Thread: Big Lake ice gone?

Default Big Lake ice gone?

Would like to take the boat to Big Lake this weekend to test out. Anybody know if the ice is out yet?

It had a good deal of rotten ice on it yesterday. I hope today's winds broke it apart so it will be a memory.

Just got back from north shore no ice some at burkeshore but should be gone tommorrow.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Another option would be putting in at Lake Lucille (depending on the size of your boat of course). Its 100% free of ice.. used it to test run yesterday.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

When the ice goes out on the lake, are there normally pieces floating around that somebody with a boat would want to totally melt before running a boat in it?

I called Burkeshoe on Monday and they said they only had about 20 feet opened at their shore. 1 guy there said he figured it would be open up on Friday?
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

I say just go to Whittier....the ice is out there right? LOL

Default Big lake ice

Needed to run the Cessna c-180, today I flew over Big Lake on the way to Willow, flight was "as rough as a cobb" but the north half of Big Lake is ice free and after the narrows the south end is about 50% free with two big sheets, you can work your way around if you hang left and go around an island again to the left....

hope this helps

Thanks. Wow, an ice spotter

Default Flying to Fast!

Big lake Ice free this afternoon, Air smooth.. 100 MPH ;o) Love a Cub
    Low and slow..