Thread: 1st visitor

Default 1st visitor

This little guy stopped by friday, 6th day since I dropped bait he stayed for 20 minuites.He never touched the barrel ate a few kernels of dog food Would have never known he was there if I hadnt checked the trail cam.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool. What unit?
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

I like the set up

Throw some cooking grease on the ground around your station. When the bear steps in it he'll track it all through the woods and the smell will bring other bears back to your station.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentC View Post
    Throw some cooking grease on the ground around your station. When the bear steps in it he'll track it all through the woods and the smell will bring other bears back to your station.
    I like that idea but wouldn't recommend it. That would fall in the "contaminated" soil issue, which would mean the "contaminated" soil would have to be removed from the field after the bear baiting season or whenever the bag limit of bears have been reached.

A very stupid rule/regulation that obviously only a stupid person could come up with.

Default Yum

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    I like that idea but wouldn't recommend it. That would fall in the "contaminated" soil issue, which would mean the "contaminated" soil would have to be removed from the field after the bear baiting season or whenever the bag limit of bears have been reached.

A very stupid rule/regulation that obviously only a stupid person could come up with.
    If you're getting hit, odds are the bears will eat it... especially if it has even a remote hint of something appealing to a bear - and they eat garbage, rotting flesh, etc. So, I think if it will fit down their throat, they like. Put some bacon grease in it, and you'll be able to put a hot tub in the hole.

Of course, you are correct; if the 'contaminated soil' is still present at the end of the bait season it will require removal.

Default cooking grease

cooking grease NOT GOOD unless you like a lot of brown bears... They love that stuff and will take over a bait just my experience with it i use lots of molasses..
    Bow hunters do it with longer shafts

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat View Post
    cooking grease NOT GOOD unless you like a lot of brown bears... They love that stuff and will take over a bait just my experience with it i use lots of molasses..
    Good point. My bait is in predominant black bear areas. Molasses would work great too. Basically anything that will stick to their paws, that will not easily rub or wash off will work great to track scent through the woods.

From the second picture looks like he might have a white patch on his chest, are they pretty common in your area?

Im in Unit 15,
    I dont like using grease its messy and the brownbears love it, I have mollases, syrup, and ham glaze all over every log, stick, and all over the barrel dont think I will have a problem with him tracking the smell around. That log in the picture he is focused on is covered in mollases and syrup.
    The one I shot last year had a white chevron they are pretty common.

Good lookin' bear!

yep he is, I just need him to start bringin his grandpa in for some chow.