Thread: Results for new improved motor for my Ace Line Hauler

Default Results for new improved motor for my Ace Line Hauler

RPMs (no load) of older motor = 49. RPMs of "40% faster" motor = 61. I see that as an increase in RPMs of 24%, not the advertised 40%. I've sent an e-mail to the manufacturer asking them to explain the difference in percentages.

It's too bad I can't give you some of the R.P.M's from my e-dyne. That baby is border line,"all I can handle".

I have a buddy with that improved ace motor, i'll check and see what kind of results he's getting.
    Mike

Default didn't know

I got a Ace Line last year. So are you saying they are making an upgraded motor for it? I notice with the current one I have I can do 3 pots on one string, but 2 works better. How much did that upgrade cost?

Is the ACE brand noisy? I have the endurance brand. It looks just like the ACE, but it's noisy as can be. Wonder if I could swap it for the new motor or something.

Newer motor. Not sure exactly how new. Claim 40% faster. Around $195 or so plus about $21 shipping USPS. Not noisy at all. A pretty quiet electric motor. Still waiting for a response from the company about their 40% faster claim.

Default Does it say...

Does it say "Up to 40%"??? If so, then 24% is on the way "up to" 40%, you see a lot of claims like that so read it again and see!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasgun View Post
    It's too bad I can't give you some of the R.P.M's from my e-dyne. That baby is border line,"all I can handle".

I have a buddy with that improved ace motor, i'll check and see what kind of results he's getting.
    Mike
    I did a quick rpm count on the 30:1 gearbox model Electra Dyne i have for a demo and came up with 110 rpm no load. I also tied 4 large buckets of shrimp crack together on a rope and ran it up through the davit block, no different sound out of the gearbox(still quiet) and it 2 blocked the load up no problem, i think if i left it on it would rip the handles off the buckets.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    I did a quick rpm count on the 30:1 gearbox model Electra Dyne i have for a demo and came up with 110 rpm no load. I also tied 4 large buckets of shrimp crack together on a rope and ran it up through the davit block, no different sound out of the gearbox(still quiet) and it 2 blocked the load up no problem, i think if i left it on it would rip the handles off the buckets.
    It's just to bad the electra dyne isn't the same size as the Ace. I would buy one in a minute if it was even close to the same size. I guess when I buy a bigger boat I'll buy a bigger puller to with it.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    Newer motor. Not sure exactly how new. Claim 40% faster. Around $195 or so plus about $21 shipping USPS. Not noisy at all. A pretty quiet electric motor. Still waiting for a response from the company about their 40% faster claim.
    Also B&J's can order you one for $225 includes shipping.

I just looked at the business card the Ace salesman gave me at the Sportsman's show. The card says the new motor is 40% faster. When I called to place the order for the motor, the company told me is was actually something like 38 or 39% faster. So maybe it's ok they rounded up. Or maybe not ok. I'd be happy with 35% faster. Maybe they're comparing how fast the new motor is vs. the motor when it's under a load. The company usually calls me the same day or next day after I e-mail them questions but no contact yet. I'll let them know that I have potential buyers waiting for their answer and see if that rattles their cage a little.

Yes, there are bigger, better, faster pullers out there just like there are always bigger, better, faster cars and boats. But it all depends on what you want to spend, the convenience, etc. If I had a bigger deck, I might have a bigger puller. But the Ace suites my purposes right now.

Default Me too on the Ace

I like the ED but have no where to mount/store the thing. I don't have a place where it could be permanantly mounted.

I was thinking for the next one (same boat) would be the Saf-T-Puller. Any one have one? Thoughts?
    Nice thing is it would store just as easy as my Ace.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Default torque

Does this new upgrade give you more torque/power? If it simply spins the wheel faster with no more torque/power to do that, it will take even more man power to pull the pots up. You'll have to give us a review after you take it out.

No load speed doesn't really tell you what matters. Test the motors under load. If the new motor is a lot bigger than the old one (lots more copper), the no load speed of the two motors could actually be the same and you could still get 40% faster pulling when hauling up a heavy pot. My guess is that the new motor has a combination of more copper and a different torque constant, so you are onlyseeig half of what you are looking for at no load. (or the advertising is way off)
    Big_E

Quote Originally Posted by vaaler View Post
    No load speed doesn't really tell you what matters. Test the motors under load. If the new motor is a lot bigger than the old one (lots more copper), the no load speed of the two motors could actually be the same and you could still get 40% faster pulling when hauling up a heavy pot. My guess is that the new motor has a combination of more copper and a different torque constant, so you are onlyseeig half of what you are looking for at no load. (or the advertising is way off)
    Big_E
    I just got a call from the manufacturer and you are right on. First of all, they confirmed that it's 38% faster and that they fudge it to say 40%. That's fine.
    The testing they did was with it under load, pulling one pot. That's when it's supposed to be faster than the old motor. The new motor has more torque. Different gearing, more windings, etc. From the outside, the old and new motors look the same so you can't tell that way, either.

Looking at my rpms, they said that it looks like the batteries I was running the test on were not at 12V and the 61 rpm I got with the new motor should be around 67-68. Since you'd also be increasing the rpms of the old motor, too, the percent gain I recorded would not change so that's not an arguement they're making. Just that even not under a load, I wasn't seeing the rpms that I should have seen.

Hopefully I'll be able to tell the difference when pulling pots. Since I won't be switching the motors back and forth to see the difference when I'm pulling, I won't have any rpm or speed differences to report.

Default Real-use test for new improved pot puller motor

Used it for the first time this weekend. Pulling 2 and 3 pots per string. 40% faster they say. I sure couldn't tell. I'd say if you have an old motor and it's working fine, then keep it and spend your $200+ on something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    I like the ED but have no where to mount/store the thing. I don't have a place where it could be permanantly mounted.

I was thinking for the next one (same boat) would be the Saf-T-Puller. Any one have one? Thoughts?
    Nice thing is it would store just as easy as my Ace.

I have the Safe-T-Puller on my boat, and it is great. I think it is rated at something like 200 lbs. I pull 4 pots from 650' with no noticable load on it. Not that 4 pots is a limit it has, it is just what I do with it. I would recommend it highly.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Good to know Skydiver. Thanks for posting up the test.

That sucks to hear, I just got my new moter before I headed to work.
    Only good thing is I didn't have to pay for it
    Those guys at Ace have the best customer service ever IMHO