Thread: No Bear in icicle creek

Default No Bear in icicle creek

If you're going bear hunting in icicle creek or anywhere around, good luck cause we hiked round trip of 22 miles and didn't see one bear or moose. pretty disapointing!

Default maybe

you were too early - wait a couple of weeks & try again.
    OR
    maybe you were walking too much & not glassing enough.
    at least you got your exercise.
    Gary

The only thing one day proves is you saw no bears on that day. Go back, and spend a couple of nights if you really want to find bears.

Thanks for the report. I was going to be up that way, but ended up going shrimping instead. A few thoughts on the area, though: Since Icicle Creek is the first place you can legally hunt, it probably gets more pressure than areas further upriver. It is also a fairly narrow point of the valley, and once you're off the trail by 1/4 mile (as required by regulation), you don't have much area to hunt without climbing a very steep mountain. Based on pressure and terrain, you might do better to go a few miles further.

I once saw 27 black bears in one hike of the Crow Pass trail over a few days. They may just be waking up, but there are LOTS of bears somewhere in that valley.

I spent considerable time in that valley when looking for goats a couple of years ago, and i saw LOTS of Black Bear...Of course, its a heck of a climb to get back up into that valley... And as far as there being moose up in the valley, good luck on that. The terrain isn't moosey and its very steep and nasty. I guess its possible, but not a place i would ever look for moose...

It's still early. This coming weekend it will pick up, and the following weekend they will all be out in force. I always go the 3rd week of May and there is no shortage of bears, by the fourth week they are starting to rub.

JB

Default This post

must mean you saw a some "hogs" and are going back after them!

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    I spent considerable time in that valley when looking for goats a couple of years ago, and i saw LOTS of Black Bear...Of course, its a heck of a climb to get back up into that valley... And as far as there being moose up in the valley, good luck on that. The terrain isn't moosey and its very steep and nasty. I guess its possible, but not a place i would ever look for moose...
    Seen tons of moose poop, it was everywhere

i can attest to this, me and a couple buddies went to icicle on the 1st and it is way to early, stayed four days back there. Saw one nice 8fter but everytime we went up after him the wind swirled. He was on the cliffs! the sheep and goat were lower than he was, and when you get to the top of the hills expect chest deep snow, we plan on going back there in a couple of weeks to tag this one.

p.s. skeeters were getting bad so by the end of may they'll be horrible.

only saw that one bear and we sat in the river bed glassing for hours at a time.....

as for moose up high? there was moose tracks and scat up on the top near the cliffs, i thought i was seeing things.

I take it when you say you saw an 8 footer you were talking about a brown bear. 8 foot black bears are pretty rare around these parts.

nope, have you been back there? big blackies and browns

Yes, i've been back there many times and have never seen a black bear that would go much over 7 foot, nevermind 8. Sorry but I'd have to see that bear to believe it was an 8 footer and even then.......

that would def have to be a record book black bear

Default Bear

Way easier, more accessible, and more open areas to hunt black bears. Head to the Kenai Peninsula...
    This area is very tough area to hunt, steep, THICK, wet... Head south bud!

Default North Crow Pass

Went in 5/1,2,and 3. Fantastic w/e sun, sun and more sun. Def early but good to get out and get your sheep/goat hunting legs in shape. Only saw one blackie.. a good one well over 6' but not even close to 8'. We went up after him and he was also above the goats???? Post-holed for a good long time about hip deep and came back w/o a bear but still could not beat the weekend. Icicle is not very far in. You need to be in farther for better bear hill sides this time of year. Later in the month they will be on every hill side up there.