite different; may be respect, cool, jealousy, motivation...from Alaska kids.

Free range, hormone-free meat.

Instead of filling up your shopping cart . . .

I would have to respond. Like many of the others I think there may be an opportunity to offer a bit of info to his class. I would talk about hunting ethics and tie it to a relevant issue in his area, specifically the recreational closure of Red Snapper and Grouper fishing while commercial fishing continues unabated. You could also talk about habitat preservation and who is most active in supporting these efforts both there and in Alaska. Couple that with sportsmanís efforts to provide habitat (artificial reefs), the ban on Gill netting and other sportsmanís initiatives, which benefited his region and I think you will have a discussion he may be willing to provide to his class. You may even want to talk a little about organic vs farmed meat.

Some of the places you can find info on this is THEFRA.ORG, Coastal Conservation Organization, The Snook Foundation, and Spearboard.comĒ. A big part of my conversation with him would be to suggest he has already told his students what to think about hunting without allowing them to form their own opinions. He is limiting their critical thinking skills. I would ask if he would read your response to the class without being critical of your comments.

The liability with this is it may provide some sort of a talking points paper if he can manipulate your comments to his side of the story. However, he is already tainting the opinions of the kids in his class and this may be an opportunity to offer an opposing opinion.

Just my Nickel
    Drew
    Normal people believe that if something ain't broke, don't fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet.

Scott Adams

I would respond but in a friendly and informative way. Kill him with kindness
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Wink

I would tell him that I didn't want to kill him, but he was being mean to the other goats.

I think this "teacher" is just looking for an argument. If this person was an honest seeker of truth you would have received an email asking these questions before your photos were shown to the students. I do like Bill's response. Non confrontational, yet informative. If that does not encourage a positive dialog... then go Ted Nugent on his @#$
    At sea, it's force not reason that confers sovereign rights

Dear Mr. Londono:

I am quite proud of my accomplishment of hunting, dispatching, field dressing, and eating that beautiful animal. For your information, animals don't socialize in "families" like humans. They separate from their "parents" relatively soon and live life independently. You are quite correct that we live in very different dimensions. Alaska still retains the wildness that was lost in Florida at least a century ago. I'm sorry for your loss.

You are among so many now trying to "save the animals". From what, I don't know. Hunting is a biological tool used by wildlife managers worldwide. I would have thought that as a teacher, you would have known that. I guess not.

Animals do not have a right to life. People don't even have a right to life. See Roe v. Wade.

All the best,

An Alaskan Hunter

Talking

LOL,
    I think I would respond back to him.

And tell him to me contact later, as I am leaving for a guaranteed (canned) cape buffalo hunt in Dade county, then on to a guaranteed wild boar hunt also in Dade county, then with time permitting a little deer and quail hunting also in Miami/Dade county.

Any how, sounds like your being baited, most likely by a teacher that can extend his left arm and touch the ground.

Have fun !!

I get crap like this every so often, from veggies and other "more Noble than Thou" hunters ........I just invite them to follow, but they never do.........its the only way they would understsnd anyway.......

Die Hard The Hunter
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast