Thread: Video of my tunnel working

Default Video of my tunnel working

My 2nd post. You guys rock! Thanks for all the help on my first post. Some forums suck know one replys to my posts. If anyone else has anything to add about my float pods please fire away with any thoughts. I did not start building them yet.
    I added a tunnel to my 1975 16' hewes craft river runner with a 1998 Suzuki 140 2-stroke EFI. Today was my first test run. Here is a link to 3 videos I shot. It does not cavitate at all going straight even in mild chop or on a reasonable turn. Hard turns it cavitates pretty good. I am going to put a pic of the tunnel on here to so you guys can see it. I am thinking of cutting some of the sides at an angle to get better perfomance in hard turns. Look at all this and let me know your thoughts. I have never had a jet sled with a tunnel and do not know where the happy medium is between no cavitation going straight and know cavitation on hard turns. From what I have read really hard turns at speed are out of the question. I will post the video from shore of how the boat performs latter tonight or tomarrow. The quality sucks but it is still verry cool. Please post pointer and thought if I should modify it and how. Thanks Rusty

Photo of tunnel http://i1034.photobucket.com/albums/...azy/tunnel.jpg

Video 1
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vg0rMP0CMo4

Video 2
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLHa4hc8xB0

Video 3
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWONJ_UHWkc

It looks like it works fairly well? None of the vids show how works when turning, it appears the tunnel may be too narrow, when the foot swings does it still get a good water feed from the tunnel?

OB jets has some dimensons on sizing a tunnel, I think it would be a excellent guide, about 1/2 way down the sheet are their recomended dimensions: http://www.outboardjets.com/boatSelection.php

I used a rubber flap to cover the top of the tunnel and down the sides of the tunnel and brought it as far back as I could and not interfer with the foot, it was an experiment and so far it works great, I have a lift so the rubber is a lot more forgiving than a piece of UHMW or a piece of plastic, with the rubber "boot" it allows me to raise the front of the foot almost a full inch above the roof of the tunnel and you can feel the boat speed up (and see it on the GPS) when I raise it up. If the boat is light I will need to lower the foot back down some to get a clean hole shot. If heavy there is very little cavatation on take off.

It will only cav. on a really hard turn, one that would be enough to bring the boat off step. I think is fairly common.

Also because of the lift the tunnel extension and rubber come back quite a way and the sides of the tunnel connect to the sides of the pods, it really contains and directs the water quite well.

I wll try to take a photo tommorow, I have switched over to the prop so, will not be able to show the foot in the photo.

John
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Cool I look forward to the pics. I need to get the rubber top on and I think I will cut the sides off my tunnel when I get the pods on. I am so pumped the boat is running soooo much higher in the water. The video from the shore of the boat is comming as we speak. It is long and the filming is not the best so don't get board. Remember this was my first outing so don't judge my driving skill yet I am not used to it yet. THANKS!

Smile Video from shore 1st time out with tunnel

Last edited by 999crazy; 05-09-2010 at 23:41. Reason: number vid

I don't anything about it, but the boat looks good and looks like your just running inches deep, nice.

Thanks. It is a real improvement for sure.

Default Tunnel pics

A couple of pics, my tunnel is 14-1/2" wide at the top, but my motor has the large pump so the foot is wide.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TR

Default Couple more pics

Did you get a chance to check the dimensions of your tunnel compared to the numbers put out by Outboard jet?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    TR

No I have not. My boat is in my dads shop about 20 min from my house I will not get out there until Wed. Your pictures are great! I am so glad I got to see these before I build my float pods. I will be building them the weekend of the 22nd. The rubber piece looks like it works great. The way the tunnel is tied into the float pods is a great design. I will let you know the measurements wed night. Thanks for the pics. I have 2 weeks to build these in my brain before I start building them.

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    Did you get a chance to check the dimensions of your tunnel compared to the numbers put out by Outboard jet?
    Ok I measured it my tunnel is 29" 9" of the 29" I added so it would come out and wrap around the foot. It is 11" wide. 3" deep. Compared to the Outboard jet specs it is not right on but it is in the ball park. I am going to copy your float pod design with the way it is built into the tunnel. Then cut those sides I added the tunnel off. I think it is going to work great and if it doesnt I will mess with it till it does. Thanks Rusty

Default Where to get the rubber?

Hey AKGramps, where did you get that rubber, or what is it cut off of? it looks like it works better than uhmw would on my set up.
    Thanks!
    Chris

Default Alaska Rubber

Its a piece of 3/8 from Ak Rubber and Rigging here in Fairbanks, I think they have a store in Anch or Wasilla?

Its not belted, but plenty flexible

It did work as good as I had hoped, not often things go like that.........!
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by 999crazy View Post

That is sweet!!! I have an 18' river runner '78 and am contemplating putting a jet on it. I would like to do exactly what you did to the transom and get rid of the wood sandwiched aluminum that came from the factory. How did that go welding it to a riveted boat and do you have any pic of the whole tunnel from the bottom? Where you stopping in the video from cavitations or just doing hole shots? Sorry for all the questions, but seeing a 140 on a boat I would have never considered putting something bigger than a 115 on opens my mind!

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by ryandbrett View Post
    but seeing a 140 on a boat I would have never considered putting something bigger than a 115 on opens my mind!

Ryan
    Ryan HewesCraft put 140's on the 18 footers stock from the factory. We had one when I was growing up and it was pretty impressive for the size of boat to HP ratio.

Really?! I wonder what the 140 2 stroke weighed back then. Time to do some research! Thanks broncoformudv.

I've been working on my 91 20' river runner. Just started on the tunnel. I'll be running a 140 evinrude. The boat was pretty banged up on the outside chims, going to try to re-enforce them and redesign the bow and wind shield. Had alot of leak threw the rivets. Hoping that i can make it look as nice as yours. I will work on getting a post started. Looks great.