Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kuiu run

Default Kuiu run

After a long winter I dreamed up a scheme to run my little boat around Baranof to Kuiu for some Black bear action solo. The following photos attempt to share some of the adventure. I really like this board and hope you all enjoy the photos as much as I enjoyed the adventure.

Here is the skiff and the shore camp once I got there. It was a 110 mile run, by GPS.

Note the levatating cooler, new through Cabelas, perfect for bear country.

I was well geared with light weight stuff and enough for a week. I didn't need it though and was on the next incomming tide for a run up Chatham.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bear

Here is the bear I shot. He's an old bruiser with a huge skull and body. It took everything I had to haul him from the kill site to the kayak. Then I had a four mile paddle agaist an incomming tide in the dark to get out of the flood zone in the estuary. It was a one foot at a time ordeal. He's definatly got over 20" skull from my initital estimates.

Default Running home

I stopped in Baranof Warm springs for a soak and celebration. The wildlife on the way home was incredible. I saw more Brown Bears than Black Bears on this trip.

Default The final approach

This is the scene approaching town and one cool waterfall.

SE AK at it's finest!

Default Last photos

opps forgot to attach em to the last post.

What a great bear! Sounds like a great trip, too. Spring sure comes early in your neck of the woods. Spring has finally hit here in south central. Thanks for posting.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

That does it...I'm moving to Sitka.

May I just say that you, sir, are a machine. You never cease to impress with your hunt reports. Congratulations, and keep it coming!

That is a dandy bear Horse. Even better that you got to stop at warmsprings on the way home, I love that place.

Incredible pictures, looks like a great adventure. Congrats on the bear and thanks for posting your story.

Great bear and trip. I think us SE guys need to get together and agree to submit picts only of ugly days and small critter. Too many guys are going to want to move here and the next thing you know we'll be known as South Anchorage.

Thumbs up

Talk about a hog of a blackie! Good job and nice writeup as usual. Thanks for sharing again.

Nice work! 110 miles is a pretty good run! How about a few more pics of the bear and the noggin?

Congrats on your hunt !!!........looks like your livin' the good life....thanks for posting pics......I'm sure we'll see more kills from you this upcoming season........

Thanks for sharing your adventure, what a great bear too! SE is certainly a special place, always like to see folk's get out and enjoy it.

Default Very nice!

Can't wait to get down to Sitka to hunt with my buddy there! A couple more years of work, then retirement and lots of time to HUNT!

How big is your skiff?

I gotta give you Kudos man! Looks like one heck of a run, and a nice bear to boot!

Awesome bear and great story! Congratulations on what must have been a ton of work.

Besides the great bear, looks like a beautiful rifle with a nice stock. What brand inflatable canoe/kayak was that, by the way. How did it handle with the big load?

Thanks for sharing!

Well done! Nice bear and looks like a great trip, I miss the solo hunts.

That was one great hunting trip! Thanks for the pics!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Default More info

So I've been outside with this bear all day. My wife says I gotta have another rug. She was impressed by the overall quality of this bear.

The skull is out and by my rough estimate It's 20.5". It's missing a top K9 and missing other smaller teeth.

The Kayak is an Advanced Elements 17' inflatable. It handled well until I overloaded it and the bears claws punctured the floor. Then it just kinda folded in the middle and tracked very poorly. It was kinda hairy at times while fighting the flood tide in the dark. I was using the stars and mountain outlines to navigate.

I've got all the meat ready for processing and the hide will be fleshed really good tommorow.

Here is one more field photo showing more head. I thought he was knarly and was gonna pass on doing a mount......oh well, the wife is always right, eh?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast