Thread: traditional shooter ?

Default traditional shooter ?

I started shooting longbow a few years back and have practiced quite a bit and read a lot on form and everything else... from what I read you are supposed to keep your draw arm in line with your bow arm, but i am on the taller side 6'3" and to do that I would pull the arrow off the shelf, I was wondering if anyone has any helpful advise on this, it is hard to have a smooth release without the arm inline with the arrow, I shoot full legnth shafts, when I used to shoot compound I shot 31" and had a release Anyone shoot tradbow in Homer area?

Quote Originally Posted by fold308 View Post
    I started shooting longbow a few years back and have practiced quite a bit and read a lot on form and everything else... from what I read you are supposed to keep your draw arm in line with your bow arm, but i am on the taller side 6'3" and to do that I would pull the arrow off the shelf, I was wondering if anyone has any helpful advise on this, it is hard to have a smooth release without the arm inline with the arrow, I shoot full legnth shafts, when I used to shoot compound I shot 31" and had a release Anyone shoot tradbow in Homer area?
    Bend your bow arm at the elbow and turn your body to face your target just a bit. That will shorten your draw length somewhat. Works ok for me.

Sorry I don't have a good answer to your question but if you go to tradgang.com and post your question on the shooters forum I'm sure you'll get some helpful advice. Best of luck...

shoot asbell style....howard hill also had to shoot with a bent elbow for the same reason asbell bends crouches stoops and contorts himself....tall guys with long draws. Howard did it due to finding correct spined shafts.

You could also try shooting some footed shafts....by full length cedars then foot them...what sucks is you'll need such a crazy high spine to pull it off, though it would work. If you consider this, doug fir is some good stuff and you can get spines stiff enough you'd need to make it happen.

Another would be to shoot a longbow, heel down, not straight wrist (asbell style). You can keep Freds crouch style, however the heel down will shorten your draw even more if you're not already doing this.

Default thank you much

I will have to give those ideas a try, shooting footed shafts would be tough, I would really be mad on the days I loose a few arrows on rabbits or bunnies! and the other problem with the long draw is how much my bows stack up those last few inches and it doesnt help on long plane rides either

What are you shooting? I like long longbows, 66/68"ers, but have gone to take downs more for backpack hunts and bush flights then anything.

You can do a simple 2 splice easy enough. Doesnt take much of a jig to get it going. A 4 point or 3 point splice is a different story all together.

For spine, definatly look at surewood shafts. You may contact them and see, they may be able to accomadate you length and you could forgo the footing all together.

If you want to get together and play with some 4 point foots, I'll have to get my gear back up and going again, and tweak my rounding jig, so it would be more of a winter project, that option is open. The wood working part (splicing) isnt hard, it's the rounding of the foot that's giving me fits. Got some idears to fix this.....havent screwed with them much in awhile now. It'll be a good excuse for me to get things going on them again.

Another place to check is Allegany mt arrow woods I think it's called...google that, they'll come up. he may be able to accomodate you length wise also. I am pretty sure all or atleast most of his stuff is hardwoods. I REALLY like ash if you do go to a hardwood. Maple warped to much, birch is birch, did ok. But not as good as the ash I've played with.

Let me know if I can help....If nothing else I can show you how to set up for a 2 point footed shaft. YOu can call traditional bowhunter mag, there was some old articles on this subject, and I think 3 rivers archery or kustom king sells a jig for doing it.....though you dont really need it if you have a disc sander big enough to grind the angles on. The jig is pretty simple.

i shoot a black widow 55@28" 64", i don't know what poundage it stacks up to at my draw but its a lot, I also have a chek-mate crusader its 49@28" it is a 66 incher

i might have to look into shooting footed shafts, sounds like a fun learning how to do it, have to start the self-bow one of these days too

What is your actual draw length with the widow? And Crusader? Throat of nock to back of point, and how much if any over hang do you have?

My go to bow for a few years was a crusader.....really sweet shooting bow! I had the td, phenolic riser, yew limbs, really loved it and it shot extremely well.

To find out how bad and where they stack you can do a force draw curve.