Thread: Scope for sheep?

Default Scope for sheep?

So I have a 300wsm picked out for sheep hunting. Now I need to put a scope on it. Have been looking at the Leupold ultralight 3-9. Would this be enough magnification for sheep? Any other recommendations?

Depends what kind of hunting you do. If you are a long range hunter with some kind of field artillery you will be under scoped. Otherwise you wont be.

Sheep hunting usually needs a light weight gun! I generally use a fixed 4X. A 3-9X has lots of power. In my Humble opinion folks are power mad these days. I went through my 6-18X stage and sold all but one when I realized that they were as handy as a fence post and destroyed the balance on anything shy of 9.5 pounds. They also weren't needed for shots out to 500 yards on big game targets.

I have taken Caribou to 370 yards at 4X. No problem. My sheep gun is a Remington 660 in 6.5 Rem Mag. It has a mini Leupold 4X and shoots 3" groups at 300 yards so set up.

I have a 3-9X Redfield AccuTrack that I have on a flat bolt Ruger in the same caliber. I have had a fair bit of fun testing the turrets to 500 yards and the 9X has never seemed a problem on 6" targets.

Past 500 yards big game is safe from me attempting to shoot them.

The scope will be going on a Browning Mountain Ti. A-bolt. I don't see myself taking any shots past 400yds. I would also like the scope for deer hunting in the early fall when the deer are still up high.

I put a leupold 2.5-8x36 on my Kimber 325. It really just comes down to personal preference and what "fits" your gun the best in your opinion. For me it was the little leupold. Just the right "fit" for the 6lb Kimber. Others like the bigger scopes.

I think either the scope you picked or the Ultralight in 2-7 would be about perfect for that type of rifle. But like another poster I am kinda partial to the Leupold fixed 4 scopes and have never felt underscoped with one on a big game gun.

3-9X Leupold Ultralight would be perfect. Perfect power range for a lightweight .300 IMO. Many people put ridiculously overpowered scopes with all sorts of adjustable objectives, target turrets, etc. on their rifles. I like to keep it simple--aim and shoot. Often you won't have time to worry about setting those fancy gizmos anyway. And one of the huge light-gathering objectives would just weigh you down and probably wouldn't be of any value on a sheep gun anyway. Finally, 9X is plenty for shots at big game at any ethical range (800 yards is not ethical, no matter what the TV shows would have you believe).

I have a Vari-X II, 2x7x33 on my 300 WSM. It has served me well for 7 yrs here in AK with the longest shot right about 300 yds on my first ram. At 7x I can shoot **** nice groups at 500 yds off a bench. With that said, the 3x9 compact would be hard to beat as well. I like to be able to go down to 2x for close up shots in the bruch etc.

I agree with what another feller said, a lot of folks think they need 18x scopes with 50mm objectives to hunt big game - just ain't so! Remember, high magnification won't make up for poor marksmanship at any range nor will it help you out if you don't know where the actual point of impact is at various ranges! Good luck.

Keep it simple - leupold 6x. Excellent optics, and they're light.

I set my .300WSM up with a Leupold 4x- whole package weighs 7lbs ready to go. Simple, easy and it works for as far as I'll ever shoot. A strong second choice would be a fixed 6x and I may try one and switch my 4x to my new .338 one of these days.

I'm a big fan of fixed powers in reasonable magnifications for almost all hunting uses.

Smile nice

That would be a sweet set up. Leupolds are tough. In the field 3x9 will cover it. The only place higher magnification is nice is at the range where higher magnification is fun for me to practice with. In the field it complicates things. Like Vek said a 6x is pretty nice and solid and a lot less to worry about.
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I put a leupold 2.5-8x36 on my Kimber 325. It really just comes down to personal preference and what "fits" your gun the best in your opinion. For me it was the little leupold. Just the right "fit" for the 6lb Kimber. Others like the bigger scopes.
    I envy you guys with the good eyesight. I use a Leupold VX111 4.5X14X40 AO on my 300 RUM for everything and has never let me down.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

I have that set up for sheep on a Kimber Montana 300wsm, the 3x9 ul doesn't have great field of view or eye relief, but overall I'm happy with it. With tally detachables (no levers) I'm under 7lb. My 2x7 VXII is a little easier to find a target with, but a little heavier, I use this on my .375 and as a back up for the sheep gun. I've shot a coues deer at 300+ yd with 9x, I'm not much of a longrange shooter, but 9x was enough power for that range on a pretty small animal. I'd say unless you are making really long shots I doubt you'll be unhappy with the set up.

Default 2.5-8x36

I think the Leupold 2.5-8x36 is almost the perfect carrying around big game scope. I've got two, and I bought one for my nephew's .270. Nice field of view and great eye relief. Also, I've got two, 2-7x32/33 scopes, B&L elite and Nikon Monarch, and my wife has an older Leupold 2-7x33, they are all nice scopes. Now, down south where I'm at, the Leupold compact 3x9 AO is perfect for the Ruger 10/22 and shooting squirrels out of the top of oak trees.

Quote Originally Posted by Redlander View Post
    I think the Leupold 2.5-8x36 is almost the perfect carrying around big game scope. I've got two, and I bought one for my nephew's .270. Nice field of view and great eye relief. Also, I've got two, 2-7x32/33 scopes, B&L elite and Nikon Monarch, and my wife has an older Leupold 2-7x33, they are all nice scopes. Now, down south where I'm at, the Leupold compact 3x9 AO is perfect for the Ruger 10/22 and shooting squirrels out of the top of oak trees.
    From what I have seen the VXIII 2.5-8x36 is just a little heavier with better stats including eye relief. That last one is a key if you don't want to have scope meet brow taking an uphill shot with that light rifle. Of course if you take a ram and eat the scope at the same time I am sure you will be grinning in the photo regardless.

Default S&B Summit

I just ordered one the other day, 2.5-10X40, top optics in the world in a 1" scope, sounds good to me!
    375 Ruger Hawkeye...Mice to Moose, Impala to Buffalo....1 GUN.....WORLDS PURSUIT

Default +3 lupy 2.5-8

*ut one on my Kimber Montana and just thing it makes a great mountain package. Light, good optics and eye relief. Set in the tally lightweight one piece mounts makes a great setup.