Thread: 350 gr Barnes TSX for moose and B. Bear?

Default 350 gr Barnes TSX for moose and B. Bear?

In the 458 WM, what do you think of using the 350gr Barnes for brown bear and moose? I would rather learn from the experience of others who have used them, especially if they didn't work out too well. There are several good choices of .458 bullets in the 350 - 450 gr, so it's difficult to decide. Help me decide on a .458 bullet in that weight range. Of course I'll use it on black bear too, if I get the chance. I think anything in .458 lighter than 350gr is too light, and anything heavier than 450gr is not necessary.

Thanks,
    KB

If I were only after moose and brown bears I would go with the 450s. Neither animal should be a long range affair and with a scope it should shoot just fine out to 150-200 yards. That's plenty in my book.

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by Kabluewy View Post
    In the 458 WM, what do you think of using the 350gr Barnes for brown bear and moose? I would rather learn from the experience of others who have used them, especially if they didn't work out too well. There are several good choices of .458 bullets in the 350 - 450 gr, so it's difficult to decide. Help me decide on a .458 bullet in that weight range. Of course I'll use it on black bear too, if I get the chance. I think anything in .458 lighter than 350gr is too light, and anything heavier than 450gr is not necessary.

Thanks,
    KB
    Dang, for a second, I thought you were taling about this: http://barnesbullets.myshopify.com/p...-350-gr-tsx-fb

I shoot the 350gr TSX out of my 458 and while Ive never used it on game it is supremely accurate in my rifle and I can get right at 2500fps out of my 20" barrel with no pressure signs. I don't think that anything up here really requires a bullet over 350gr in the 458, and I know a fellow who has great success with the 300gr TSX out of his Lott.

I may have to shoot a black bear with it in the next couple weeks just to test it out.