Thread: This weekend

Default This weekend

Since a I didn't go out this weekend I spent it getting ready for next. Stitched tattletales every 50 feet in my shrimp lines and ever 25 feet on my anchor line. washed it, rechecked all pumps, charged batteries, re-stored the shrimp lines, pots, halibut weights, poles, hooks, checked all fluids cleaned the dash, vaccumed the cuddy out, ran the pot puller, greased teh zerks on the outboard (oh yea broke one, luckily I have a special kit for taking the threads out and recutting them AND had spare zerks too) lubed the trailer bearings

I swear this is worse than cabin fever.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

I tried to get the lights fixed on my trailer. I'm down to replacing one marker bulb, and figuring out why the right turn signal won't blink. I'm thinking about pulling the wheel bearings to do an inspection on them and need to replace one of the rubber boots.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    I tried to get the lights fixed on my trailer. I'm down to replacing one marker bulb, and figuring out why the right turn signal won't blink. I'm thinking about pulling the wheel bearings to do an inspection on them and need to replace one of the rubber boots.
    Brake light and no blink is a vehicle issue.

Default Still getting prepped

forecast for the weekend looking a litlle sketchy. Hopefully it will turn around.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Wife told me yesterday that as much time as I spend working on the boat, nothing should ever go wrong. Uh, sure.

Yesterday - started engine (whew, always a nail biter) for first time this season, fixed horn that didn't work, bilge pump that didn't work, and replace one of my anchor light bulbs. After I checked the fuses and checked all the wiring and couldn't find out why the pump and horn wouldn't work, I checked the switches. That was it. Simplest thing checked last!

AlaskanMutt - can you tell me more about these tattletales? Have they been discussed in the forum and are there pictures that you know of?

I don't know if AKmutt is doing the same thing... but I have a tattletale that I put on my shrimp line to let me know that my pots are almost to the boat. I put some colored rubber hoochie legs twisted into my line and now when I see rubber legs I start looking over the side for my pots. They've been there for 2 years and haven't come out yet.

Default I cheat

I use a approx # 21 ( http://www.houla.com/tarred.htm ) tarred nylon, run a lenght through the line, double back a loop and then wrap 5 or 6 times. Run the end through the loop and then pull the bitter end Whn I am done I leave a inch or so loose

Look at Whipping Finish Splice method 1
    http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files...h_Whipping.pdf

Pretty close to that.
    We used them in the Coast Guard all the time. Like I said I did every 50 feet for the first 600 on the shrimp lines and every 25 on the anchor lines.
    If anyone here in Anchorage would like to try it let me know, I am willing to show how I do it (I even have a full roll of the tarred nylon)
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Good information. Thanks.