Thread: Little Susitna float trip

Default Little Susitna float trip

Does anyone know where I can put my raft in so I have a 1 day float to the Burma Landing> Thanks for your help

Default Little Su-

Welcome to Outdoors Directory!

I don't float that area much (there are some here that do, and hopefully they'll chime in on this). Seems to me that you'd have to put in at the Parks Highway and float down to the Little Susitna Access Road, which is just over 50 miles. Because the Little Su is so slow, I would not count on doing this in one day. Not even on our longest day! You're looking at two very long days, or three at a more reasonable pace. Maybe someone else has something on this though, that I don't know about.

You might check out Karen Jettmar's Alaska River Guide or perhaps a copy of the Matanuska Valley Map we have in the bookstore here. They provide a great overview of the area.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I've floated that in one day (canoe) in the spring when the river was high and flowing well. It's an EASY two day float. You can put in at the highway, but if you want to avoid the tight turns at the beginning then put in millers reach road area. I can't say if that is still available because its been a few years since I've used it. Have fun.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

My raft renters headed that way plan on a long weekender... Water is slow current w/ lots of bends/turns. Most make it in two, but really push it and are on water early morning to late evening paddling the whole time.

three days is perfect for this float. 2 days is a lot of work.

KLICKMAN

The time I made it in one day was the trip I used a kicker motor on my canoe to get through the dead water. But I've never taken 3 days and I've floated this trip many times. You guys must stop often. In fact I could have made it in one day a couple of times when fishing was slow but decided to hold up a few miles up river just to camp. Note, I've never rafted this, always canoe's, but rafts can't be that much slower. Drifting is drifting but maybe they are....

Default Generally speaking--

It's been my experience that on most Class I rivers you're doing pretty good to float ten miles a day. But that's in a float hunting context, where you may be in and out of the boat a few times, and it's without running an outboard.

Assassin, you are running a canoe, and that's considerably faster than a raft that's floating dead-drift. That's probably why your drift time is a lot shorter.

As I said, I don't float that part of the Little Su, so I don't know... but I do suspect that most folks are looking at part (or most) of three days to do this.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    It's been my experience that on most Class I rivers you're doing pretty good to float ten miles a day. But that's in a float hunting context, where you may be in and out of the boat a few times, and it's without running an outboard.

Assassin, you are running a canoe, and that's considerably faster than a raft that's floating dead-drift. That's probably why your drift time is a lot shorter.

As I said, I don't float that part of the Little Su, so I don't know... but I do suspect that most folks are looking at part (or most) of three days to do this.

-Mike
    Yeah Mike, I should also add water level makes a huge difference as time goes as well, I've hit it when it was very high and hardly ever got out to drag my boat to getting out 50 times if I got out once to drag it over riffles late in the season. Those trips sucked.

As others have noted, you really can't do it in a raft in one day. There is just no way unless the water is really ripping and your idea of a float is in a zodiak with a 35 hp jet on the back. Heck it takes forever in my jon boat just to get to lake creek (Nancy Lake outlet) from Burma and I am not sure that is even half way up to the Parks. It is a worthwhile float though with lots of wildlife, good fishing, and nice areas to camp.

Default Thanks Mike

I will keep researching, I just want to get that new raft in the water. Thanks again!
    Craig

Quote Originally Posted by Little Susie View Post
    I will keep researching, I just want to get that new raft in the water. Thanks again!
    Craig
    Hey when you get that boat in the water, shoot some pics up here to the forums, okay? It's a nice looking boat- especially let us know how that paint Tracey was talking about works for you guys. Might be helpful for folks looking to paint numbers on their PVC boats...

You might give Willow Creek a shot, from the highway bridge down to the mouth. It's a nice float that you can do in three hours straight through. We did it for years with the kids and it was perfect as a day float or even an overnighter. Can get a bit loggy in places, so be careful.

-Mike

3 days of float it's 57 miles from the parks to burma, nancy lake creek is only down about 7 from the parks. There's only a few gravel bars below lake creek so when it gets late don't pass them up thinking anothers close they are few and far between. Bring extra trash bags, to take out what doesn't burn
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Susie View Post
    Craig
    I just got a raft a couple of weeks ago. I wanted to take it out with little kids first, so we floated knik from old glen to new glen. It was very wide, very slow and we had to row quite a bit to make it in 4 hours.

I floated williow creek two days later (last Monday). As Mike mentioned, there were a few logs & tight spots where you have to ship your oars, but it was fun.

The little sui sounds like a good float also, but definitely an longer trip.

Default parks floats

I spend a lot of time on the parks streams. The little willow is the easiest and offers a good put in and take out. Allow 3.5-4 hours straight float time. The kink is a beautiful float with the mountains right there but the traffic and up stream wind takes away for the enjoyment. Allow 4.5-7hours depending on wind. The willow is a little low right now. I floated it this past weekend and had to drag twice. If this is your first time, when you get to the log jam mid river, stay river left. It looks better to the right but that is not the case. Allow 4.5 hours

All of the above are great floats and both the willows have good to great fishing. Check the regs as it catch and release for trout now.

Donít overlook the Matanuska. This is a great day float and can be stretched into an overnight. A good day trip is kings mountain to kings river. A couple class 2s and 1 class 2.5 at very high water. Allow 4-5 hours float time.

The Little Su is a great 3 day, and a good 2 day. Remote feeling for most of the float lots of places to camp and very smooth water. I would not even try it on a one day.

I hope this helps. let me know if you have any questions.

2013-07-29_19-01-20_184.jpg

Just did the float in my canoe, millers reach to burma landing, water was pretty low in a lot of places. It took 17 hours with just me paddeling. Plus fished along the way down, mostly from the canoe and had to take a couple short breaks for the kid. Surprisingly the fishing was best within the first 10 miles of the float.